Best California Soaring Schools

Old April 22nd 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best California Soaring Schools

Hi,

Looking for a nice site to take soaring add on training in Ca.
Best area would be a little south close to SFO or LAX but not mandatory.
Have found these options so far,
Soaring Academy, Williams, Skylark.

Any suggestions?

Brgds,

Manuel Ortiz
ATP

Old April 22nd 19, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 4:32:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a nice site to take soaring add on training in Ca.
Best area would be a little south close to SFO or LAX but not mandatory.
Have found these options so far,
Soaring Academy, Williams, Skylark.

Any suggestions?

Brgds,

Manuel Ortiz
ATP

I'd vote for Williams, but I'm biased. Many of the places in CA are very good. Discuss with any place you go what you really want to do and get out if it. Just getting an add-on is not very much. Won't make you much of a glider pilot, and may not let you rent a glider or fly anywhere in it even if you can... again discuss what you want to do. If at Williams I'd look at options of staying over in the studio or bunkhouse and get stuff done over a few days. And maybe making use of spring soaring of trying out some cross country soaring instruction if that interests you. And you may get to fly with high-time ATP/USAF/airline pilot (Hi Marty) which might interest you in a transition - or all the other instructors also fly power as well. Also it's a damn aviation museum. Just go drool at the toys.

I'd recommend looking at Russel Holtz's GliderBooks, check with whatever school you plan to use if they use them, and what they recommend for transition pilots, but petty sure Williams uses those texts. https://www.gliderbooks.com/
Old April 22nd 19, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

All are good folks.
Skylark at Mountain Valley Airport is home for us. We moved here because of MVA 32 years ago.
Tehachapi is a great aviation community. Two airports, tons of aero engineers, and lots of tourist stuff. Also check out the great stuff going on at Mojave Air and Space Port, including Stratolaunch.
If you are here on a Thursday, we have a group dinner. All are welcome!

Janice Hagen Armstrong
DAN crew
Chamber of Commerce queen
Old April 22nd 19, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 4:32:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a nice site to take soaring add on training in Ca.
Best area would be a little south close to SFO or LAX but not mandatory.
Have found these options so far,
Soaring Academy, Williams, Skylark.

Any suggestions?

Brgds,

Manuel Ortiz
ATP

I just finished my training about a year ago at Southern California Soaring Academy and love it! Great place to soar all kinds of lift (thermals, wave, ridge) all year round, and really great instructors. Can't go wrong with Soaring Academy!
Old April 22nd 19, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I was surprised to recently hear from one pilot that the best place to get the add-on rating in California is in Hawaii. http://higlideracademy.com/ No smoke. DPE on staff. Winch and Aerotow. Sustainable flight off of 1000 AGL tow/launches. Five mile ridge adjacent to the airport. Thermals over the pineapple plantations. Total cost including airfare and accommodations was comparable to training on the mainland. (Caveat: this person rented a car and 'car camped' across the street from the airport).

I've also heard good reports about Williams for add-on ratings.

Keep in mind that if you want to actually fly gliders, you will want to take additional training beyond the add-on rating. But doing some concentrated training to get started is highly recommended. The add-on rating will 'make you a better pilot' even if you don't pursue gliding, and training in glider is great fun!

Old April 22nd 19, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Many thanks to all of you!

Looks like I will have to move to Ca. and try them all Wohooo!
Exited about starting this new air adventure.

Brgds,

Manuel
C-180
DC-3--------A-320
Guatemala C.A.

Old April 22nd 19, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 7:32:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a nice site to take soaring add on training in Ca.
Best area would be a little south close to SFO or LAX but not mandatory.
Have found these options so far,
Soaring Academy, Williams, Skylark.

Any suggestions?

Brgds,

Manuel Ortiz
ATP

You certainly cannot go wrong with Williams, they have a great operation and equipment. My wife and I visited this site a while back and have said on many occasions that we will be going back. You will not find a better group of people in this sport, simply stated they are the best. Bob
Old April 22nd 19, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 4:32:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a nice site to take soaring add on training in Ca.
Best area would be a little south close to SFO or LAX but not mandatory.
Have found these options so far,
Soaring Academy, Williams, Skylark.

Any suggestions?

Brgds,

Manuel Ortiz
ATP

All the mentioned operations are reputable good people- you will not go wrong.
As an other option however; if you are looking for a great club environment, the fastest growing soaring club in Southern California: https://cypresssoaring.org/
Small one time initiation fee, monthly dues as little as $55, low tow rates, free instructions and there are no additional costs involved...fly all you want.
Old April 22nd 19, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 4:32:21 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a nice site to take soaring add on training in Ca.
Best area would be a little south close to SFO or LAX but not mandatory.
Have found these options so far,
Soaring Academy, Williams, Skylark.

Any suggestions?

Brgds,

Manuel Ortiz
ATP

I can highly recommend Sky Sailing, in Warner Springs, CA near San Diego. Very experienced instructors, one has over 15,000 hours, others are former US team pilots and national champions... We have wave, thermal and ridge.

Soaring in Central California (Video) Wyll Surf Air Soaring 1 December 19th 18 01:26 AM
New soaring video about flying in Tehachapi, California USA... Glider Pilot Soaring 5 September 13th 18 10:32 AM
Soaring Schools John Foster Soaring 40 December 25th 17 09:55 PM
Central California Soaring Contest, Avenal Update Mario[_2_] Soaring 0 May 10th 10 05:02 PM
May issue of Southern California Soaring is on-line [email protected] Soaring 0 May 5th 04 05:52 PM