Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 7th 04, 03:41 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:51:08 GMT, Jerry Springer
wrote:

Stealth you are so right, I know from experience that what you say works. I lost
80 lbs over the last two years doing just what you say. Also Carbs need to be
watched as they turn to sugar. I am not talking about the extreme low carb diets
that Akins suggest, personally I think those are VERY dangerous diets to your
health.

I walked 1.5 miles every night and cut out saturated fats and sodas (I was
addicted to Pepsi) although I still drink diet sodas which could be another
topic in itself. If you cut out 500 calories a day you can lose 1 lb. a week,
it is really easy to do.

Jerry (My RV-6 performs much better now) Springer

diet sodas are an interesting unknown as well.
the long term effects of that sugar substitute are just not known.
it is assumed to be safe. ....but so was thalidomide and diethyl
sylbestrol.

I brew my own ginger beer.
Stealth Pilot
Old July 7th 04, 07:26 PM
Mike Patterson

wrote:

[...]

I know that one day a couple years ago I decided to go to diet soda,
and within 3 days I thought I was going into early Alzheimers. Would
put my keys on the table, turn around, and forget what I was doing and
where my keys went.

After a terrifying couple of days I figured it out and dropped off the
diet soda. A day later and I was back to my -usual- forgetful self.

Now I just don't drink sodas. Water, milk, OJ, and beer.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Old July 7th 04, 11:37 PM
Matt Whiting

Badwater Bill wrote:

Ahh, don't worry about it Matt. Come in the late autumn and they'll
download some fuel so you can fit your fat ass into it. My fat ass
test flew it for a long time and I weighed 230 when I did it.

In fact I talked with Jess last night and I think I'm going back on
the insurance. I'll take you for a ride when you come.

During flight-test, when I needed a data collector, I took Tom Jones.
Tom is a giant man in spirit but only weighs about 130 or so (that's
why the puke won so many motorcycle races in the olden days).

In fact Bill Harold and Tom are about the same size. Dr. Harold or
Tom easily fit into the thing with my gelatinous, bloated, fat ass in
the left seat. I'm sure that you'll fit fine.

I fit in the RV-6 demonstrator at Van's when I visited the factory
several years back. It isn't size that is the issue, it is weight. I'm
fairly muscular (paid my way through engineering school working as a
logger ... I'm not kidding!). I'm a fairly compact 225! :-)

Come on over here when the temps go back down and we'll get you up
even if I have to fly it.

Now, that's a concept. Here's the question:

Are YOU willing to fly with BWB as PIC? Do you have the guts? Do you
have the stamina? Hell, I might go berserk and take you to Miami on a
test flight....or maybe Costa Rica. Can you accept what might happen
to you? Are you The Man?

Are you willing to fly with a card carrying NRA life member with a CC
permit who may be armed at any given time? :-)

Only kidding. I think you are serious and you should examine this
firewall forward. I'll tell you one thing however, don't change any
of it. Build it just like Jess and Tom and Bill tell you to build it.
If you are a tinker-er and you want to screw with things, this is not
it. IF you build it as they tell you to build it, most likely it
will work fine. Don't modify anything. Go by the plans. They've
spent years perfecting all this stuff. Don't put your opinion into
the loop.

Likewise. I am serious, but as I mentioned earlier, I won't be starting
for a few more years. I built a fairly expensive house four years ago
right before my company tanked (I work for a telecomm company) and my
stock went from $120/share to $1.60, and I now have a large mortgage to
pay off and looming college bills.

Matt

Old July 8th 04, 12:48 AM
JSoar

Good topic. I have heard a rule of thumb for airplanes is that every
15 pounds is worth one horse power. So if you can knock 60 pounds off
your plane's gross take-off weight it would be like adding 4 hp, a
good percentage increase for an ultralight.

The safest and easiest gross take-off weight you could possibly get
rid of is the ugly fat around your gut.

I weighed 220 pounds many years ago and thought it was mostly muscle.
Now I weigh an average of 165 pounds, and that muscle turned out to be
useless fat. I ride a bike 3 or 4 times a week for at least an hour,
or walk about the same in the winter. I watch very carefully what I
eat. Just enough protein, like a little bit of fish, no red meat, and
a lot of vegetables, fruit, cereal grains. No junk foods, candy, ice
cream, soda, etc.

It was easy, the exercise habit replaced the snacking habit. Now I
have to eat more than I really want in the summer to not get too
skinny. My blood pressure is way down and my resting heart rate is in
the 40's.

