Air compressor question

Old September 16th 03, 12:21 PM
Frederick Wilson

Default Air compressor question

I am still working on home remodel so it will be some time before the
airplane gets started. I am pretty darn convinced that I am going to do an
all wood and fabric airplane. More than likely, the Fisher Tiger Moth.

Anyway, I have come to the point in my home remodel that I am going to need
an air compressor. But instead of just getting one that will do the job
here, what might I need one for when it is airplane time?

What size and compressor (one or two cylinder) should I look at?

Any name brand preference?

Thanks,

Fred

Old September 16th 03, 07:34 PM
Corrie

For sure you're going to want it for doping and painting. Might use
an air hammer to drive the occasional rivet, even in a woodie.
(expensive tool to buy, but you could rent it. You could also use a
ball peen.) Haven't read of folks using air-powered staplers or
nailers; not sure if you could even get the teeny things we use in a
form for a powered stapler. Somebody else might know. You might also
use it for sandblasting steel parts prior to painting them.

A dual-cylinder compressor refills the tank faster. So for high-volume
operations it'll let you work more continuously. If your home project
involves an air-gun nailer or sprayed-in insulation, that'll probably
be the driving factor, rather than the airplane project.

BTW - If you haven't already poured concrete, and you're going to buy
battens, you might take extra care selecting the 2x12s at the
lumberyard. They're often made from Douglas Fir - look for a stamp
that says D FIR (not H FIR or HEM FIR). Weyrhauser(sp?) uses a
triangle stamp with D FIR inside. With some careful picking, you
might find a few boards with clear, tight grain in usable dimensions
between the knots. (Be sure to knock ALL the concrete off before you
take the saw to it, though!)

Old September 16th 03, 08:40 PM
Rich S.

"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message
I am still working on home remodel so it will be some time before the
airplane gets started. I am pretty darn convinced that I am going to do an
all wood and fabric airplane. More than likely, the Fisher Tiger Moth.

Anyway, I have come to the point in my home remodel that I am going to

need
an air compressor. But instead of just getting one that will do the job
here, what might I need one for when it is airplane time?

What size and compressor (one or two cylinder) should I look at?

Any name brand preference?

Whichever model you choose, be SURE to listen to it run before you plunk
down your money. Some of the new compressors are loud enough to shred your
neighbor's panties.

Rich S.

Old September 16th 03, 09:27 PM
Craig

"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message news:FmC9b.365132$Oz4.142857@rwcrnsc54...
What size and compressor (one or two cylinder) should I look at?

Any name brand preference?

Assuming that you will end up using it more than you think, shop
around for a two stage, 220VAC unit with at least a 60 gallon tank.
Stay away from the oilless units for noise reasons. The lower the rpm
of the compressor, the lower noise factor it will have. Keep an eye
out for Champion, IR, and any other big name vendor. Be aware that the
ratings on Crapsman units are very inflated. When you compare units,
use cfm @ pressure to make the comparisons meaningful.

Lots of people have built a/c using the litle hotdog tanked units and
the small household units, but if you have to spend much time waiting
on them to return to the required pressure to do the job, then they
are way too small if you have minimal time to devote to the projects.
For average usage, if the compressor has to cycle one more than once
every minute and a half or less, you need either a bigger unit or more
tankage.

What ever you do, DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT use PVC or CPVC for
pressure piping on your system. Many people use it, but do not
understand that it is not rated for or intended for use with
pressurized air. When it fails, and it will, it will almost always
fail explosively and send shrapnel all over the place. If you don't
belive me, I will show you the pressure rating for PVC with all the
derating factors applied....it's very scary.

More questions? ask away....

Craig C.

Old September 17th 03, 12:17 AM
Morgans

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Frederick Wilson" wrote in message
I am still working on home remodel so it will be some time before the
airplane gets started. I am pretty darn convinced that I am going to do

an
all wood and fabric airplane. More than likely, the Fisher Tiger Moth.

Anyway, I have come to the point in my home remodel that I am going to

need
an air compressor. But instead of just getting one that will do the job
here, what might I need one for when it is airplane time?

What size and compressor (one or two cylinder) should I look at?

Any name brand preference?

Whichever model you choose, be SURE to listen to it run before you plunk
down your money. Some of the new compressors are loud enough to shred your
neighbor's panties.

Rich S.

Part of the things to consider is if you will use a lot of air tools, or go
electric. For a wood airplane, I could see a bit of sanding, and spraying
finish. A small 30 gal 3 HP compressor would not keep up with a air sander,
or spray gun very well. I like air tools cause they are usually cheaper,
lighter, and don't get hot under heavy usage.

If you can swing it, get a big upright 5 HP , NOT oilless unit, and put it
outside if you can. It saves the ears and the space in the shop. All it
needs is a small lean-to roof.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 17th 03, 12:22 PM
Frederick Wilson

Jim,

I can see where that would be good, but it would be a bit hard lugging
around that compressor to the different parts of the house for the remodel.
;-)

I liked the pawn shop idea. I might be able to get something functional and
cheap right now to figure out the features I want for the real one.

It is starting to cool off here in Indiana so, I guess, the new two car
garage/hanger/building shop is out for this year.

Fred Speculating I wonder what the average time difference is between
deciding to build an airplane and actually starting the project.

Thanks for the input,
Fred

Old September 17th 03, 02:13 PM
Morgans

Jim,

I can see where that would be good, but it would be a bit hard lugging
around that compressor to the different parts of the house for the

remodel.
;-)

I liked the pawn shop idea. I might be able to get something functional

and
cheap right now to figure out the features I want for the real one.

It is starting to cool off here in Indiana so, I guess, the new two car
garage/hanger/building shop is out for this year.

Fred Speculating I wonder what the average time difference is between
deciding to build an airplane and actually starting the project.

Thanks for the input,
Fred

Hose is cheap! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old September 17th 03, 02:26 PM
Larry Smith

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Good advice. I would go for the biggest 2-stage affordable. Two stage
because it runs cooler and makes less moisture in the lines when you're
painting.

Old September 17th 03, 04:12 PM
Rich S.

Check out item 47065-2VGA at http://www.harborfreight.com/.

4-1/2 HP 21 GALLON CAST IRON VERTICAL COMPRESSOR
Two Built-in Universal Quick Connect Couplers for Convenient Air Hose
Connection
Long-life oil lubricated compressor with precision machined cast iron sleeve
Twin capacitor motor with thermal overload protection
Wheel kit with 6'' wheels and ergonomic for smooth portability
Oil level indicator window for easy maintenance
Reduced vibration with rubber foot stabilizers
4-1/2 peak horsepower; 120 volt, 60Hz
125 PSI max; 4.4 CFM @ 90 PSI; 11.1 CFM @ 40 PSI
Shipping weight: 152 lbs.
$169.99

Rich S.

Old September 17th 03, 04:23 PM
wmbjk

"Rich S." wrote in message

4-1/2 HP 21 GALLON CAST IRON VERTICAL COMPRESSOR
4-1/2 peak horsepower; 120 volt, 60Hz

chuckle

Wayne