New to the Newsgroup

Old October 3rd 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC

Default New to the Newsgroup

FYI: When auto gas was 25 cents, I was making $1.10 an hour. :-)

On 2 Oct 2006 21:57:00 -0700, " wrote:

I havn't had it even as good as 1:3, wanna trade jobs? I've heard some
people say that when you account for inflation gas is relatively
cheaper now than when gas was 25 cents a gallon or whatever. I think
that's a load.

Mike W
PP-ASEL-IA
N45663

GeorgeC
Old October 3rd 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

In 1958, I had just landed my first paying job (other than the newspaper
route) at a TV-radio fixit shop for (believe it or not) 35 cents an hour and
damned happy to have the job. California labor law at the time allowed any
business one (1) "apprentice" under the age of 18 to be paid 35 cents an
hour.

Of course, when I started popping out fixits faster than the full-timers,
the wage went up, but it was at that level for damn near a year.

Jim

Old October 4th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
I havn't had it even as good as 1:3, wanna trade jobs?

Nawh, I actually like my work... The fact that the pay is good enough to
allow me a few toys is nice also...

I've heard some people say that when you account for inflation
gas is relatively cheaper now than when gas was 25 cents a
gallon or whatever. I think that's a load.

That's been long enough that I don't remember how much I made back then... I
can remember getting rid of a '69 Pontiac that only got about 5 mpg when gas
hit $0.50 per gallon back in the mid-to-late 1970s... Come to think of it,
on a cost per mile basis, the vehicle that I drive the most these days is
more expensive than the '69 Pontiac, but it is a bit more flexible in
utility... As we used to say about the Camaros, Firebirds, and GTOs back
then, if the back seat was any smaller, it could be classified as a means of
birth control...

Old October 5th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Out of curiosity was that a typical wage? I make about $13 as a part
timer and gas has been $2-3 a gal recently which is better than what
you would have been paying in comparison. Mebye it's not the economy
going to pot but just the lazy kids

Old October 5th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Meybe dry rental rates have suffered more than gas prices.

Grumman-581 wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup. (WAS: McCain in '08) Larry Dighera Instrument Flight Rules 54 July 24th 06 08:32 AM
OT Newsgroup Song Shawn Curry Soaring 0 January 29th 04 05:48 PM
metric system newsgroup call for votes #1 Paul Hirose Military Aviation 72 November 16th 03 07:59 PM