10,500 feet is way the heck up there!

Old October 15th 03, 08:15 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Peter R." wrote in message
vincent p. norris ) wrote:

snip
If you go up to 10 K next time you have a head cold, you'll discover
you are NOT "acclimated." DON'T DO IT. It's excruciatingly painful.

Isn't that why the miracle drug, Pseudoephedrine (aka Sudafed), was
invented?

Well, sometimes you'll take it and it doesn't work.

During my training, I was getting over a head cold and felt I was pretty
much done with it. Just to be safe, I took a pseudoephedrine to make sure
that I didn't have any problems. Things were fine during the climb and
maneuvers, but when I descended to pattern altitude, my head felt like it
was going to explode! It suprised me how much it hurt, it felt like my
sinuses were going to pop.

Since this incident, I try not to fly within 2 weeks of having a head cold.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old October 15th 03, 08:23 PM
Peter R.

Jeff ) wrote:

We may have to have a photo contest amoungst every one
who ever submits the best photo wins a free night at your place

Sounds good, but I vote that Rosspilot is automatically disqualified from
this contest.

--
Peter

Old October 15th 03, 08:36 PM
Jeff

I had to go to his site to see what he does, I agree with you after reading this
"OUR QUALITY
Rosspilot uses medium format cameras with a gyro-stabilizer to produce the industry's
highest quality images. Digital files, computer artwork, and other imaging services
are available."

Old October 15th 03, 08:50 PM
G.R. Patterson III

john smith wrote:

That doesn't bother me. It's when they say "I REALLY have to go to the
bathroom!!!", and the piddle-packs won't solve the problem.

Had that happen once at 10,500' smack dab in the middle of the Bristol class-D
(or, at least, the airspace over it). I'm looking down at the Tri-cities runways
when that line comes out of my stepson.

He had to change shorts at Rogersville.

I guess I could've declared an emergency due to hydraulic system failure.

George Patterson
A woman's perfect breakfast occurs when she's sitting at the table sipping
gourmet coffee while looking at pictures of her son on the cover of Sports
Illustrated, her daughter on the cover of Business Week, her boyfriend on
the cover of Playgirl, and her husband on the back of the milk carton.
Old October 15th 03, 09:06 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jeff wrote:

I had to go to his site to see what he does, I agree with you ...

I've been to his stand in the city. Yep, keep him out of it.

Old October 15th 03, 09:08 PM
Jay Honeck

During my training, I was getting over a head cold and felt I was pretty
much done with it. Just to be safe, I took a pseudoephedrine to make sure
that I didn't have any problems. Things were fine during the climb and
maneuvers, but when I descended to pattern altitude, my head felt like it
was going to explode! It suprised me how much it hurt, it felt like my
sinuses were going to pop.

I've only experienced this once, this past summer. I actually managed to
get a cold WITH my hay fever -- something I had not thought possible. (How
does a rhinovirus survive long enough in nasal passages that are constantly
draining due to allergies?)

Same experience -- going up was fine. Coming down, I had to take it the
descent at about 200 fpm -- and even then I thought the only thing holding
my brains in was my headset...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 15th 03, 09:58 PM
Wayne

I realize that. The more nitrogen you take in, the more of a problem it
is during an ascent. One breath of air, as in a free dive won't generally
cause too much trouble. Holding your breath on the way up rather than
letting the gas go as your lungs expand is another matter, pneumothorax (sp)
I believe the term is. That's not the bends though. I was referring to the 2
minute decent to 132 feet though, not a breath hold. I personally have done
that, I cannot hold my breath like that.

The trip back up is where you need to go slowly or risk the bends.
Won't happen in a free dive. This is a result of taking a breath from some
depth (as little as 4 feet down) and then not exhaling when returning to

the
surface, or staying at a certain depth for a long period of time and not
using decompression stops on the way back up :-)

Old October 15th 03, 10:36 PM
Michael 182

I know, I know - it's way OT, but I'm about to spend significant money on a
digital camera, and it seems like the people in here may know more than any
advice I'm getting from friends. I posted over on alt.photography, but it is
a pretty quiet newsgroup.

So, here are some parameters:

$1,000, including enough memory to make the camera useful

10x or greater zoom for youth sports - soccer and basketball

ability to increase zoom for wildlife, nature photos - maybe attach to my
Kowa TSN 822 scope

use for pictures in my 182

What else should I be asking? Is this enough info to make a decision? I am
leaning toward the Fuji S-5000. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Michael

Old October 15th 03, 11:58 PM
mike regish

Canon just came out with a 6 megapixel "SLR" digital that will use all of
the Canon lenses from their 35mm line. This includes sever image stabilized
lenses/ I've seen it for $899 with a 55-80mm lens. That is slightly longer
than it would be on 35mm due to the imaging chip's size. You can have
something like 50 or 60 lenses to chose from. It's the Canon EOS-300D
Digital Rebel.

Look around for prices, but here's a link-if it comes through.

http://www.everyprice.com/cgi-bin/se...00D&Qualifier=
mike regish

. net...

Old October 16th 03, 12:28 AM
Jay Honeck

Canon just came out with a 6 megapixel "SLR" digital that will use all of
the Canon lenses from their 35mm line. This includes sever image

stabilized
lenses/ I've seen it for $899 with a 55-80mm lens. That is slightly longer
than it would be on 35mm due to the imaging chip's size. You can have
something like 50 or 60 lenses to chose from. It's the Canon EOS-300D
Digital Rebel.

That's a great deal, on a great sounding camera, but I want to throw
something in the mix he Convenience.

I used to own a Nikon SLR. All the bells and whistles, all the lenses. The
pictures it took were stunning.

I never used it.

Well, I shouldn't say "never" -- but it was so big and unwieldy that I never
caught that candid shot at the birthday party, or that image of the fall
colors on my way to work. It was just too danged big to be considered
"portable", and it was a major production to get it set up.

That's why we went with the Canon Elph a couple of years ago, even though
photographically there were superior choices. The danged little thing
actually, REALLY fits in your shirt pocket, has a useful little zoom lens,
easy to use controls, and takes pretty darned good pictures. (All the
pictures on our website were taken with it.)

Best of all, it's ALWAYS in my top pocket, or Mary's purse, waiting to be
used... When it breaks, I'm buying another one. (They've now got it up to
4 megapixels, I think...)

Just something else to consider.
--
Jay Honeck