Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 10th 04, 07:02 AM
Morgans

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message
"Jerry Springer" wrote ...
Hi Rich,
Missed you at Arlington this year.

My truck's broke. The timing chain finally gave up at 300,000 miles.(

Ford
F150, 351M engine) I'm having so much fun.

Rich

Ahhhh, ever hear of preventative maintenance? Being a Ford, you are lucky
to have gotten that much out of it! g

Congratulations on getting one that far. I've got a Chevy van that has
219,000, and coming to Osh, a round trip of 2,000 miles, with a gut full of
my unit's luggage and camping gear onboard, and a pull behind grill. (knock
on wood)

To me, about 150,000 is the about the limit for oil pumps and timing chains,
cause if either of those two go south, the rest is not far behind.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 10th 04, 07:08 AM
Morgans

"Jerry Springer" wrote

Oh BS!!!!!!

Actually, there is a good deal of evidence to suggest that after a few more
degrees temp rise, the icecaps melting will change the turnover of ocean
water, disrupting ocean currents, then heading back towards an ice age.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 10th 04, 09:13 AM
Barnyard BOb -

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 23:27:15 -0400, "Jean-Paul Roy"
wrote:

And to think we were supposed to talk about ****in airplane

Here's some super straight scoop --

1. YOU do not have to read this topic.
2. Understand that YOU can only control YOU.
3. Walk some airplane talk or be just another ****in hypocrite.

P.S.
Cross posting sux.

-PLONK-

Barnyard BOb -
The more people I meet,
the more I love my dog
and George Carlin humor.

Old July 10th 04, 12:37 PM
Matt Whiting

Jean-Paul Roy wrote:

And to think we were supposed to talk about ****in airplane

Except that you were supposed to stay in your cave until your vocabulary
developed beyond words of only four letters in length.

Matt

Old July 10th 04, 12:54 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:27:15 -0400, Jean-Paul Roy wrote:

And to think we were supposed to talk about ****in airplane

While I haven't had the pleasure to do that, I guess you have and enjoy
that activity. They say too each their own.

In other matters, pilot weight is directly related to flying for numerous
reasons. For example diabetes is at higher risk, Heart Attacks and
Strokes are at higher risk. The type of plane you can fly is partly
determined by how much you weigh.

So, I believe this thread to be talking about planes because of the above
factors.

Old July 10th 04, 01:31 PM

"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:12:59 +0000, n4mwd.dont.spam.me wrote:

Low carb has kicked the traditional (low cal/low fat) folks in the
butt.

Actually it hasn't. I saw on TV where they did a small study and had one
group go on the low carb diet and another on low fat. The low carb group
initially lost weight faster, but then hit a point where they slowed down
so much so that the low fat group caught up with them.

Everybody is different. My personal experience has been this: I went
on a reduced carb diet a few years ago. Because it was reduced carb
and not low carb, it took me a year to lose 30 pounds. However, when
I got off the diet, it took two years to gain it back. Then someone
convinced me to try the Weight Watcher's Winning Points diet. Its a
low cal, low fat diet relatively high in carbs. I lost 20 pounds in
30 days. By the next 30 days, I had gained it all back.

Low carb is a lifestyle and not just a diet. Whatever diet you get
on, keeping the same weight means staying on the diet or a form of it
for the rest of your life. Knowing that, its best to pick a realistic
diet that you can be comfortable with and will be able to keep the
cheating to a minimum. There is no way I could do that with the point
diet.

Now I will excuse myself and go eat a great big dish of zero carb ice
cream - all legal on a low carb diet.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old July 10th 04, 04:46 PM
Rich S.

I scrounged through the recycle bin until I found last month's Reader's
Digest (July) and re-read the article on "Beating the Urge to Eat" by Peter
Jaret. Several interesting items caught my attention.

1. A hormone called leptin signals the brain to supress appetite - "Hey,
Dude, quit eating. You're full!".

2. 85 to 90 percent of obese people DO NOT have a deficiency of leptin.
Their bodies have become resistant to its effects. This is much like Type II
diabetes where the body has plenty of insulin but is insulin resistant.

3. An excess of triglycerides may contribute to leptin resistance.

4. An enzyme called SCD-1 - controlled by leptin - is used by the body to
create fat cells. Delete the gene that makes SCD-1 (in mice) and they can
pig out on Twinkies and beer without gaining weight.

5. Another culprit that may make you chubby is a virus, AD-36.

6. Base level activity can vary up to 500 calories/day. Notice how some
people constantly twitch? Low or high metabolism is hereditary, but they're
working on metabolism boosting substances.

The article closes with, "Patients used to blame being overweight on glands
and hormones, and we doctors would say, 'It's not hormones, it's calories,'
" says Banks. "Now we know hormones *are* involved." . . ."People can diet
and lose 10 or 15 pounds. But real obesity isn't a willpower problem,. It's
a medical problem."

Environment, heredity, hormones, cholesterols, viruses - all may play a
part. There is no simple answer to weight control. Sure, you can force a
human to starve to death, but that is not an answer. We need a way for
people to control weight that is workable. I'm currently fighting the fat
with the South Beach diet. It's probably no better or worse than Atkins,
Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. But any time you starting trying to control
what, and how much you eat, it's bound to make a difference. I'm down
fifteen pounds in a month. I might gain it back and then again I might lose
fifteen more. But *right now* I am fifteen pounds less. My feet thank me.

Rich S.

Old July 10th 04, 05:07 PM
bryan chaisone

Dude,

Some of the people in thse groups have been talking on the web here
for over ten years. I've been lurking here at least that long and
have recently started to join in. This is a community of people with
same interest. After awhile we start caring about each other and
started talking about other things. Our relationship started here, so
we are talking here, sometimes about things other than flying. We
have grown to know each other. Some have met and hung out in real
life. Some see each other once or twice a year at flying related
gatherings. Just relax and enjoy.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old July 10th 04, 05:11 PM
bryan chaisone

New Lingo for an Old Priest

There was an old priest who got sick of all the people in his parish
who kept confessing to adultery. One Sunday, in the pulpit, he said,
"If I hear one more person confess to adultery, I'll quit!"

Everyone liked him, so they came up with a code word. Someone who had
committed adultery would say instead that they had "fallen."

This seemed to satisfy the old priest and things went well until the
priest passed away at a ripe, old age.

A few days after the new priest arrived, he visited the mayor of the
town and seemed very concerned.

"Mayor, you have to do something about the sidewalks in town. When
people come into the confessional, they keep telling me they've
fallen."

The mayor started to laugh, realizing that no one had told the new
priest about the code word. But, before he could explain, the priest
shook an accusing finger at him and shouted, "I don't know what you're
laughing about, because your wife has already fallen three times this
week!"

"Jean-Paul Roy" wrote in message
And to think we were supposed to talk about ****in airplane

Its about having fun and getting to know one another. Relax and
enjoy.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone