CAVU and I'm Grounded!

Old March 9th 04, 08:11 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:
The
centers have to get them before they wise up because they'll never get
them after.

That's interesting. Why are the centers so unpopular with controllers?

You never see outside. You work with 400 people, of which you know 25.
I know everybody and have vacationed and hunted/fished/flew with most.
As a matter of fact I'm buying a half a cow from one next month.
Usually your airspace is hundreds of miles away from where you are right
now, I know my airspace intimitely. Everyday my day is different,
usually the center does the same thing at the same time every day. Each
person has to make his own determination on what constitutes quality of
life. In three hours we are leaving for Boise because my kids hockey
team won the state tournamnet and thus the team qualified for the
regional tournament. I set up this time off two weeks ago. Try that at
Atlanta. I can take just about any day off and make that decision on
the same day I don't want to work. We bid for prime time annual at this
time each year. We only do that because we have to, we can always get
any time off that we want. For example we have decided to go to OSH
this summer so I signed up for two weeks off around that time frame, but
I'm going to need more than two weeks. I'll take care of it in July.
The money can be a lot better in a facility that is short staffed
because you are forced to work a lot of overtime. I have zero desire to
work more than 40 hours and on the odd occasions I do get OT I usually
take it as credit hours earned and not the money. The top controller
made $196,000 last year. I don't know for sure but I'll bet that he
worked six day weeks for most weeks of the year and could never take a
day off. Not in a million years is that worth only $200K to me. That
way I can use the day off when I want. Every summer like clockwork the
forests start on fire out west. Almost every summer the Forest Service
calls in the FAA to setup temporary towers at some uncontrolled airports
or possibly just a field where the helicopters operate from. So I pull
the 5th wheel over there, set up the satellite dish and work 16 hour
days. That's about the only time I do take the money. Don't get me
wrong, some people love the center, god love 'em. Somebodies got to do
that job. It just won't be me.

Old March 9th 04, 11:06 PM
Jay Honeck

For example we have decided to go to OSH
this summer so I signed up for two weeks off around that time frame

Well, shoot, Newps, if you're coming this way you'd better plan on swinging
JUST a smidge south of course and stopping by for our 2nd Annual Oshkosh
Pool Party! It'll be on Sunday, July 25th, and, yes, there will be free
beer served at poolside...

I'm hoping to line up the Swedish Bikini Team to serve drinks, but Mary
doesn't think that's a good idea...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 10th 04, 02:45 AM
BTIZ

rules are not made to be easily understood.. that's how the lawyers get to
quibble over it and make money..

BT

"Saryon" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:22:27 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

"Saryon" wrote in message

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:36:59 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
Hmm.. Well, it would appear that my book is wrong. Although that
wouldn't be the first time. It says "There are no communication or
equipment requirements for aircraft flying VFR in Class E airspace."

There is no requirement to HAVE a transponder in class E (as long as
you're outside the places that specifically require it like the Class B

veils).

However, the rule says if you've got an operable transponder, you must

turn it on in controlled
(class E or better) airspace.

The wiggle room is that if it's out of inspection, you can argue that

it's
not "operable" and just leave it off if you are outside airspace that

specifically
requires it

OK, but in this case the package is designed around a Cessna 172 which
comes with one standard. Why don't they just say "on at all times
outside of class G" instead of teaching what they seem to see as the
rule? To me they're saying "I can leave it in the OFF position if I'm
not in A, am outside of B, veil, or C airspace, and under 10,000
feet".

Old March 10th 04, 02:47 AM
BTIZ

AOPA is correct... primarily when approaching ClassB. Land short, call the
local appch control on the phone and make the request. They'll be prepared..
may have given you preferred routing over the phone.. and everyone is happy.

Good for that flight only.

BT

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
om...
We almost had this scenario when we bought our Cherokee 180 a few months
back. Transponder was out of 24 month inspection. We would need to get it
into our class C airspace.
I called AOPA's legal & they told me, to get the thing to the site for

the
inspection, simply turn it off. If that site was within a class C or mode

veil, then a phone call arrangement could elimate the need for the xponder
for that flight.
Not sure if he was right or not. We had the seller get it done before we
ever took possesion, so I didn't have to worry about it after all.

"BTIZ" wrote in message
nope... if you have one it must be on...

BT

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
But then, around here I would just turn the damned thing off.

He
apparently doesn't have that option.

That would make it two FARs you're violating instead of just one.

I can't turn my transponder off and go fly VFR?

Boy, I apparently know an awful lot of people that need to be

arrested.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 04, 04:29 AM
BTIZ

That's happened to me around Chicago many times -- and they aren't

trainees
at Chicago Center.

I'll bet there are trainees there...

BT