Mystery Vibration - 74 Cherokee 140

Old February 26th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Mystery Vibration - 74 Cherokee 140

Well, I finally have one. The weird vibration out of nowhere. About 6-7
flights ago, i noticed a very slight rhythmic vibration during a smooth
straight and level flight. About 4-5 seconds of smooth flight and then
2-3 seconds of vibration. I chalked it up to the air conditions. Over
the years, I have felt a lot of different vibes depending on the day.
Each successive flight since then it has become more noticeable. The
pilot wife even noticed it, and she has no mechanical inclinations.

Tried dropping mags off with no effect. Uncowled the beast and the
mounts and accessory brackets all look good. Cold or hot engine has no
effect. It is there from take off to landing in 1 hour plus flights.
Mixture appears to have no effect. I tried running through several tanks
of fuel to see if I got a bad load, no change. Checked the airframe for
any loose parts, none found. We have not done anything recently that
could cause it (replacement, maintenance, adjustment, plug change,
etc.). Plugs all clean, harnesses in good shape.

In bouncy conditions, it comes and goes randomly. Feels a bit like a
very light engine stumble or prop out of balance. It is better or worse
depending on RPM, but it is there pretty much between 2250 and the 2700
red line. Cannot tell at lower rpms, the thing usually was not very
smooth throttled back.

A couple of flights ago, I climbed to smooth air and it was not there,
unless I applied a bit of forward pressure on the yoke. Once back down
in the mild bumps, it was there again. Today, I climbed up to about
5700ft to find smooth air. Running 70% power or a bit less at 2475rpm
and again, it was very smooth without a hint of vibration. I tried to
induce it by pushing forward on the yoke, but this time it had no effect.

I'm going to do a compression check with the wrench. Pulling the prop
through after a flight yields 2 successive cyls with more compression
that the other two, but not a dramatic difference. I know how a 60lb.
and under cylinder feels (all too well unfortunately). Never noticed any
vibration or power difference when we had soft cylinders before. The
thing is making what feels to be full power.

Thoughts?
Thanks,

Mike
Old February 27th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Maybe an intake manifold system leak?

Signs would be - does leaning the mixture aggravate it? and does carb
heat alleviate it?

It is a fundamental vibration (once/revolution)?

Old February 27th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...
Well, I finally have one. The weird vibration out of nowhere. About 6-7
flights ago, i noticed a very slight rhythmic vibration during a smooth
straight and level flight. About 4-5 seconds of smooth flight and then 2-3
seconds of vibration. I chalked it up to the air conditions. Over the
years, I have felt a lot of different vibes depending on the day. Each
successive flight since then it has become more noticeable. The pilot wife
even noticed it, and she has no mechanical inclinations.

Ok, not that I know anything, but it really sounds like something is
resonating. And, it's getting worse.

Are you sure you are looking at the right end of the airplane? If it's a
resonance, it could be something somewhere else that is coming loose.

Start by giving the wings or tail a shake and listen for rattles???

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old February 27th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ahem....
A little bit of flutter is developing
pressing on the control yoke is the clue you give.
How would that affect the engine operation?

Randon vibration outof an engine is commonly valve train related.

Kent Felkins
Tulsa

ink.net...

Old February 27th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...
Well, I finally have one. The weird vibration out of nowhere. About 6-7
flights ago, i noticed a very slight rhythmic vibration during a smooth
straight and level flight. About 4-5 seconds of smooth flight and then 2-3
seconds of vibration. I chalked it up to the air conditions. Over

snip

Mike,
Have you checked the torque on the prop mounting bolts?
John Severyn
KLVK

Old February 27th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Is it possible that something has sagged under your cowling and is
intermittantly rattling against something else? An exhaust system or a fuel
or oil line?

Old February 27th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Check the engine mounts. They can cause vibration.

Old February 27th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Just a wild guess but could a control cable, like the elevator cable be
popping out of place around a pulley somewhere. Or the rudder? I am
thinking that perhaps with that happening a surface might be free to
vibrate because the tension is not what it should be.

John

Old February 27th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The Visitor wrote:
: Just a wild guess but could a control cable, like the elevator cable be
: popping out of place around a pulley somewhere. Or the rudder? I am
: thinking that perhaps with that happening a surface might be free to
: vibrate because the tension is not what it should be.

Since you had a relationship with forward yoke pressure and the vibration,
check the stabilator. The bearings/bolts that hold it on are subject to wear and
corrosion... I replaced the two on mine. Grab the end of the stabilator and try to
pull it back/forth and up/down (without rotatating). It should not move at all... no
"tick-tick" back and forth.

Mine weren't too bad, but the bolts had a bit of rust and a slight wear on
them. Just to provoke respect for this oft-ignored point of wear on PA28's....
exactly two 1/4" bolts are what pivot the stabilator and hold the whole thing on.

Other things to check back there are the trim surface. We had to replace ours
due to cracks where it connects to the arm that actuates it. There's also a bushing
in the bottom of the trim jackscrew.

Just some random thoughts... doesn't really sound like engine stuff.
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
Cherokee Pilots Association Fly-In Just Gets Better and Better Jay Honeck Piloting 7 August 8th 05 07:18 PM
Wierd vibration -- Prop or engine, balance or not??? Chuck Owning 17 December 1st 04 02:12 PM
Vibration Testing Jim Weir Owning 21 October 10th 04 07:22 AM
Cherokee National Fly-In & Convention Don Piloting 1 March 20th 04 05:27 AM