MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

Old December 4th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

Can you log it? No, for one the flight models are rubbish.

Actually, I've found this is NOT true. What I *thought* were bad
flight models was actually the computer lagging just a split
millisecond behind my control inputs. It was imperceptible, and
everything *looked* smooth -- but it was obviously there.

When we hooked everything up to a truly world-class computer, the
impact was immediate and everyone noticed it. Suddenly, the "flight
models" were dead-on, because the controls were finally responding in
real time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Really?

Spin the plane, stall it and put it in a spin... the models are not
full, it won't do a spin.

Old December 4th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jon Kraus writes:

Oh really. Have you flown in any clouds so you can make that statement
honestly? In my always humble opinion there is a huge difference
between flying IMC for real and playing a computer game.

MSFS isn't exactly a computer game, although the latest version tries
to be.

If MSFS were "as real as it gets" then why can't your time playing
be logged?

For the same reason you can't just install any replacement lamp in
your aircraft.

Old December 4th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

I think it's hard to simulate that without a full motion simulator...

For IFR, a simulator with no motion would also be useful. You may
have to learn to ignore distracting sensations, but it's also useful
to learn to fly with no sensations at all. After all, in IMC you may
not have distracting sensations--you may simply feel that your in
comfy, level flight, even as the plane turns or does other unwanted
things. I've seen a lot of discussion of spatial disorientation, but
none of simply losing all cues altogether, even though that would be
quite an issue in IMC flight.

Old December 4th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

Can you log it? No, for one the flight models are rubbish.

This changes with a few expensive add-ons. The standard MSFS aircraft
are compromises, but you can but add-ons that are just like the real
thing ... so much better, in fact, that it's not unlike having a
completely new simulator.

Is it worth paying 5 bucks to a student who can take flight simulator
and see what they can do about flying approaches, especially DME arcs
etc on a sim, which they can pause and see whats going on, instead of
doing it cold turkey in an airplane the first time burning valuable
time and too busy doing the next thing before they grasp the last
thing? Yeah, the 5 bucks goes a long way.

You can also analyze your flights in MSFS, to see just how closely you
followed your intended course or pattern. I do that all the time.
You can see how consistent your climbs and descents are, how smooth
your turns are, how well you can stay in a holding or traffic pattern,
how well you can hold a course over a long distance, etc.

You can also dial up whatever weather you want, including weather that
would be far too dangerous to train in in real life. Want to see if
you can land in a 40-knot crosswind? No problem. Want fog so thick
you can't see the nose of your own aircraft? Coming right up. Have a
particular blend of IMC or VMC that you'd like to try out but that
never seems to actually occur in your neck of the woods? That's easy
to do, too.

Do you need to learn how to use a GPS? The GPS simulations in some
add-on aircraft are _identical_ to the real thing: you can literally
step away from the sim and use the real GPS on a real aircraft without
missing a beat. A great many other instruments behave identically.

Flight models can be very accurate if you purchase add-ons that are
optimized to match the real aircraft as closely as possible. If you
want to spend ten minutes starting the engines on a 737, that's
possible, too. If you like programming an FMS and then watching it
fly the aircraft for you, you can do that.

All of this would be cripplingly expensive and time-consuming--and
sometimes impossible--in a real aircraft. If you've spent tens of
thousands of dollars on real flight, why deprive yourself of
simulation that you could have for just a few dollars more?

Old December 4th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

Actually, I've found this is NOT true. What I *thought* were bad
flight models was actually the computer lagging just a split
millisecond behind my control inputs. It was imperceptible, and
everything *looked* smooth -- but it was obviously there.

The sensitivity adjustments in MSFS produce a lag. That is, when you
set the control sensitivity low, what MSFS actually does is lag the
response to controls, so they seem less "sensitive." If you want
instant response, dial the sensitivity up to maximum on all controls.

When we hooked everything up to a truly world-class computer, the
impact was immediate and everyone noticed it. Suddenly, the "flight
models" were dead-on, because the controls were finally responding in
real time.

I suppose that's a factor, too. If you are getting less than 25
frames per second, the controls are probably lagging to some extent,
although the frame lag is worse.