A word to the wise,
Jerry Booker
Old July 8th 04, 01:52 AM
Matt Whiting

JSoar wrote:

Good topic. I have heard a rule of thumb for airplanes is that every
15 pounds is worth one horse power. So if you can knock 60 pounds off
your plane's gross take-off weight it would be like adding 4 hp, a
good percentage increase for an ultralight.

The safest and easiest gross take-off weight you could possibly get
rid of is the ugly fat around your gut.

I agree with safest, but I'm not sure about easiest! :-)

Matt

Old July 8th 04, 01:56 AM
Rich S.

"JSoar" wrote in message
om...
It was easy, the exercise habit replaced the snacking habit. Now I
have to eat more than I really want in the summer to not get too
skinny. My blood pressure is way down and my resting heart rate is in
the 40's.

Jerry.............

I hate you.

Rich "South Beach - down 14 to 233" S.

Old July 8th 04, 03:06 AM
UltraJohn

Sure it's called liposuction ;-)
John

Resting HR 38
Cholesterol 166
Normal blood pressure
49 years
run on average 75 miles a week
STILL HAD 98% BLOCKED CORINARY ARTERY!
One year anniversary tommorrow of having angioplasty and road back!
Hope to have medical back in another month!
John

Old July 8th 04, 03:07 AM
Jean-Paul Roy

Jerry.............

I hate you.

lolllllllllllllllllllll
"Rich S." wrote in message
om...

Old July 8th 04, 06:38 AM
bryan chaisone

Mike Patterson wrote in message . ..
I know that one day a couple years ago I decided to go to diet soda,
and within 3 days I thought I was going into early Alzheimers. Would
put my keys on the table, turn around, and forget what I was doing and
where my keys went.

After a terrifying couple of days I figured it out and dropped off the
diet soda. A day later and I was back to my -usual- forgetful self.

Now I just don't drink sodas. Water, milk, OJ, and beer.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Let me tell you all about Bob and Bill. Bob jogs past Bill's house
every morning and every now and then he would ask Bill to join him.
Bill would just sit on the front porch, lift his beer and toast Bob as
he jogs by. Then one day Bill asked Bob's wife why Bob hasn't been
jogging by. Bob's wife said, "He got run over by a bus while
jogging".

Have you heard of Siskel and Eibert? I thought the fat one would die
first, I would have bet my house on it. Well, the skinny one died
first, of heart attack, I believe.

Being healthy and in shape is good, but it is no guaranty that you'll
live longer.

I'm about forty five pounds over weight. I am starting to do
something about it, but only because I want a better quality of life,
not because I think I will live longer. I have been through enough
"close calls" that I am convinced that when it is time to go, it is
time to go, and that's that.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
Old July 8th 04, 08:22 AM
Stealth Pilot

On 7 Jul 2004 22:38:20 -0700, (bryan chaisone)
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote in message . ..
I know that one day a couple years ago I decided to go to diet soda,
and within 3 days I thought I was going into early Alzheimers. Would
put my keys on the table, turn around, and forget what I was doing and
where my keys went.

After a terrifying couple of days I figured it out and dropped off the
diet soda. A day later and I was back to my -usual- forgetful self.

Now I just don't drink sodas. Water, milk, OJ, and beer.

that is an interesting observation. must remember it.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

snip

Being healthy and in shape is good, but it is no guaranty that you'll
live longer.

I'm about forty five pounds over weight. I am starting to do
something about it, but only because I want a better quality of life,
not because I think I will live longer. I have been through enough
"close calls" that I am convinced that when it is time to go, it is
time to go, and that's that.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

there is an interesting research paper regarding diabetics. it points
out that losing weight and increasing in weight both statistically
shortened life in the sample, but wanting to lose weight without
losing weight is associated with increases in longevity.
had me intrigued for ages until the penny dropped. healthy living has
immediate benefits while weight changes take much longer.

jogging is not as good as walking as a form of exercise. one of our
local hospitals regularly fills a ward with joggers needing knee
replacements.

getting the weight off in the long term is important for pilots
though. adipose tissue is an endocrine gland. having massive over
secretion of the hormones from fatty tissue seems to be a precursor to
type two diabetes. the consequences of diabetes apart from pilot
medical problems are that you suffer impaired peripheral circulation.
you dont want to go down that path ever unless you have a fascination
for amputations.

longevity? I think I'll be happy to make my last flights at 103 and
then pack it in. :-)
Stealth Pilot