Taurus glider for sale

Old April 22nd 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Taurus glider for sale

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 11:15:25 AM UTC-7, 2G wrote:

Additionally, changing the serial number is a blatant effort to disguise the damage history of the glider and constitutes fraud, in my opinion.

We've covered that. The serial number in the FAAs record for the new N-number is the correct one for that airframe. The serial number in the ad is close enough to be explained by a mere typo.

--Bob K.

Old April 23rd 19, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J Wahl[_2_]

Based on what I've read on this thread, my two bits on this a

I've seen the photos of that glider on the trailer after the fire. It was
nearly black due to soot covering the entire top surfaces. The bubble
canopy was black and draped over the seats and instrument combing. I did a
NTSB search on the aircraft, and the incident was never reported. As for
the listing serial number; I would expect that the whole number could have
been entered into the ad. And if you noticed in the ad, the TC was listed
as "Experimental" and not LSA as per the FAA records.

From my understanding, who ever signs the inspection of the annual and
deems it airworthy is Legally Liable and if the plane folds and deaths are
a result, that person will end up in prison for involuntary manslaughter
charges. I know of such a case and the person was sentenced.

So, it's buyer beware and my god have mercy on the AP that inspects it and
signs it off as airworthy.

One last comment.. Does anyone here have any reservations on buying this
plane knowing it's history? Would you chance flying it? Be honest!

Old April 24th 19, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

Sure. Ok. The manufacturer tried to buy it from the insurance company, but failed to come up with the money. Therefore, it went to the next bidder. It was only THEN that they decided to deem it unairworthy. Also of note is who the OP works for. The circumstances of the fire itself are also pretty interesting, considering what was conveniently removed beforehand, but I'll choose not to speculate on things I don't know to be factual.

I've flown the airplane in question. I've also witnessed it being tested to G loading spec, and seen in during refurbishment. I have zero issue with its structural integrity. If ANY of you have a mechanical engineering background and know more then the typical know-it-all soaring pilot, with firsthand knowledge of the airframe, I'm all ears.

Old April 24th 19, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 11:14:49 PM UTC-6, Echo wrote:
Sure. Ok. The manufacturer tried to buy it from the insurance company, but failed to come up with the money. Therefore, it went to the next bidder. It was only THEN that they decided to deem it unairworthy. Also of note is who the OP works for. The circumstances of the fire itself are also pretty interesting, considering what was conveniently removed beforehand, but I'll choose not to speculate on things I don't know to be factual.

I've flown the airplane in question. I've also witnessed it being tested to G loading spec, and seen in during refurbishment. I have zero issue with its structural integrity. If ANY of you have a mechanical engineering background and know more then the typical know-it-all soaring pilot, with firsthand knowledge of the airframe, I'm all ears.

Interesting post Echo, that adds some clarity to the history of that Taurus.. So the insurance company totaled the aircraft? Did the original owner end up purchasing it from the insurance company? Would you please share who tested the aircraft and how it was tested to insure it's airworthiness as well as what the needed refurbishment consist of?

Thanks

Mike
Old April 27th 19, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

I saw it after it was picked up, then after it was flying. The only significant anything was the canopy sagging a bit and some debris damage to a portion of the elevator. But before the fire happened, I believe (may be incorrect here), that the BRS chute and the wing pins were not with the aircraft.. It was listed on an insurance company's salvage auction, and the winning bidder was the manufacturer (but unsure if it was via a US representative), who then failed to come up with the money by the deadline, so it went to the next bidder, who bid significantly less. It was AFTER this that they began a campaign to claim it unairworthy, while meanwhile things like the wing pins were offered for sale to the buyer, by the original owner who made the insurance claim. Seems weird to me...would have thought things like wing pins would go with an aircraft. I do know that the repair and canopy replacement was completed by an A&P/IA.

