Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 10th 04, 05:13 PM
bryan chaisone

I'd like to get a sample of that.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Stealth Pilot wrote in message
I brew my own ginger beer.
Stealth Pilot

Old July 10th 04, 06:49 PM
pacplyer

wrote snip

In the film "Supersize me", director Morgan Spurlock spends just one
month eating at McDonalds *ONLY*, to see what would happen. He got
this bright idea after listening to McDonalds tout their food as being
healthy.

Doctors he consulted thought that he could not damage himself in only
30 days, they were nearly mistaken. The stipulations were that he
would have to accept the suggestion to "supersize" the meal or portion
of the meal if suggested by the counter attendant, and try every
single item on the menu at some point.

Here's a blurb from a review: "Spurlock starts out the picture of
health, a strapping 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds. Three doctors and a
nutritionist, who reappear throughout, examine him and attest to his
well being. But within a few days he's vomiting out of the window of
his car. And it's downhill from there. Spurlock's body goes through a
general deterioration that surprises even his doctors in its rapidity.
(His girlfriend, a vegan chef, is beside herself.) Gaining weight is
just the outward sign: His liver becomes toxic, his cholesterol
skyrockets, his libido sags, he gets headaches and becomes depressed."

These are also all symptoms of being a flight instructor. (and you
thought he was barfing because of your bad flying!)

After 30 days, he had gained 25 lbs and was suffering from abnormal
liver functions. He had to detox on a strict Vegan diet to loose the
weight and regain normal liver functions. While he was eating at
McDonalds only, he was consuming 5,000 calories a day, or more. By
the end of the month, he'd consumed as many calories as most
nutritionists recommend people eat in 8 years.

McDonalds of course, was unhappy with the film.

Corky Scott

Yep, standard GA pilot diet. At least a flight instructor's sleep
cycles aren't screwed up on top of this. We should sue McDonalds the
same way Reynold's Tobacco was sued. Maybe they manipulate
cholesterol the same way Reynolds was manipulating nicotine! They
get you pumped up with those greasy fries, then when it's time to eat
again, your arteries cry out for their next fix just to keep the
plaque wall consistant.

*******s!

pac
Old July 11th 04, 01:21 AM
Matt Whiting

Rich S. wrote:

I scrounged through the recycle bin until I found last month's Reader's
Digest (July) and re-read the article on "Beating the Urge to Eat" by Peter
Jaret. Several interesting items caught my attention.

1. A hormone called leptin signals the brain to supress appetite - "Hey,
Dude, quit eating. You're full!".

2. 85 to 90 percent of obese people DO NOT have a deficiency of leptin.
Their bodies have become resistant to its effects. This is much like Type II
diabetes where the body has plenty of insulin but is insulin resistant.

3. An excess of triglycerides may contribute to leptin resistance.

4. An enzyme called SCD-1 - controlled by leptin - is used by the body to
create fat cells. Delete the gene that makes SCD-1 (in mice) and they can
pig out on Twinkies and beer without gaining weight.

5. Another culprit that may make you chubby is a virus, AD-36.

6. Base level activity can vary up to 500 calories/day. Notice how some
people constantly twitch? Low or high metabolism is hereditary, but they're
working on metabolism boosting substances.

The article closes with, "Patients used to blame being overweight on glands
and hormones, and we doctors would say, 'It's not hormones, it's calories,'
" says Banks. "Now we know hormones *are* involved." . . ."People can diet
and lose 10 or 15 pounds. But real obesity isn't a willpower problem,. It's
a medical problem."

I still don't buy it. If it is a medical problem, why did it just occur
in the last 20-30 years and not 500 or 1000 years ago? I believe it is
our sedentary lifestyle combined with simply eating for recreation
rather than sustenance.

Matt

Old July 11th 04, 04:06 AM
Fr. John Elledge

Hey, now! You've gone from preaching to meddling!

Your portly pastor,
Fr. John

"JSoar" wrote in message
om...
Good topic. I have heard a rule of thumb for airplanes is that every
15 pounds is worth one horse power. So if you can knock 60 pounds off
your plane's gross take-off weight it would be like adding 4 hp, a
good percentage increase for an ultralight.

The safest and easiest gross take-off weight you could possibly get
rid of is the ugly fat around your gut.

I weighed 220 pounds many years ago and thought it was mostly muscle.
Now I weigh an average of 165 pounds, and that muscle turned out to be
useless fat. I ride a bike 3 or 4 times a week for at least an hour,
or walk about the same in the winter. I watch very carefully what I
eat. Just enough protein, like a little bit of fish, no red meat, and
a lot of vegetables, fruit, cereal grains. No junk foods, candy, ice
cream, soda, etc.

It was easy, the exercise habit replaced the snacking habit. Now I
have to eat more than I really want in the summer to not get too
skinny. My blood pressure is way down and my resting heart rate is in
the 40's.

