WWII Aircraft still useful

Old January 10th 04, 02:38 AM
David Bromage

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
Many of the twin-engine cargo planes could play a role in theater
airlift if nothing more modern were available, and could drop
paratroopers.

There are several hundred An-2s in military service around the world,
and being a 1947 design could be considered to be almost WW2 vintage.

Cheers
David

Old January 10th 04, 08:03 AM
John Keeney

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
Suppose someone was willing to give a modern air force a bunch of
planes from WWII. The Luftwaffe can have several hundred
Fw-190s. The US can have a pile of Catalina's (or DC-3s). The British

can
have as many Mosquitoes as they want.

Are there any WWII aircraft that could still be useful in a modern
war? Can a Fw-190 compete with an A-10/AH-64 if we're giving
away Fw-190s? Can a B-29 do the same mission as an MC-130,
if we're giving away B-29s but you still have to maintain them?

Is there any WWII aircraft that would still be useful today?

As fielded in WWII, probably some of the transport such as the C-47.

Upgraded with modern avionics?
Well, perhaps the versions of the B-25 with a 75mm canon
could play a CAS role but they would more vulnerable than
current A-10s and survivable techniques would take some
working up.

Old January 10th 04, 03:07 PM
robert arndt

Again, more words of ignorance spoken like the non-authority Keith is.
Hey Keith, it has already been done. On May 28, 1987 Matthias Rust, a
West German amatuer pilot, took his unarmed Cessna and flew 400 miles
through the USSR's air defenses (the world's greatest)to land on Red
Square.
We all know that if he had carried a nuke Moscow would have been
history.
No US military pilot had ever or will ever accomplish a similar feat.

Rob

God, I love proving Keith wrong. By all means Keith, keep saying
"No/Nope"

If you checked the radii of the Soviet air defense radar at different altitudes
you would see it was only at low altitude like Rust used. Now then, the
question was WW2 aircraft. Rust used a post war airplane with limited payload.
Let's assume he flew a nuke in and blew Red Square apart. Gee, what an
accomplishment to start WW3. It was an entirely impractical act. If you are
going to give an example make it valid.

BTW, I believe Rust went nuts and stabbed someone about 10 years ago.

No US military pilot had ever or will ever accomplish a similar feat.

U.S. Military pilots have been doing similar things during time of war for
decades. Prove me wrong.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

What US military pilot flew through 400 miles of the USSR's air
defense network and landed in Red Square? Even the SR-71 was reduced
to spying with side-looking cameras outside Soviet airspace.
Done.

Rob
Old January 10th 04, 04:39 PM
B2431

From: (robert arndt)
Date: 1/10/2004 9:07 AM Central Standard Time
[...]

I said similar, not same.

I suggest you look at Bird Dog missions during Viet Nam and similar in WW2 and
Korea.

The Soviets DID track him but he was not worth shooting down.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 12th 04, 01:40 AM
Alan Minyard

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:49:16 -0000, "Keith Willshaw" wrote:

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
Suppose someone was willing to give a modern air force a bunch of
planes from WWII. The Luftwaffe can have several hundred
Fw-190s. The US can have a pile of Catalina's (or DC-3s). The British

can
have as many Mosquitoes as they want.

Are there any WWII aircraft that could still be useful in a modern
war?

Against a modern air defence system ?

Nope

Can a Fw-190 compete with an A-10/AH-64 if we're giving
away Fw-190s?

Unguided rockets and bombs that require you overfly
the target versus FLIR packages and guided weapons.
What do you think ?

Can a B-29 do the same mission as an MC-130,
if we're giving away B-29s but you still have to maintain them?

Nope

Is there any WWII aircraft that would still be useful today?

DC-3 for transport usage

Keith

Piper Cub. I don't know what you could use it for, but it
sure is fun :-)

Al Minyard