Buying/selling homebuilts

Old February 7th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

Default Buying/selling homebuilts

On Feb 6, 11:42*pm, "Rich S."
wrote:
"Matthew Speed" wrote in message

news
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 16:20:11 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

I know of a few builders who would probably love to be buried in their
plane but NO, it is not necessary. *On the issue of trusting a
homebuilt aircraft, I would probably be more trusting of most of the
homebuilt aircraft that I have seen than many production aircraft,

My CFI says the same thing. There are a bunch of homebuilts at the
airfield at which I am learning and he speaks very highly of the
general quality of them. *One of his planes shares a hanger with a
very nice Velocity RG (that happens to be for sale)

Saw one of those on final approach to Tacoma Narrows airport the other day..
Damn if'n they aren't pretty. Like watching Princess Leia coming down final
on Waterworld. *)

Rich S. (from the great Pacific NorthWet)

One of my computer consulting clients also owns a Velocity SE RG. He's
offered to take me up but our schedules haven't worked out for me to
go up yet. I'm trying to figure out how I could get to fly it given
the FAA regs on homebuilts.
Old February 7th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

wrote:

I know of a few builders who would probably love to be buried in their
plane but NO, it is not necessary. *On the issue of trusting a
homebuilt aircraft, I would probably be more trusting of most of the
homebuilt aircraft that I have seen than many production aircraft,

My CFI says the same thing. There are a bunch of homebuilts at the
airfield at which I am learning and he speaks very highly of the
general quality of them. *One of his planes shares a hanger with a
very nice Velocity RG (that happens to be for sale)

I have yet to see a Velocity, Lancair, Glassair, GlasStar, KIS or
Stallion that I wouldn't take in a heartbeat. I have only seen a
couple of RV's that I wouldn't want and even those were probably in
better shape than most of the available fleet of older used spam
cans. Of the other homebuilts on the market, it might take a bit more
than a single heartbeat but most of those would gain a nod as well.
The overall quality of the homebuilt fleet that I have seen over the
past 15 years is well above any quality of standard to be expected.
Old February 7th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Feb 7, 9:28*am, es330td wrote:

wrote:

[...]

the FAA regs on homebuilts.- Hide quoted text -

Not sure I understand you final statement. What regulations are you
talking about and why wouldn't you get to fly it? If you are a pilot,
you would only need to be checked out in it before flying. If you are
a non-pilot, you could fly it in the presense of a pilot as long as
the pilot remains the PIC. There are no FAA regulations that keep you
from flying in a homebuilt plane once the restrictions have been flown
off following construction.
Old February 7th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

On Feb 7, 10:46*am, BobR wrote:

Not sure I understand you final statement. *What regulations are you
talking about and why wouldn't you get to fly it? *

I should have been more clear. I'd like to use it for a cross country
trip but I don't know if I am allowed to pay for anything outside
fuel, e.g. prorated engine overhaul costs. I know I can fly it,
especially if I am sitting right seat, but for me flying is about the
freedom to go places.
Old February 7th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

es330td wrote:

One of my computer consulting clients also owns a Velocity SE RG. He's
offered to take me up but our schedules haven't worked out for me to
go up yet. I'm trying to figure out how I could get to fly it given
the FAA regs on homebuilts.

There is NO FAA regulation that would keep you from flying any homebuilt
for which you are otherwise qualified. Further, if your client wanted
to sell you his Velocity there is no regulation stopping him from doing so.
Old February 7th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"es330td" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 10:46 am, BobR wrote:

Not sure I understand you final statement. What regulations are you
talking about and why wouldn't you get to fly it?

I should have been more clear. I'd like to use it for a cross country
trip but I don't know if I am allowed to pay for anything outside
fuel, e.g. prorated engine overhaul costs. I know I can fly it,
especially if I am sitting right seat, but for me flying is about the
freedom to go places.

------------above this line is the prior post--------------

This subject has been addressed frequently, to such an extent that I am
unable to add anything of substance--except to mention that it has been
discussed in AOPA Pilot (probably John Yodice's column) and you could
probably search elsewhere with arguments such as "share expense part 91" or
"sharing expenses aviation" on some of the Internet search engines and/or
the FAA website.

Presumably other travel expenses could enter the equasion as well if you are
dividing them up that formally.

I hope this helps.
Peter

Old February 10th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Feb 6, 3:47 pm, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:

4. The owner or anybody else can work on a Exp-HB. What he can't do is
the annual inspection. Only an A&P or the original builder who got the
Repairman's certificate can do that.

For the Canadians lurking he You buy it, to fix it, you do
the annual on it, too.

5. Like any aircraft you should get someone you trust to go over it.

Got that right, for sure.

Dan

Old February 10th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Buying/selling homebuilts (OT)

wrote:

4. The owner or anybody else can work on a Exp-HB. What he can't do is
the annual inspection. Only an A&P or the original builder who got the
Repairman's certificate can do that.

For the Canadians lurking he You buy it, to fix it, you do
the annual on it, too.

5. Like any aircraft you should get someone you trust to go over it.

Got that right, for sure.

Dan

That isn't specific to aircraft.

Peter

Old February 10th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Feb 9, 7:56 pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:

That isn't specific to aircraft.

No, but pilots, like everyone else, can be real suckers when they
get infected with airplaneownershipitis. We like to think we're
smarter that the average bear, but we're as impatient as the boat or
auto buyer and many end up with airplanes that are nothing more than
holes into which to pour money. Airplanes are (usually) more expensive
than other toys and much, much more regulated, and their buyers can
get stung much worse.

Dan
Old February 10th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote in message
On Feb 9, 7:56 pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:

That isn't specific to aircraft.

No, but pilots, like everyone else, can be real suckers when they
get infected with airplaneownershipitis. We like to think we're
smarter that the average bear, but we're as impatient as the boat or
auto buyer and many end up with airplanes that are nothing more than
holes into which to pour money. Airplanes are (usually) more expensive
than other toys and much, much more regulated, and their buyers can
get stung much worse.

Dan

Very true. BTW, I had intended to add a smiley and then forgot.

Peter