BWB remembered

Old July 17th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve R.[_2_]

Default BWB remembered

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message

Old July 17th 09, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear about his passing. Sounds like he was a
perfect fit for Usenet.

Yep, he was.

Nearly a decade ago, in the pre-troll days when rec.aviation.piloting was
still vibrant, I hosted a photo page for each rec.aviation poster to use.
Participants could send me pix of their aircraft, along with a short
biography, and I would post it on my website. In this way, we could all see
what each other was flying.

Hundreds of participants sent in pix of their plane, or maybe of themselves
with their first plane and their current plane, along with a paragraph or
two of background.

Badwater Bill sent me something like THIRTY photos, pictures of all the
planes he had ever owned or flown, and a mini-novel biography. His listing
was easily ten times the size of everyone else's -- but it was fascinating
stuff.

To say he was a character is an understatement. But what a character!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 17th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer[_3_]

Yep, he was.

Nearly a decade ago, in the pre-troll days when rec.aviation.piloting was
still vibrant, I hosted a photo page for each rec.aviation poster to use.
Participants could send me pix of their aircraft, along with a short
biography, and I would post it on my website. In this way, we could all
see what each other was flying.

Oh my god !!

Was it really that long ago ??

Is the site still active?

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

Old July 25th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Was it really that long ago ??

Is the site still active?

Hi Paul,

Nah, I took the site down last year, after many months of inactivity.
There was simply no longer any point to it, since most of the people
pictured there had long since left rec.aviation for the greener pastures of
moderated chat rooms, where cretins like the trolls that have decimated
these groups are quickly and efficiently eliminated.

T-minus 36 hours for OSH departure. Hope to see some of you there!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 25th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
BobR

On Jul 24, 8:05*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Was it really that long ago ??

Is the site still active?

Hi Paul,

Nah, I took the site down last year, after many months of inactivity.
There was simply no longer any point to it, since most of the people
pictured there had long since left rec.aviation for the greener pastures of
moderated chat rooms, where cretins like the trolls that have decimated
these groups are quickly and efficiently eliminated.

T-minus 36 hours for OSH departure. *Hope to see some of you there!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
Ercoupe N94856www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Well, I won't be there again this year but I will be taking off
several days to work on my plane so I will be thinking about it quite
a lot. I hope the time will be better spent working on my project
than looking at everyone else's.

Have a cold beer and enjoy.

Bob
Old July 25th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Was it really that long ago ??

Is the site still active?

Hi Paul,

Nah, I took the site down last year, after many months of inactivity.
There was simply no longer any point to it, since most of the people
pictured there had long since left rec.aviation for the greener pastures
of moderated chat rooms, where cretins like the trolls that have decimated
these groups are quickly and efficiently eliminated.

That's really a sad commentary, because it really shows that people who
should know better are much to easily trolled.

I really wish that problem was confined to usenet, in which case it would
only be either interesting or annoying--depending upon one's viewpoint on a
given subject at any given time. Unfortunately, it appears to be a small
part of a much larger problem. ):-(

T-minus 36 hours for OSH departure. Hope to see some of you there!

I'll have to miss it, yet again, this year; so have a great time, look at a
few extra airplanes and talk to a few extra people!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter

Old July 26th 09, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
snip
That's really a sad commentary, because it really shows that people who
should know better are much to easily trolled.

I really wish that problem was confined to usenet, in which case it would
only be either interesting or annoying--depending upon one's viewpoint on
a given subject at any given time. Unfortunately, it appears to be a
small part of a much larger problem. ):-(

snip

ISTM we are experiencing a decline in respect for others that is
accompanying the 'dumbing down' and 'meaning' of society, which when
combined with intolerance and ignorance is making us all poorer in life and
spirit.

Happy landings,

Old July 26th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

"Private" wrote
ISTM we are experiencing a decline in respect for others that is
accompanying the 'dumbing down' and 'meaning' of society, which when
combined with intolerance and ignorance is making us all poorer in
life and spirit.

You are certainly correct about that.

Bob Moore
Old July 26th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
jerry wass

Robert Moore wrote:
"Private" wrote
ISTM we are experiencing a decline in respect for others that is
accompanying the 'dumbing down' and 'meaning' of society, which when
combined with intolerance and ignorance is making us all poorer in
life and spirit.

You are certainly correct about that.

Bob Moore

I like that too, I just wish you (or me) could think of a single word to
replace "meaning" without the 2nd connotation of
"understanding/definition of".
Old August 11th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message
. ..
Robert Moore wrote:
"Private" wrote
ISTM we are experiencing a decline in respect for others that is
accompanying the 'dumbing down' and 'meaning' of society, which when
combined with intolerance and ignorance is making us all poorer in
life and spirit.

You are certainly correct about that.

Bob Moore

I like that too, I just wish you (or me) could think of a single word to
replace "meaning" without the 2nd connotation of "understanding/definition
of".

I also would like a better or at least less ambiguous word, and am open to
suggestions. I was (as I am confident you understood) wishing to use the
adjective usage to communicate-

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mean
4 : lacking dignity or honor : base
5 a : penurious, stingy b : characterized by petty selfishness or malice c :
causing trouble or bother : vexatious
synonyms mean, ignoble, abject, sordid mean being below the normal standards
of human decency and dignity. mean suggests having such repellent
characteristics as small-mindedness, ill temper, or cupidity mean and petty
satire. ignoble suggests a loss or lack of some essential high quality of
mind or spirit an ignoble scramble after material possessions. abject may
imply degradation, debasement, or servility abject poverty. sordid is
stronger than all of these in stressing physical or spiritual degradation
and abjectness a sordid story of murder and revenge.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mean#Adjective_2
mean (comparative meaner, superlative meanest)

Positive
mean
Comparative
meaner
Superlative
meanest

1.. Causing or intending to cause intentional harm; bearing ill will
towards another; cruel; malicious.
Watch out for her, she's mean. I said good morning to her, and she
punched me in the nose.
2.. Miserly; stingy.
He's so mean. I've never seen him spend so much as five pounds on
presents for his children.
3.. Selfish; acting without consideration of others; unkind.
It was mean to steal the girl's piggy bank, but he just had to get
uptown and he had no cash of his own.
4.. Low in quality; inferior.

[edit] Synonyms
a.. (causing or intending to cause intentional harm): cruel, malicious,
nasty, spiteful
b.. (miserly; stingy): See also Wikisaurus:stingy
c.. (acting without consideration of others): selfish, unkind
d.. (inferior): cheap, grotty (slang), inferior, low-quality, naff (UK
slang), rough and ready, shoddy, tacky (informal)

[edit] Derived terms
a.. meanie
b.. meanness
c.. meany

BWB remembered Monk Piloting 20 August 11th 09 09:41 AM
BWB remembered Monk Home Built 21 August 11th 09 09:41 AM
P-51 - An American Ambassador Remembered Private Piloting 7 December 11th 05 06:31 PM
AP: walton Remembered for Passion for Flying Peter R. Piloting 1 June 29th 05 03:25 PM
FS: 2002 "Ghosts: A Time Remembered" (Aviation) Calendar J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 June 14th 04 06:22 AM