Nellis on the blocks?

Old July 19th 03, 05:54 PM
ArtKramr

Default Nellis on the blocks?

Not likely. Just came from Nellis and spoke to a Colonel. He said they are
pouring tens of millions into expansions, additions and improvements in almost
every area. I think Nellis will be around for a while.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 19th 03, 07:25 PM
Larry

Just came from Nellis and spoke to a Colonel.
Colonels are often "out of the loop" when it comes to high-level planning
relating to base closures.

He said they are
pouring tens of millions into expansions, additions and improvements in

almost
every area.

This may be true, but it took these projects many years to get planned,
funded, and contracted. They are definitely NOT an accurate forecast of what
the future may hold.

If the base has something that CANNOT be moved, it MAY stay open, as this is
how the "bean counters" look at base closures. Nothing is sacred.

Ok. You can flame me now.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
"ArtKramr" wrote

Not likely. Just came from Nellis and spoke to a Colonel. He said they

are
pouring tens of millions into expansions, additions and improvements in

almost
every area. I think Nellis will be around for a while.

Actually one of the big things that happens when a base closes, is the

amount
of construction skyrockets. They have to dump all the contracts.

Nellis will have no mission when they shut down the range. I don't care

how
many tax dollars you blow, it will serve no purpose. The range has so

many
restrictions now, that the training is academic at best. There's no

real-world
value, except maybe to an MQT student. Most Captains and Majors pretty
much just shake their head at how far gone the training value is.

Old July 19th 03, 08:21 PM
Dave Holford

ArtKramr wrote:

Just came from Nellis and spoke to a Colonel.
Colonels are often "out of the loop" when it comes to high-level planning

And what posiition do you hold " in the loop"

Arthur Kramer

Gee I must have missed something.
I can't see anything in his posting that even insinuates that he is "in
the loop".

Dave
Old July 19th 03, 08:37 PM
Larry

And what position do you hold " in the loop"
I'm not "in the loop" there Art, just like you.

When I worked as Public Works Liaison, I coordinated much of the fact
gathering for BRAC, so I'm familiar with their selection criteria.

And I've been around Public Works Facilities and Planning Departments long
enough to know how the contractual process works. Current construction is a
look into the past and is no prediction of the future.

If you doubt my words, look at what happened at NAS Barbers Point. They
dumped millions (of YOUR tax dollars and mine) into a new Exchange, new
housing, new Commissary, (and many other projects I cannot recall) and then
closed the base. Today it sits less than 1/4 utilized.

I'm sure you don't want to see Nellis closed. I'm not questioning what you
heard. Just don't get all wrapped up in the Colonel's little propaganda. He
is not making the decision whether or not to close the base.

I'm only pointing out how BRAC works.

Subject: Nellis on the blocks?

Old July 19th 03, 09:17 PM
S. Sampson

"ArtKramr" wrote

Nellis will have no mission when they shut down the range.

The range is still open.

Yes, "still" is probably a good word here.

Old July 19th 03, 10:21 PM
S. Sampson

"ArtKramr" wrote

Never flinch before you're hit.

Flinching is a sign you are still alive.

Old July 20th 03, 12:24 AM
Ragnar

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Not likely. Just came from Nellis and spoke to a Colonel. He said they are
pouring tens of millions into expansions, additions and improvements in

almost
every area. I think Nellis will be around for a while.

Besides which, there is NO BRAC list yet. There won't be until the
committee gets its act together and makes one.

Old July 20th 03, 01:24 AM
av8r

Hi Larry

When I was at Barbers Point back in February 2000, the only active unit
there was the Coast Guard (Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point). The
married quarters were all occupied and the Navy Exchange was still open.
Sad to see the place in such a state though when you consider what it
used be like in the 60's and 70's.

Cheers...Chris