Engine prices?

Old July 7th 04, 06:07 PM
Richard Lamb

Default Engine prices?

Well, boys and girls, I may just beat the medical issue after all.

If (when?) that happens, I'll immediately start on a new Tailwind
(I sold my project a while back because it didn't look like this
was ever going to happen). So I'm jumping the gun a little bit, but
it's important to have a goal in mind when the fat lady sings!

Starting from scratch allows one to custom tailor the cockpit to
match the old bod. I'm fairly tall (6'2+some) and long legged.

The seating worked out well enough for a couple of hours at a
time, and Jim Clement's mods can increase the leg room by 2 inches,
and move the seat backs back about two inches. I think that would
make a much more comfortable cockpit for too tall Texans.

But I've also started considering a replica O-O Special like Rick
Crosslin is just about to finish up. The O-O is a bit bigger plane
to start with, and might be a better match to my desired mission.

Mr Wittman designed it to fly from Oshkosh to Ocalla(?), Fla nonstop.

At 50% power it was reported to turn in 215 mph and made that trip
with reserves to spare.

What I'd like to ask is how the price of an O-470 Conintental would
compare to an O-320 Lycoming. I suspect the RV demand for the O-320
has kept the price up. But there aren't that many planes that use an
O-470. I thought it might even be less expensive as a result of lower
demand?

Anyone have a feel for that comparison?
Or even a good engine they not longer need?

Thanks all,

Richard Lamb
Old July 7th 04, 07:17 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Richard Lamb wrote:

Well, boys and girls, I may just beat the medical issue after all.

Congrats...

But I've also started considering a replica O-O Special like Rick
Crosslin is just about to finish up. The O-O is a bit bigger plane
to start with, and might be a better match to my desired mission.

Mr Wittman designed it to fly from Oshkosh to Ocalla(?), Fla nonstop.

At 50% power it was reported to turn in 215 mph and made that trip
with reserves to spare.

Hi Richard, is there somewhere on the web to get the specs on it?

I found this, but it appears to be his previous Tailwind project:
http://www.j-winddesigns.com/Pages/C...hotoGuide.html
and the info on the same in the Yahoo TailwindForum group...

Rick looks to be the size pilot I'm familiar with... g
Old July 7th 04, 07:46 PM
Richard Lamb

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:

Well, boys and girls, I may just beat the medical issue after all.

Congrats...

But I've also started considering a replica O-O Special like Rick
Crosslin is just about to finish up. The O-O is a bit bigger plane
to start with, and might be a better match to my desired mission.

Mr Wittman designed it to fly from Oshkosh to Ocalla(?), Fla nonstop.

At 50% power it was reported to turn in 215 mph and made that trip
with reserves to spare.

Hi Richard, is there somewhere on the web to get the specs on it?

Not really. Rick is building from Tailwind plans and Steve's raw notes.
I've offered to draw up the plans package when he's done.
Thought that would give me a chance to build a 'proof of plans' plane.
(BG!)

I found this, but it appears to be his previous Tailwind project:
http://www.j-winddesigns.com/Pages/C...hotoGuide.html
and the info on the same in the Yahoo TailwindForum group...

Rick looks to be the size pilot I'm familiar with... g

Short people! Huh!
Old July 7th 04, 08:54 PM
jls

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:

[...]

There was an article with pictures of Crosslin's O-O Special at the Sport
Aviation Association website some time back. http://www.sportaviation.org/
Apparently the article is no longer on the site. I remember reading it and
looking at the pictures. Crosslin was using a six-cylinder IO-360 rather
than an O-470, however.

If you e-mail Paul Poberezny he would probably send you a copy of the
article on Crosslin's O-O. Crosslin hangs out in the Yahoogroups Tailwind
forum.

Old July 7th 04, 09:30 PM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:07:56 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

At 50% power it was reported to turn in 215 mph and made that trip
with reserves to spare.

Man, I'd sure like to confirm THAT.

Corky Scott

Old July 7th 04, 09:30 PM
Darrel Toepfer

jls wrote:

There was an article with pictures of Crosslin's O-O Special at the Sport
Aviation Association website some time back. http://www.sportaviation.org/
Apparently the article is no longer on the site. I remember reading it and
looking at the pictures. Crosslin was using a six-cylinder IO-360 rather
than an O-470, however.

If you e-mail Paul Poberezny he would probably send you a copy of the
article on Crosslin's O-O. Crosslin hangs out in the Yahoogroups Tailwind
forum.

Thanks, will have to look for it:
Volume 7 Number 3 Fall 2003 Page 14
Has a red Waco on the cover...

I love the speed and efficiency of the Tailwind, but its cockpit size
and the weight it can carry are a real setback...
Old July 8th 04, 03:50 AM
Richard Lamb

wrote:

:
:But I've also started considering a replica O-O Special like Rick
:Crosslin is just about to finish up. The O-O is a bit bigger plane
:to start with, and might be a better match to my desired mission.

Glad to hear the design is being kept alive.

:
:Mr Wittman designed it to fly from Oshkosh to Ocalla(?), Fla nonstop.
:
:At 50% power it was reported to turn in 215 mph and made that trip
:with reserves to spare.
:
:What I'd like to ask is how the price of an O-470 Conintental would
:compare to an O-320 Lycoming. I suspect the RV demand for the O-320
:has kept the price up. But there aren't that many planes that use an
:O-470. I thought it might even be less expensive as a result of lower
:demand?

You might be able to get one of these cheap

http://web.govliquidation.com/auctio...use=CA22V,CA22

And this is a good reference

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182885-1.html

It will absolutely be cheaper than a 320 or 360. Barnstormers has
cores at $3000-4000, and rebuilts at about $8-9000. Figure 60% of the
Lyc price.

Could the O&O take the weight? They aren't light.

Don't really know yet.

I'm waiting for Rick to decide if he'll share some dimensions for
a close look at the weight and balance.

But man, what a ride that would be!
Old July 8th 04, 06:32 AM
Richard Lamb

Richard Riley wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:50:44 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

: Could the O&O take the weight? They aren't light.
:
on't really know yet.
:
:I'm waiting for Rick to decide if he'll share some dimensions for
:a close look at the weight and balance.

You can always move weight to the tail. But watch the empty weight,
and how much useful load you're ending up with.
:
:But man, what a ride that would be!

Yeah. Kind of like stuffing an IO-540 in a Long EZ.

Naw, WAY better than that. It is a Tailwind, afterall!

(couldn't resist that one, Richard!)

Richard
Old July 8th 04, 07:21 AM
Morgans

wrote:

: Could the O&O take the weight? They aren't light.
:
on't really know yet.
:
:I'm waiting for Rick to decide if he'll share some dimensions for
:a close look at the weight and balance.

You can always move weight to the tail. But watch the empty weight,
and how much useful load you're ending up with.
:
:But man, what a ride that would be!

Yeah. Kind of like stuffing an IO-540 in a Long EZ.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't some people put a Buick V- 8 in
Tailwinds? That would weigh more than a 470, wouldn't it?

Others have gone the Tim Allen view of more power, in airplanes.

The 470 in a Tailwind would go kinda like a souped up Chevy 350, in a BD-4?
I know that has been done. :-)
--
Jim in NC

---