Do you ever use standby on your transponder?

Old September 15th 05, 11:02 PM
George Patterson

Maule Driver wrote:
I don't.

I used to after first startup, but it's an unpleasant feeling to be flying
around near New York and realize that the xpndr has been on standby for the last
half hour.

George Patterson
Old September 15th 05, 11:25 PM
Hilton

Larry,

I was taught the "Lights, Camera, Action" reminder phrase where
'camera' signifies transponder on. This mantra is to be uttered in
the beginning of the takeoff roll.

Lights: strobe, landing lights, etc.
Camera: transponder
Action: mixture, props, throttle, airspeed alive, ...

My suggestion would be strobes, landing light, transponder before taxiing
onto the runway - you do want to be very visible on the runway too. Also
get the mixture and props. The only items when are the runway are throttle
and airspeed alive - also look for other aircraft etc, think about abort
procedures, how your take off roll is progressing (I have a good story on
this one) etc... I don't like to be fiddling with stuff during the takeoff
roll because there is so much other important stuff to do and to think
about, also, when you fly complex aircraft... Well there's this pesky
little lever that also finds its way into the FAA accident reports.

The same goes for landing but in reverse; i.e. don't touch anything until
stopped on a taxiway (or something similar) - basically not on the runway.

Just my opinion.

Hilton

Old September 16th 05, 12:00 AM
Jay Masino

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
Most TXP antennae are belly-mounted. They send out a rather strong EM
signal that can reflect off the pavement and overwhelm the receiver
portion of the TXP, possibly damaging it.

I would be surprised if most modern transponders don't protect against
this themselves by blanking the receiver during the transmit.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old September 16th 05, 12:31 AM
Longworth

Just last week, we forgot to put the transponder on standby after
landing and were asked by the ATC to do so.

Hai Longworth

Old September 16th 05, 12:52 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I agree with Hilton. Checking the transponder is an unnecessary distraction
during a takeoff. You should be watching for other traffic and your engine
gauges. If the transponder is off, you will find out sooner or later. Same
with lights or strobes. But if you miss a low oil pressure reading, or a
conflicting traffic, the outcome may not be so good.

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:04:21 GMT, "Hilton"
wrote in .net::

Larry Dighera wrote:
I was taught to switch from standby upon starting to roll down the
runway for departure.

You were taught to mess with non-essential stuff on the runway?

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "non-essential."

Lots more he http://tinyurl.com/8meqw

Old September 16th 05, 01:00 AM
TripFarmer

My friend did the other day when we flew down to Gulfport to
deliver medical supplies. We went as a flight of two so they
had my friend squawk "Standby" as I was the lead plane.

Trip

In article , says...

I don't. It stays on 24/7 (you know what I mean). 1200 unless given a
code. It effectively prevents "Maule, check your transponder" unless
using the wrong code.

I make no attempt to turn it off or go to standby while taxiing or
anything else. I've never been asked to go to standby or otherwise
questioned.

This has been discussed before but I'd suggest the everyone can do this
without causing a problem for anyone.

Old September 16th 05, 01:14 AM
Brien K. Meehan

I set mine to TEST during my pre-flight checklist, then right back to
ALT.

The only time it's ever been on STBY is when an instructor insisted
that it's really important to do so, and set it himself. That was a
red flag. He didn't work for me much longer.

Old September 16th 05, 01:19 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:52:49 -0500, Andrew Sarangan
wrote in
::

Checking the transponder is an unnecessary distraction during a takeoff.

The controller says, "Cherokee 12X cleared for takeoff."

And you reach over and twist the transponder knob, apply takeoff
power, and the "distraction" is gone. It's not a very big deal.

You should be watching for other traffic and your engine gauges.

Right. Those are some of the things that should happen, and there's
nothing to prevent them.

If the transponder is off, you will find out sooner or later.

Absolutely.

Same with lights or strobes.

Umm, not necessarily. If it's day VFR/VMC, and you want to burn a
landing/taxi light to enhance conspicuity and discourage bird strikes,
you may not become aware of the fact that the light is off.

But if you miss a low oil pressure reading, or a conflicting traffic,
the outcome may not be so good.

True. But I don't see how twisting the transponder knob before adding
power interferes with those things.
Old September 16th 05, 01:33 AM
Jay Honeck

I make no attempt to turn it off or go to standby while taxiing or
anything else. I've never been asked to go to standby or otherwise
questioned.

Standby gets used only:

a) At OSH, per the NOTAM.

and

b) When flying as a flight of two.

Otherwise, it may as well be soldered "on"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 16th 05, 02:40 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

True. But I don't see how twisting the transponder knob before adding
power interferes with those things.

In fact I would recommend to turn the transponder on before even getting on
the runway. However, in an earlier post I thought you were recommending to
turn the transponder at the beginning of the takeoff roll, which implied
turning the knob while accelerating down the runway. That is what I was
disagreeing with. I now see what you were getting at.

Operation without a transponder flyer Piloting 11 September 14th 04 08:48 AM
Transponder test after static system opened? Jack I Owning 6 March 14th 04 03:09 PM
Transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 11 February 28th 04 06:38 AM
More on transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 1 February 27th 04 06:37 PM