Fine wire plugs - pro & con?

Old November 17th 05, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Fine wire plugs - pro & con?

I'm possibly having to replace a set of plugs; what are the pros/cons
of using fine wire types? I know they are more expensive, but what do
you get in return for the cost?

Old November 17th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Longer wear and easier starts on my cabureted Lycoming 0360.

Old November 17th 05, 08:06 PM
clipclip clipclip is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul kgyy
I'm possibly having to replace a set of plugs; what are the pros/cons
of using fine wire types? I know they are more expensive, but what do
you get in return for the cost?
i've had the same fine wire plugs on my TwinCo's IO320's for over 1300 hours with no visible electrode erosion. they also seem to have a wider heat range than regular plugs, an important feature for turbonormalised engines which tend to run hotter than normal in summer.

OTOH, they don't seem to do as well as traditional plugs if your piston rings leak or burn a lot of oil, since they'll foul more easily.

overall, if your engine is in good condition, they seem to be a "better deal" than massive electrode plugs since they seem to have a lower cost per hour.

francois
Old November 17th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I"ve not noticed much difference. One of my Finewire plus died within 6
months. Could just have been bad luck but didn't make me feel good
about spending extra for it.

-Robert IO-360-A3B6

Old November 17th 05, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'll stick my neck out....

During our annual in July, many of our plugs showed signs of wear... oval
center electrodes and excessive gaps. We debated about what to do...
replace the worst ones with massive electrode plugs, replace all of them
with massives, or replace all of them with fine wire. We talked it over
with a couple GA A&P/IA's and a couple of our A&P/IA's in the crop dusting
business.

The GA mechanics said save the $$ and go with massives, rotate and clean
them often, we always have them in stock, we'd have to order the fine wires.

The aerial applicator mechanics said go with the Iridium fine wires and
you'll have less fouling, the gap will never change, keep them rotated,
they'll be the last plugs you ever buy. They run them in all of their
piston engines, very rairly foul them, and normally only change them at
overhauls. They also buy them in bulk and sold us a set of 24 for less than
1/2 the normally advertised price. Sold. Iridium's installed, saved and
cleaned the best of the massives.

Jim

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

clipclip wrote:

Paul kgyy Wrote:

I'm possibly having to replace a set of plugs; what are the pros/cons
of using fine wire types? I know they are more expensive, but what do
you get in return for the cost?

i've had the same fine wire plugs on my TwinCo's IO320's for over 1300
hours with no visible electrode erosion. they also seem to have a wider
heat range than regular plugs, an important feature for turbonormalised
engines which tend to run hotter than normal in summer.

OTOH, they don't seem to do as well as traditional plugs if your piston
rings leak or burn a lot of oil, since they'll foul more easily.

overall, if your engine is in good condition, they seem to be a "better
deal" than massive electrode plugs since they seem to have a lower cost
per hour.

francois

Good response. Fine wires are a good investment in a good engine. On the
other hand, they are a wates of money (and in fact foul more easily) in
some engines, like the old Continental E series.

Rip
Old November 18th 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Much longer life. I expect mine to last until the overhaul and hopefully
longer. I have 500 hours on mine with no noticeable wear. Less chance of
fowling since more of the ceramic is exposed. I have had one bridge with
lead once.
At the very least try fine wires on the bottom and massive on the top. I
really hurts when you drop one though. A lot of money in the trash can.
Michelle (12 fine wires in my engine)