Transponder replacement suggestions

Old May 10th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Transponder replacement suggestions

Hey all... just got official confirmation that my KT76's power output is way
low.... classic sign of weak/dying/dead cavity tube. Just looking for suggestions on
what might be a good, cost-effective replacement. I'm tired of futzing with
transponders so I'm pretty sure I want a solid-state replacement.

I just had a thought too (for any avionics techs reading)... perhaps the lack
of DME suppression lead to the premature demise of the KT76? I was going to wire it
up when I installed the DME, but the KT76 doesn't have that capability. Maybe the DME
cooked it?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old May 10th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

Hey all... just got official confirmation that my KT76's power output is
way
low.... classic sign of weak/dying/dead cavity tube. Just looking for
suggestions on
what might be a good, cost-effective replacement. I'm tired of futzing
with
transponders so I'm pretty sure I want a solid-state replacement.

Garmin's 327 is awesome. I bought one 4 years ago; no xponder worries
since.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 10th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Nathan Young wrote:
: I just had a thought too (for any avionics techs reading)... perhaps the lack
: of DME suppression lead to the premature demise of the KT76? I was going to wire it
: up when I installed the DME, but the KT76 doesn't have that capability. Maybe the DME
: cooked it?

: I would get another KT76. As with all avionics, install price
: dominates the end cost.

... except in my case.... Re-working the transponder tray is something I
can do in an afternoon and my mechanic is perfectly happy to sign it off.

: Alternatively, are there any pin-compatible transponders (for KT76)?

... but yes there are a few pin-compatible ones now that I've looked a bit.
It looks like the Narco AT165 comes in a couple of different flavors including a
replacement for KT-76, KT-76A, AT-150, or ARC. The garmin low-end ones (GTX320?) also
can come in different flavors.

Another thing I thought of as I wrote the original post was the DME
suppression. It's a wire that disables the receiver on the transponder when the DME
transmits its pulse. It prevents interference with the transponder, and allegedly can
damage the transponder. The KT76 unit does not have this capability, nor does the
connector even have and extra space for it. SO, if I get a new one that's
tray-compatible, I cannot wire that up, which isn't good.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old May 10th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Garmin 330 if you want/need Mode S, otherwise the 327 is great.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 10th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

Hey all... just got official confirmation that my KT76's power output is way
low.... classic sign of weak/dying/dead cavity tube. Just looking for suggestions on
what might be a good, cost-effective replacement. I'm tired of futzing with
transponders so I'm pretty sure I want a solid-state replacement.

Hey, Cory - Just an FYI as I am NOT a salesman, but I have a perfectly
working KT76A that I pulled out of my Bonanza when I installed a Garmin
GTX330.

I had been meaning to put it on eBay, but procrastination sank in and six
months later, I still haven't done so. If you are interested in it, drop
me a note at pjricc @ gmailX.com (remove the x) and I can send you any
information you might need.

--
Peter
Old May 10th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Garmin 330 if you want/need Mode S, otherwise the 327 is great.

Didn't I hear that TIS (traffic information service, or something like
that) is not going to be developed any further? If thats the case, what
is the value (to the pilot) of Mode S to your average part 91 flyer?

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 10th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Frank,

Didn't I hear that TIS (traffic information service, or something like
that) is not going to be developed any further? If thats the case, what
is the value (to the pilot) of Mode S to your average part 91 flyer?

Correct. Here in Europe, Mode S transponders are (becoming) mandatory,
however.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Frank Stutzman wrote:

Didn't I hear that TIS (traffic information service, or something like
that) is not going to be developed any further? If thats the case, what
is the value (to the pilot) of Mode S to your average part 91 flyer?

As an owner of a Garmin GTX 330 with traffic displayed on my MX20, I would
suggest that there is still value in a mode S transponder with TIS, if the
pilot flies a lot in the busy northeast, southeast (Florida), and/or
southwest.

While it is true that the FAA is actually disabling TIS for those radar
sites that they are upgrading, my understanding (based on reading articles
in _IFR_ and _Aviation Consumer_) is that this upgrade is happing slowly,
sometime over the next four to five years, and that the number of sites
that will eventually have TIS disabled is a relatively small number when
compared to the total number of sites that provide TIS.

_Aviation Consumer's_ last article on the subject still advocated TIS as a
cost effective, in-cockpit traffic awareness tool for the next few years.
Of course, if the FAA does get their act together with regards to the
nationwide deployment of ADS-B then this recommendation would change, but
the editors of AC still believe ADS-B is five or more years away from
nationwide deployment.

--
Peter