A word to the wise,
Jerry Booker

Old July 11th 04, 04:53 AM
Rich S.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

I still don't buy it. If it is a medical problem, why did it just occur
in the last 20-30 years and not 500 or 1000 years ago? I believe it is
our sedentary lifestyle combined with simply eating for recreation
rather than sustenance.

Well Matt, you must have some definitive evidence for your firmly held
belief. I would be glad to read about it. Perhaps you could give us some
reference, assuming it is not a divine revelation. :-)

Rich "Willing to listen" S.

Old July 11th 04, 01:09 PM
Matt Whiting

Rich S. wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

I still don't buy it. If it is a medical problem, why did it just occur
in the last 20-30 years and not 500 or 1000 years ago? I believe it is
our sedentary lifestyle combined with simply eating for recreation
rather than sustenance.

Well Matt, you must have some definitive evidence for your firmly held
belief. I would be glad to read about it. Perhaps you could give us some
reference, assuming it is not a divine revelation. :-)

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc. Also, I've yet to see any evidence that humans have evolved
genetically in a dramatic way in such a short period of time.

Also, our society in general seems to be much less inclined to take
personal responsibility for anything and wants to blame someone else for
all of their ills. Look at the proliferation of law suits regarding
insane things like spilling coffee in your lap, getting fat on Oreos,
smoking cigarettes, etc. I think obesity is the same way. People
simply are eating too much (myself included) and exercising too little
(again, myself included) and that is why we are fat. However, few want
to admit that and take the action required to address it. It is much
easier to blame something or someone else.

I'm trying to address it and having some success. I joined a health
club 6 months ago and began a weight and cardio routine. I have been
slacking a little now that it is summer, however, I've been adding
bicycling. I rode 25 miles yesterday over hilly PA roads (took nearly
two hours). I've lost about 14 lbs. in 6 months, which is painfully
slow to me, but my doctor suggested that 2 lbs. a month is about right
and lets your body slowly adapt to the new weight. Like he said, "You
didn't gain the weight in 6 months so you shouldn't expect to lose it in
6 months."

Matt

Old July 11th 04, 02:31 PM
Barnyard BOb -

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc. Also, I've yet to see any evidence that humans have evolved
genetically in a dramatic way in such a short period of time.

Matt

My observations over time...

1. IF YOU EAT MORE THAN YOU BURN....

YOU WEAR IT.

2. Exercise is great for cardiovascular improvement,
but one can easily eat more than can be exercised away.

3. My doctor sez....

Put whatever you desire on your plate,
then slide half of it off and you will lose weight.

Barnyard BOb -

Old July 11th 04, 02:33 PM

Matt Whiting wrote:

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc.

All true, but how do you explain skinny people that are sedentary and
don't diet? Although rare by comparison, they do exist in measurable
numbers.

I know a woman who is about 40 years old who, to this day, constantly
has to show ID to buy any kind of alcoholic beverage. She looks like
a 16 year old girl. She diets, but it is a special diet to try to
GAIN weight. She has as much trouble gaining as most everybody else
has losing. She doesn't have anorexia or the like, she's just plain
skinny.

There is no question that a sedentary lifestyle is a factor, but its
not the only factor. The odds are, most of the people reading this
know of a person similar to the woman described above.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old July 11th 04, 02:37 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:46:21 -0700, Rich S. wrote:

and lose 10 or 15 pounds. But real obesity isn't a willpower problem,. It's
a medical problem."

You'll notice the above statement, that's the key to understanding to
entire article. I'm not saying there aren't people who have a real
medical problem, but I am saying that 2/3's of our population do not
have a real medical problem.

As has been pointed out, keeping the weight off is a lifestyle change not
a diet. I know that and even though my official diet is ended I still
maintain my standards for eating and right now I'm trying to figure out
how many calories to add so that I maintain my weight and not gain it
back. I can live with my diet because it's healthy and merely requires me
to reduce my sweet tooth during the day. No extra work is needed beyond
eating the suggested portion sizes.

The one thing my Doctor told me that makes sense, those that lose the
weight slowly over time do better in maintaining it vs those who lose it
quickly by some fad diet. The why is simple, one is a lifestyle change,
the other is a quick fix that as soon as you remove the fix the weight
comes back.

Old July 11th 04, 02:44 PM
BllFs6

4. An enzyme called SCD-1 - controlled by leptin - is used by the body to
create fat cells. Delete the gene that makes SCD-1 (in mice) and they can
pig out on Twinkies and beer without gaining weight.

Haaaaa!

Thats me to a "T"

Eat, drink ANYTHING I want and never gain a pound!

Eat (your low carb) hearts out guys

Of course looking like a mouse doesnt help the dating scene though

take care

Blll