Medal Winners: Air Traffic Control Tapes

Old January 31st 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Medal Winners: Air Traffic Control Tapes

Don't believe you have much of a case for CO 2 poisoning. It is CO that is
the poison!!!

--
Cy Galley
EAA Safety Programs Editor
"Malcolm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Age, along with fitness, are two of a number of factors in CO2
poisoining. Older you get, the less tolerance you have, all other
things being equal. It has to do with the body's ability to handle low
O2 conditions.

-Malcolm Teas

Old January 31st 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Wouldn't it be helpful for civilian towers to do that?

I had a civilian tower say "check wheels down" to me last Saturday.
This was only my second XC to a towered airport, so I had no idea what
they said. I asked my instructor and he told me, so I got a good
chuckle out of it since our gear was (hopefully) fixed - I looked out
the window to make sure it was still there... But, considering a
landing, I guess a little reminder never hurt...

Old January 31st 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Cy Galley" wrote in message

Don't believe you have much of a case for CO 2 poisoning. It is CO that is
the poison!!!

Apparently you never saw Apollo 13.

--
Jeff Shirton (2 Cor. 2:17) jshirton at cogeco dot
ca

Challenge me (Theophilus) for a game of chess at Chessworld.net!

Old January 31st 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Don't believe you have much of a case for CO 2 poisoning.
It is CO that is the poison!!!

Apparently you never saw Apollo 13.

I think what he's trying to imply is that CO poisons, CO2 simply
displaces breathable air.

Carbon monoxide is poisonous.
Carbon dioxide is poisonous.

Indeed, the distinction you are trying to make doesn't apply,
since CO "simply displaces breathable air" in hemoglobin.

Both can eventually kill you, but in different ways.

Yes, by *poisoning* you.

Old January 31st 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Montblack" wrote in message ...

Western Pacific Region:
Traffic call to avoid collision.

Montblack

Sounds like they had their head in the cockpit in VFR conditions - reminiscent of the PSA collision in San Diego...

Old February 1st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Jeff Shirton" wrote in message
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Don't believe you have much of a case for CO 2 poisoning.
It is CO that is the poison!!!

Apparently you never saw Apollo 13.

I think what he's trying to imply is that CO poisons, CO2 simply
displaces breathable air.

Carbon monoxide is poisonous.
Carbon dioxide is poisonous.

Indeed, the distinction you are trying to make doesn't apply,
since CO "simply displaces breathable air" in hemoglobin.

Both can eventually kill you, but in different ways.

Yes, by *poisoning* you.

be your definition, water is poisonous.

want to re-think your statement?

didn't think so

Old February 1st 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message

Both can eventually kill you, but in different ways.

Yes, by *poisoning* you.

be your definition, water is poisonous.

First of all, it's not my definition.

Second of all, *anything* is poisonous (by definition), if consumed
in high enough quantities.

For instance, that common poison called "arsenic" is found in your
body right now. It's a poison to be sure, but it simply isn't present
in toxic amounts.

want to re-think your statement?

Of course not.
Why would I want to do that?

If you don't believe me, simply do a Google search of
"carbon dioxide" "poison", and see for yourself, or go to
your local library, if you don't believe me.

didn't think so

I suggest that you might want to watch your attitude.

Like I said, you can either believe me or not, you can
either discover the facts for yourself, or not.

Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it any less true.

Have a nice day.

Old February 1st 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Cool... l listened to all four or five of them. Thanks for the link.

The Monk

Old February 1st 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:11:54 GMT, "Cy Galley"
wrote:

Don't believe you have much of a case for CO 2 poisoning. It is CO that is
the poison!!!

Oh I don't know... How about in the bottom of a hole? One of the
things we check for is CO2 along with N2, neither of which are
considered poisonous and both can kill. I doubt either could be
considered a problem in an airplane with all the leaks. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 1st 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:20:43 -0500, "Jeff Shirton"
wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
.. .

Don't believe you have much of a case for CO 2 poisoning.
It is CO that is the poison!!!

Apparently you never saw Apollo 13.

I think what he's trying to imply is that CO poisons, CO2 simply
displaces breathable air.

Carbon monoxide is poisonous.
Carbon dioxide is poisonous.

Indeed, the distinction you are trying to make doesn't apply,
since CO "simply displaces breathable air" in hemoglobin.

Both can eventually kill you, but in different ways.

Yes, by *poisoning* you.

No, CO2 does not poison you. Like the pillow over a head/face it can
cut off the air, but it is not a poison. It only mechanically
prevents you from breathing air with O2 in it. Remove the CO2 and you
can breath just fine...if you can still breathe. Remove the CO and
you still need treatment as the blood still will not cary O2.
A poison works chemically on the body in one way or another.

Fresh air and exercise are good for refreshing after CO2, but exercise
can kill after CO exposure.