5100 more!?

Old March 2nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default 5100 more!?

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#191678

I received my "good morning" this morning courtesy of Avweb. Lycoming has
decided that "they" should "retire" another 5100 crankshafts that were made
between 1997 and 2002.

While not an AD and not mandatory, the Service Bulletin is 57 pages long.
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/supp...tins/SB569.pdf

So, after you look through the list of engines, serial numbers, and
crankshafts, you'll also find that Lycoming wants to be a tightwad about it!
They'll discount the new shaft down to $2000, plus throw in a box of parts,
but you get to pay for everything else. Plus, you don't get the credit for
the discount on the crank until you ship your old one back, at your own
expense.

If there is any good news, it's that this is only a SB, not mandated by law,
and that if you want to do it, you can do it within the next three years or
at the first opportunity that you have to crack your case.

But, be prepared to stand in line.... Priority will be given to part 121 and
135 operators.

Anybody currently going through an over haul that may have an affected
crank? Please let us know the procedures and wait times!

Thanks,
Jim
Lucky owner of 2 non AD, Non SB Lycoming Crankshafts..... I wonder how long
I'll be able to say that.

Old March 2nd 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Sounds like their legal department is positioning the company for an
impending lawsuit...

Old March 3rd 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

There are some advantages to having old engines that
were overhauled back in the days when the metal parts
held together :-) Luckily, I'm also the proud owner of
of AD and SB free Lycoming crankshafts. Hopefully
all this will be cleared up before I need an overhaul.

Ronnie

Old March 3rd 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Lycoming's publication retiring 5100 crankshafts is entitled,
"Mandatory Service Bulletin."

Old March 3rd 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ronnie wrote:

Hopefully
all this will be cleared up before I need an overhaul.

LOL! The great equalizer, that overhaul is.

--
Peter
Old March 3rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

My engine is on it. About 950 TTSN so far. I have absolutely no
intention to proactively change the crankshaft at a cost of
$6000-$7000. If there's no AD (AOPA is already trying to prevent
this), I will not change the crankshaft after Feb. 2009. I probably
have to overhaul the engine by 2011 or 2012 and then we'll see. I very
much believe that this is just a legal issue and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
to do with flight safety. Even Lycoming says "there have been no
failures in the crankshafts which are the subject of this Service
Bulletin".

Gerd
T182T

Old March 4th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"jls" wrote in message oups.com...
Lycoming's publication retiring 5100 crankshafts is entitled,
"Mandatory Service Bulletin."

So it is mandatory for folks flying for hire, but not for straight part 91 flying. It is you option to do it or not on
your personal use aircraft...

Old March 4th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I had the crank in my Extra replaced for free, although the down time was
around two months. It sounds like a simple business decision- replacing the
cranks versus a huge class action lawsuit.