What has the SSA done for us lately?

Old July 10th 03, 12:00 AM
ZASoars

Default What has the SSA done for us lately?

As a participant and SSA member I would like to congratulate the SSA and the
two Regional Directors - John Murray and Jim Payne who took the lead in
initially proposing this event to commemorate the 100 years of flight .Together
with their wives (Linda and Jackie) they stepped up, organized and ran this
event over the past several weeks.
Participants included many pilots and crews from all over Europe,
Australia,South America and every corner of the US.
Despite a very unfortuate and tragic accident on day 1, and several legs that
could not be flown because of weather the event was an enormous success. The
grand finale was all the sailplanes landing on that very hallowed ground at
Kitty Hawk where the Wright brothers made their historic flights in 1903.
Many SSA members helped all along the way and many SSA chapters hosted the
event at airfields along the way .
WELL DONE SSA this was an event our organization, and the Directors can be very
proud to have sponsored.

Ron Clarke (ZA)

Old July 10th 03, 01:42 AM
John Shelton

Kill Devil Hills. Yeah. That's the spot where the Wright Brothers became
famous for inventing powered flight thereby relieving mankind from its
burden having to travel around in wheeled vehicles or confining their flying
to short hops in gliders carrying no payloads. From that point on,
commercial transportation, special cargoes, and warfare would be dominated
by the powered aircraft and those gliders that they strapped engines onto
would sink into the toybox. Yeah. I wonder what the Smithsonian has planned
for the place. Ought to be nice and relevant.

Now all those guys have to drive back...

"Orville. Call it!"

Old July 10th 03, 11:34 AM
iPilot

Interesting.

If one takes a sailplane and mounts an engine on it he gets a powered sailplane. What makes me
thinking that Wrights plane was not a powered plane, but a motor glider :-). A selflauncher to be
excact. Or a touring motor glider.

Kaido

thlink.net...

Old July 10th 03, 03:35 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Shucks, we're just celebrating the invention of the tow plane over here in
the USA;^)

Frank Whiteley

Old July 10th 03, 06:59 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:34:01 +0300, "iPilot"
wrote:

Interesting.

If one takes a sailplane and mounts an engine on it he gets a powered sailplane. What makes me
thinking that Wrights plane was not a powered plane, but a motor glider :-). A selflauncher to be
excact. Or a touring motor glider.

Not even self-launching. It needed a bungee launch even with the
engine running.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old July 11th 03, 12:05 AM
Dave Nadler \YO\

No, it did not need a bungee; it accelerated and launched fine from
its "railroad track". The weight-assist mechanism was added later for
their flights in Dayton, because they had trouble laying out a long
enough track.
Best Regards, Dave

Old July 13th 03, 02:54 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:05:36 GMT, "Dave Nadler \"YO\""
wrote:

No, it did not need a bungee; it accelerated and launched fine from
its "railroad track". The weight-assist mechanism was added later for
their flights in Dayton, because they had trouble laying out a long
enough track.
Best Regards, Dave

Thanks for the correction. I knew about the rail obviously: its in the
picture but (mis)remembered the falling weight catapult being at Kitty
Hawk as well. I've lent my copy of 'Kill Devil Hill', so couldn't
immediately check back against that source.

I wonder if the replica flight attempt will have a catapult handy in
case they get a calm day?

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK