How to get the most from VFR XC's for IFR requirements?

Old December 22nd 04, 12:36 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Why don't you get some IFR training, and come back later to do the XC
flights? That way you will be able to apply your IFR skills. VFR Flight
Following functions basically the same as IFR except for the VFR
limitation. You don't even need a safety pilot as long as you fly
visually, and you can even fly the approaches.

gregg wrote in

Hi all,

I've begun my IFR taining and at the same time, racking up the cross
country hours required for the ticket.

I'm wondering what things I could do in these strictly VFR XC's that
would
help me learn/gain insight or facility with the IFR world. So far I
have:

1) My CFII suggested I plan routes that VOR hop

2) Another CFII suggested I take along IFR enroute charts and look
them over while enroute

3) it occured to me to select alternates and plan fuel reserves as if
this was IMC.

Are there any other things that could be done during a strictly VFR
XC that
would help?

thanks

Gregg

Old December 22nd 04, 12:41 AM
gregg

Roy Smith wrote:

gregg wrote:
After that comes Dayton Ohio to meet a good buddy/pilot of mine.

Then Pennsylvania....

Hmmm. If you're in New England and you're still thinking that
Pennsylvania comes after Ohio, I think you might want to bone up on map
reading :-)

HAHAH no no I GO TO pennsylvania after I go to Ohio. I have to see my buddy
first (he's in Ohio). Penn comes later timewise ;^)

Gregg

Old December 22nd 04, 01:14 AM
gregg

Roy Smith wrote:

gregg wrote:
After that comes Dayton Ohio to meet a good buddy/pilot of mine.

Then Pennsylvania....

Hmmm. If you're in New England and you're still thinking that
Pennsylvania comes after Ohio, I think you might want to bone up on map
reading :-)

Heh no. It's timewise not locationwise:

I have a good friend who lives in Ohio - ex-Navy fighter pilot and Air
Guard pilot. He and I have been friends for about 10 years. When I visited
him a while back he took me up and taught me how to get in and out of spins
because that's not part of the PPL syllabus and I wanted to learn. He gave
me a lot of encouragement and advice while working towards my PPL.

And now, next time I go out there it'll be me flying, not in an airliner
because he's going to teach me how to fly formation, with another buddy.
And a few other tidbits like "power flares".

As for Pennsylvania, well my girlfriend's family lives in Scranton and she
wants us to fly there.

Now, my view is that the ohio trip comes first - them's my priorities. ;^)
Course I'll have to gas up in Penn, most likely, on my way to Ohio.

What do you think? ;^)

Gregg

Old December 22nd 04, 01:17 AM
Roy Smith

gregg wrote:

What do you think? ;^)

Gregg

I think you're going to have a lot of fun.
Old December 22nd 04, 01:51 AM
S. Culver

"gregg" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've begun my IFR taining and at the same time, racking up the cross
country hours required for the ticket.

I'm wondering what things I could do in these strictly VFR XC's that

would
help me learn/gain insight or facility with the IFR world. So far I have:

1) My CFII suggested I plan routes that VOR hop

2) Another CFII suggested I take along IFR enroute charts and look them

over
while enroute

3) it occured to me to select alternates and plan fuel reserves as if this
was IMC.

Are there any other things that could be done during a strictly VFR XC

that
would help?

thanks

Gregg

If your destination X-C airport has a navaid on the field, ask the tower if
you can enter a hold over it. If the controller seems to be slow and there's
not already a published hold on your approach plates, ask them to make up a
hold radial for you, then figure out the best entry.

--
-smc

Old December 22nd 04, 04:41 AM
zatatime

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:20:41 GMT, gregg wrote:

Book is fine, z thanks.

Right now my VFR XC flying is 60-40 pilotage-radio. I'm good at radial
intercepts, using the VOR to figure drift, get to my destination. Quie
comfy with most VOR work but I'm not happy, at this time, unless I know
where I am by landmark/sectional. And that's how I get from A to B -
pilotage.

In thinking this over, it occured to me that I could probably improve a lot
on DR. Also, using DME - the 152's I got my PPL in weren't equiped with
those. I've done some sim time with them but I could use more.

thanks for the good ideas.

Gregg

Your welcome. I'm glad you see the real world value in it. At 60-40
I'd say you're like many pilot's out there. I'm a purist and would
say to shoot for 100% w/o radios, but the realist in me says if you
can get to 90-10, you'll be in good shape.

In reading your other responses it also sounds like you've got a good
plan as to how to build your time. The trips you have planned will
give you flights over varied terrain which you should learn alot from.

Good Luck!

Old December 22nd 04, 12:03 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Gregg,

What gives you the idea the croscountries must be VFR? Fly them under the
hood and log them as both crosscountry and simulated instrument time. That
is what I did and my DPE was happy with it.

Daniel

Old December 22nd 04, 02:31 PM
Peter MacPherson

Also an excellent pilot shop(Airways) on the field at LNS.

wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:14:47 GMT, gregg wrote:

Now, my view is that the ohio trip comes first - them's my priorities. ;^)
Course I'll have to gas up in Penn, most likely, on my way to Ohio.

Lancaster PA has an excellent restaurant on the field, and the people
are friendly.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:15 PM
dlevy

I'm at the latter stages of ifr training and currently doing this.....

Use the low altitude charts. Know exactly where you are based on your
instruments, not pilotage. Use a scale, time, and the chart to estimate
your position and compare with the gps. Turn off (or just don't look at )
the gps. At all times be prepared to tell atc your location. Consider wind
and how it affects your alternate. There are a million little details.
Keep calculating endurance. Write down actual leg time and compare with
predicted. At an intersection, check how accurate you are by looking at the
gps. Believe me, you can stay busy the entire time.

Ask for a vfr practice approach of your choice upon arrival.

"gregg" wrote in message
> [...]
snip Are there any other things that could be done during a strictly VFR
XC that
would help?

thanks

Gregg