Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 12th 04, 02:23 AM
Rich S.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Probably, as you obviously aren't smart enough to say something that
insightful.

Ok. I invoke the Hitler clause.

Bye.
Rich S.

Old July 12th 04, 04:33 AM
bryan chaisone

Barnyard BOb - wrote in message

1. IF YOU EAT MORE THAN YOU BURN....

YOU WEAR IT.

2. Exercise is great for cardiovascular improvement,
but one can easily eat more than can be exercised away.

3. My doctor sez....

Put whatever you desire on your plate,
then slide half of it off and you will lose weight.

Barnyard BOb -

Bob (a long time time contributor), thank you. Rich S. is right, this
one is a keeper. I like to add that before, we didn't have so many
additives in our food. My grandfather lived to be 104 years old, and
was mobile up to his last days. He has been smoking since he was
fourteen. He grew his own tobacco, rice and vegetables...etc. He
raised his own cows, buffaloes, hogs, chickens...etc. He caught his
own fish and trapped his own wild game. In short he didn't consume
too much chemical. His food and his tobacco didn't have additives. I
believe, that contributed to his good health and longevity.

He demonstrated to me one time when I was very little (maybe five),
that if you light a store bought cigarette and put in down on the
ashtray, it will keep on burning until it burns itself out. He showed
me that hia cigar would burn itself out if left un-puffed or
unattended. He said this was due to additives that cigarette
manufacturer's put into cigarettes to make them keep burning so that
one has to start another cigarette thereby consume more of there
cigarette.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
Old July 12th 04, 05:01 AM
Luke Kilpatrick

What is all the damn mystery and hocus pocus about? If you sit on
your ass for a living, you need to exercise more. If you break a sweat for
more than two hours a day at work, then you're probably alright with the
exercise.
If you are reading this, (statistically, I'm guessing that you're
in the upper tenth percentile of world food intake), then stop eating so
damn much! I mean jeeze, how complicated is that? Ask any third worlder,
and they'll tell you that their entire family gets along fine on what
you're eating.
Eat whatever you want, but don't eat enough every week to power a
gnu for its whole annual migration. None of this is quantum physics, folks.
Your grandmother most likely could have explained it all with far fewer
words than I've used.
Remember Occam's Razor. If you're too fat, then you probably: Don't
get nearly enough exercise, Or, Eat WAY too much food, Or(in most cases),
BOTH.
Note: If you're a carpenter, or stonemason, or blacksmith, and you
eat three ounces of low-fat lettuce a day, then I'm stumped. You must have
been really bad in a former life.
Damn, I'm out of whiskey. End of Rant. Gotta remember to FILL that
glass before posting!

Luke

Is a person who blows up banks an Econoclast?
-Unknown

Old July 12th 04, 12:44 PM

Matt Whiting wrote:

Exercise itself greatly increases metabolism and the extra muscle mass
you create also increases your base metabolic rate so the benefits keep
on accruing even between exercise sessions. That is why any competent

In my case, exercise just makes me more hungry. I may burn a few more
calories, but I eat twice as much. I have been the most successful
not exercising while trying to diet.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old July 12th 04, 12:49 PM
Barnyard BOb -

"Matt Whiting" wrote...

Probably, as you obviously aren't smart enough to say something that
insightful.

Ok. I invoke the Hitler clause.

Bye.
Rich S.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can't we all just get along? super smirk

Barnyard BOb - Zig Heil, Mein Fuhrer
Old July 12th 04, 01:06 PM
Barnyard BOb -

(JSoar) wrote:

I weighed 220 pounds many years ago and thought it was mostly muscle.
Now I weigh an average of 165 pounds, and that muscle turned out to be
useless fat. I ride a bike 3 or 4 times a week for at least an hour,
or walk about the same in the winter. I watch very carefully what I
eat. Just enough protein, like a little bit of fish, no red meat, and
a lot of vegetables, fruit, cereal grains. No junk foods, candy, ice
cream, soda, etc.

It was easy, the exercise habit replaced the snacking habit. Now I
have to eat more than I really want in the summer to not get too
skinny. My blood pressure is way down and my resting heart rate is in
the 40's.

A word to the wise,
Jerry Booker

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A word to the 'not so wise'.

EXISTING

1. To live at a minimal level

LIVING

1. Full of life, interest, or vitality

Barnyard BOb - YMMV

Old July 12th 04, 01:24 PM
Barnyard BOb -

"Morgans" wrote:

Obesity, for most people, is a lifestyle issue.
*****************
hummm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

.. You certainly got that right.

.. It's called ......

.. SMOKING.

At age 44, I was still at my high school weight.
Then I quit smoking. - Twas 4 packs a day.

I gained 30 lbs in the first 30 days of cessation.

I've gained a mere_*half a pound*_a year since.
However, after 22 years of such....
feel free to add it all up.

Barnyard BOb --
Old July 12th 04, 10:59 PM
Matt Whiting

Barnyard BOb - wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote...

Probably, as you obviously aren't smart enough to say something that
insightful.

Ok. I invoke the Hitler clause.

Bye.
Rich S.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can't we all just get along? super smirk

Barnyard BOb - Zig Heil, Mein Fuhrer

I think you started it! :-)

Matt

Old July 12th 04, 11:59 PM
Ernest Christley

Matt Whiting wrote:
Rich S. wrote:

I scrounged through the recycle bin until I found last month's Reader's
Digest (July) and re-read the article on "Beating the Urge to Eat" by
Peter
Jaret. Several interesting items caught my attention.

1. A hormone called leptin signals the brain to supress appetite - "Hey,
Dude, quit eating. You're full!".

2. 85 to 90 percent of obese people DO NOT have a deficiency of leptin.
Their bodies have become resistant to its effects. This is much like
Type II
diabetes where the body has plenty of insulin but is insulin resistant.

3. An excess of triglycerides may contribute to leptin resistance.

4. An enzyme called SCD-1 - controlled by leptin - is used by the body to
create fat cells. Delete the gene that makes SCD-1 (in mice) and they can
pig out on Twinkies and beer without gaining weight.

5. Another culprit that may make you chubby is a virus, AD-36.

6. Base level activity can vary up to 500 calories/day. Notice how some
people constantly twitch? Low or high metabolism is hereditary, but
they're
working on metabolism boosting substances.

The article closes with, "Patients used to blame being overweight on
glands
and hormones, and we doctors would say, 'It's not hormones, it's
calories,'
" says Banks. "Now we know hormones *are* involved." . . ."People can
diet
and lose 10 or 15 pounds. But real obesity isn't a willpower problem,.
It's
a medical problem."

I still don't buy it. If it is a medical problem, why did it just occur
in the last 20-30 years and not 500 or 1000 years ago? I believe it is
our sedentary lifestyle combined with simply eating for recreation
rather than sustenance.

Matt

It's a medical problem that has always existed, but we have become much
more affluent in the past 20 or 30 years. We've gone from an average of
one car per family to three. We go to restaurants where we're served
huge, fatty portions, 'cause nobody would spend $50 for a plate of
boring vegetables and a slice of baloney (what you'd eat if you stayed
at home and fixed it yourself). Millenia of evolution taught us that we
better eat when food is available or you'll starve to death tomorrow.
You've gotta get fat in the summer to survive the winter. The instinct
is still there, but the winter isn't, and neither is the need to chase
the food down.

I've done better with my weight lately as I've started getting out of
the kitchen and into the garage, getting so caught up that I miss a meal
every now and again or just eat a bite so that I can get back to work.
I'll lose weight and have an airplane to boot. 8*)

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,