Home aerial for an ICOM AC-A5?

Old December 12th 04, 11:22 PM
Roger

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:36:07 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Just be aware that the PL259/SO239 series of connectors is not waterproof,
not even water resistant. Don't use them where rain and such can
contaminate the coax.

That's why I use a lot of "Liquid Electrical tape". It works very
well. Two coats...Let one cure, then add the second. Coat both sides
of the SO-239 "AFTER connecting the PL-259"

You can also "flood", the PL259 with a silicon grease such as DC4
compound which was made to water proof spark plugs on B-17s and to
keep them from arcing over at altitude. Stuff works great, BUT
nothing will stick to where ever it touches.

I typically use "N" connectors, but they are expensive compared to the
UHF (pl-259/so-239) connectors. I have blown out a couple of N type
barrel connectors to the feed points on the 75 meter slopers. That
shouldn't be a problem on receive.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jim

Purchase an SO-239 chassis connector. Get one that has 4 small screw
holes (one in each corner. I've forgotten the length of a quarter
wave on 122.8, (I'd have to look it up some where around here)

Put a PL259 (male connector) on the end of the coax that goes to the
antenna. Put what ever is required for the end that goes to the
radio. I use PL-259s on each end with an adapter to fit the radio.

Old December 13th 04, 12:16 AM
Rich S.

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Just be aware that the PL259/SO239 series of connectors is not waterproof,
not even water resistant. Don't use them where rain and such can
contaminate the coax.

Amen to that! I had a RG-8 line dripping water on the back of my radio bench
once. Disconnected it from my rig and the damn thing zapped me from the
static charge buildup in the rain & wind.

Rich "I'm feeling much better now, Mom" S.

Old December 13th 04, 01:53 AM
Barnyard BOb -

Amen to that! I had a RG-8 line dripping water on the back of my radio bench
once. Disconnected it from my rig and the damn thing zapped me from the
static charge buildup in the rain & wind.

Rich "I'm feeling much better now, Mom" S.

If your antenna is not at DC ground potential....
expect to get zapped under windy dry conditions.

Barnyard - gamma match - BOb
Old December 14th 04, 06:25 PM
Roger

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:53:20 -0600, Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

Amen to that! I had a RG-8 line dripping water on the back of my radio bench
once. Disconnected it from my rig and the damn thing zapped me from the
static charge buildup in the rain & wind.

Rich "I'm feeling much better now, Mom" S.

If your antenna is not at DC ground potential....
expect to get zapped under windy dry conditions.

Amen! It can give you a real appreciation for "snow static" too.
(:-=))

I had my ham rig set up inside a mobile home while we were building
our new home over South of Breckenridge. (bout 38 years ago). When
not in use the coax was disconnected and put in a broom closet in the
kitchen. The other end of that coax tied to a quarter wave, 40 meter
vertical (33 feet tall).

One day it was snowing like crazy with very strong winds. I kept
hearing a loud popping sound and couldn't figure out what it was.
Investigation led me to that broom closet. On opening the door I was
greeted with some very bright blue arcs as the static built tot he
point where it'd flash over the PL-259. Thing is it wasn't just
flashing over, but arching out a half inch to an inch from the end of
the connector. It was doing that every 3 or 4 seconds.

I didn't take hold of it, but that spark was far fatter than any
ignition I've ever seen, be it conventional, or mag. I'll bet it sure
packed a kick! :-)) I left it alone as I had no desire to find out
just how much energy was in that spark.

Best Home Base Work Reynard Home Built 0 November 9th 04 04:37 PM
Free Volksplane to good home, located in Chino Hills CA Bryan Zinn Home Built 3 July 18th 04 02:55 AM
Home Inspection Listings Patrick Glenn Home Built 4 April 26th 04 11:52 AM
Home Builders are Sick Sick Puppies pacplyer Home Built 11 March 26th 04 12:39 AM
Narco 120 replacement/TKM 11x of ICOM A200 Jerry Springer Home Built 0 January 23rd 04 02:43 AM