Regardless, I'm only a spectator to this one. I do agree with other posts however...carbon fiber is incredibly resilient. I wouldn't worry about it at all. The only point I make is that based on what I know and conversations with a few people directly involved, I think it's a lot more complicated/interesting than some have suggested. It also doesn't take much to total an airplane, depending on who has the adjuster's ear.
Old May 3rd 19, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Sure. Ok. The manufacturer tried to buy it from the insurance company, but failed to come up with the money. Therefore, it went to the next bidder."

I'm not sure where all of this misinformation comes from. I was involved with the insurance company in the assessment of this aircraft for return to service. The manufacturer declared it a total write off and condemned the aircraft. The insurance company were advised of this in writing.

The statement above is fantasy, the manufacturer was not interested in purchasing the airframe because we considered it condemned. It was our expectation that the airframe would be destroyed, whatever usable parts salvaged and that was it, end of story.

The manufacturer came aware that the aircraft was still around when a person wanted to purchase a new canopy but would not identify the aircraft serial number which is a requirement for our certification records being an LSA aircraft. This raised more questions than it answered and after investigation we concluded that this airframe was in the process of being rebirthed. This was reported to the FAA at the time because it is our responsibility as a manufacturer of certified aircraft and in particular one which we have previously deemed condemned.

To our surprise the said aircraft popped up on a classified site along with a change in registration category which cannot happen when it is an LSA certified aircraft without the manufacturers express approval and it also turned up with a new serial number. In fact a serial number that is identical to an aircraft currently registered and as you know you cannot have two aircraft flying on the same serial number.

The matter is now under FAA investigation and because legal action is most likely to be taken I would ask you guys to settle down and just let this investigation take its course.

I repeat again that we declared this aircraft condemned, the aircraft was agreed to be destroyed by the insurance company. We did not bid on the aircraft because why would we bid on something that was being destroyed ? The liability remains with why did the insurance company allow this aircraft to be sold or purchased by a new owner and why did this new owner fraudulently return this aircraft into service in a new registration category with a new serial number and with no records indicating this aircraft had been condemned due to a hanger fire. End
Old May 3rd 19, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Again, total misinformation and fantasy, never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

The owner of the aircraft was a Pipistrel dealer, a FedEx pilot and also a pilot of the Orbis flying I hospital. He did not offer the pins for sale after the aircraft was written off, he would not want the liability.

Please, you guys need to be a little bit more responsible about this with some of the statements because they are just not true, not even close to the truth.

Again, the manufacturer declared the aircraft condemned after reviewing photographs of the aircraft in the hangar immediately after the smoke cleared.
they got into their documentation and found the information about what temperature the canopy would melt at, this was well beyond what the composite companies/resin manufacturers would allow for the products that are used in this aircraft manufacture and probably any aircrafts manufacture using composite materials.

I would be negligent of both myself and the manufacturer in looking the other way and allowing this aircraft to be sold to some excited pilot only to have the wings fall off days, weeks, months or years later.

The aircraft was condemned for a reason, you need to think, would you allow your wife or grandchildren to fly in this aircraft knowing its history ? (Divorce cases excluded) as mentioned in another email, the FAA are investigating now and I have trust in the system that they will get to the bottom of this
Old May 3rd 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

Dang there is enough material here for a soap opera! Buyer beware huh?
Old May 4th 19, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I find this discussion intriguing, especially when only half or so of the posters sign their names and/or their affiliation.
Note that many of us reading the posts online which hides the email address, so posts would be more credible if signed.

Ramy (no affiliation and no relation to this aircraft)

Pipistrel Taurus: Club Glider? Phil Chidekel Soaring 3 February 29th 16 05:05 AM
Glider equipment for sale Roger Fowler[_3_] Soaring 0 August 2nd 14 06:05 PM
GLIDER 4 SALE BobD Soaring 0 March 16th 14 09:45 PM
Glider for Sale 5 ugly Soaring 1 December 8th 13 01:57 AM
Taurus Glider Ready for Flight Tests Michael Coates Soaring 5 April 5th 04 04:05 AM