Surecheck Avionics Trafficscope VRX

Old May 11th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Surecheck Avionics Trafficscope VRX

Has anyone used any of the passive traffic alert systems that are out on
the market today? I saw this one on AircraftSpruce sight .4 AMU's
instead of the usual .8 AMU's. I did some searching and found out that
this particular model is discontinued hense the half-price sticker.

Has any of you flown with this kind of device and how do you think it
does for spotting traffic I flew with a guy last year that had this
exact model in his 182 and it seemed to work well.

Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.surecheck.net/library/ts_datasheet.pdf

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ
Old May 11th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Hi!

I've got it in my plane, and it works as advertised.

However, you have to spend some time with it to learn how to interprate it's
readings.

There is no azimuth, so you only know relative distance, not bearing to the
threat, and even this can vary a bit.

Also, transponder only outputs when interrogated by ATC radar or TCAS
aircraft in the area, so if only one radar and no other aircraft, I guess it
can take up to 10-12 secs to see a change in range.

Anyway, as soon as you find a good place for the antenna, the unit works as
it should.

I am generally happy with mine, however mounting the antenna is not as easy
as they claim. It seams sensitive to where it is mounted.

I bought it at full price a year ago, so if you can get it for half, go for
it!

Frode

"Jon Kraus" skrev i melding

Old May 11th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The guy I rode with had it stuck on the dash of his 182... I didn't see
if he had the antenna anywhere but sticking up in the back of the unit
just like in the picture. Are you saying that the antenna that comes
with it might not work that great or that you need to remotely position
the antenna? Anyway thanks for the reply...

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old May 12th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Hi!

In my Arrow, the front window angles more than in a Cessna I believe, so the
antenna would barely fit.

I wanted to position the unit a bit farther back on the glareshield, then
the antenna would not fit at all, so I bought an extension with a suction
mount.

Works fine with that, though they recommend not using it if you can fit it
with the antenna on the back on the glareshield.

I've had a couple of weird readings lately, so I'll try to make it fit oon
the back again.

Frode

"Jon Kraus" skrev i melding
.. .

Old May 13th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 05/13/06 06:52, Leo wrote:
Jon: What is an "AMU"? Thanks for the edification. Leo

Google gave me this: http://www.mooneyevents.com/acronyms.html

The site is specific to Mooneys, but the term applies to all aircraft ;-)

Jon Kraus wrote:
Has anyone used any of the passive traffic alert systems that are out on
the market today? I saw this one on AircraftSpruce sight .4 AMU's
instead of the usual .8 AMU's. I did some searching and found out that
this particular model is discontinued hense the half-price sticker.

Has any of you flown with this kind of device and how do you think it
does for spotting traffic I flew with a guy last year that had this
exact model in his 182 and it seemed to work well.

Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.surecheck.net/library/ts_datasheet.pdf

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old May 13th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

An AMU is an Aviation Monetary Unit. 1 AMU = $1000. Expressing the
money we spend on our expensive hobby as an AMU insead of saying
thousands of dollars is a way of hiding from the better half how much
flying these things really costs... Also, saying AMU just sounds
cheaper... Just in case she too happens to be reading these newgroups...
:-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