Age 60 Rule is now Age 65 Rule

Old December 14th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default Age 60 Rule is now Age 65 Rule

I'm not a huge fan of Dubya, but I gotta give him credit... Today he
signed the bill raising the mandatory retirement age to 65 for pilots.
The "Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act" is now a law. Long
overdue IMHO - interestingly enough ALPA changed their stance on the
issue and only the APA still supported the Age 60 rule.
Old December 14th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig601XLBuilder

Kingfish wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Dubya, but I gotta give him credit... Today he
signed the bill raising the mandatory retirement age to 65 for pilots.
The "Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act" is now a law. Long
overdue IMHO - interestingly enough ALPA changed their stance on the
issue and only the APA still supported the Age 60 rule.

Great news for just about everyone concerned.

I wonder does the APA represent more young(ish) pilots than the ALPA?
Old December 14th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Dec 14, 8:57 am, Gig601XLBuilder wrote:

Great news for just about everyone concerned.

???????????? Let me guess, You are sittin pretty high on your
senoirity list .

I wonder does the APA represent more young(ish) pilots than the ALPA?

This is a good question, But I am sure the fact that the AA guys
managed to maintain their DB plan through all of the industry turmoil
has alot to do with the APA's stance.
FB

Old December 14th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Dec 14, 8:25 am, Kingfish wrote:
The "Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act" is now a law. Long
overdue IMHO - interestingly enough ALPA changed their stance on the
issue and only the APA still supported the Age 60 rule.

"Interestingly Enough"? I am not sure if you are trying to be
sarcastic here, but this is definitely a mixed bag for most of us. Id
hate to be a young kid starting out in the bussiness right now,
although I am sure the LCC crowd is lovin it.
FB

Old December 14th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

F. Baum writes:

???????????? Let me guess, You are sittin pretty high on your
senoirity list .

A higher retirement age is bad news in the short term for pilots still waiting
to get into the left seat, but it should work better for all pilots in the
long term ... because it gives them another five years of flying, and for most
pilots that's the whole reason for becoming a pilot.

Age sixty was always way too young. Personally, I think that anyone who can
pass the medical should be allowed to fly indefinitely. If there is a concern
about having 90-year-old pilots flying airliners, just change the medical
requirements at different ages to reflect the increased incidence of
potentially troublesome conditions.

I also don't think seniority is a good basis for promotion of pilots. It
implies that they are no more skilled than flight attendants. Or is that
actually true??
Old December 14th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

F. Baum writes:

"Interestingly Enough"? I am not sure if you are trying to be
sarcastic here, but this is definitely a mixed bag for most of us. Id
hate to be a young kid starting out in the bussiness right now,
although I am sure the LCC crowd is lovin it.

But doesn't this mean that he'll ultimately fly longer? He may not be
thrilled over the short term, but it means five extra years at the peak of his
career.
Old December 14th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

F. Baum writes:

???????????? Let me guess, You are sittin pretty high on your
senoirity list .

A higher retirement age is bad news in the short term for pilots still
waiting to get into the left seat,

Which would rule you out.

in any case, you are wrong again, moron.

Bertie
Old December 14th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

F. Baum writes:

"Interestingly Enough"? I am not sure if you are trying to be
sarcastic here, but this is definitely a mixed bag for most of us. Id
hate to be a young kid starting out in the bussiness right now,
although I am sure the LCC crowd is lovin it.

But doesn't this mean that he'll ultimately fly longer? He may not be
thrilled over the short term, but it means five extra years at the
peak of his career.

You are an idiot, you don;t fly and this is a complete non sequitor.

Bertie
Old December 14th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig601XLBuilder

F. Baum wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:57 am, Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
Great news for just about everyone concerned.

???????????? Let me guess, You are sittin pretty high on your
senoirity list .

Actually I'm sitting right at the top but my job has nothing to do with
flying. I probably should have added, "...in the long run" to that sentence.

I wonder does the APA represent more young(ish) pilots than the ALPA?

This is a good question, But I am sure the fact that the AA guys
managed to maintain their DB plan through all of the industry turmoil
has alot to do with the APA's stance.
FB

TSA rule, what does this mean? Robert M. Gary Piloting 27 April 21st 07 02:54 AM
OT Message rule???? Tri-Pacer Piloting 9 February 16th 07 04:43 AM
New TSA Rule NW_PILOT Piloting 18 October 27th 04 12:35 AM
New TSA Rule G.R. Patterson III Piloting 0 October 23rd 04 04:12 PM
51% rule Robert Bates Home Built 12 August 1st 03 09:06 PM