GET YOURS THIS WEEK- GLIDING INTERNATIONAL MARCH ISSUE

Old March 6th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GET YOURS THIS WEEK- GLIDING INTERNATIONAL MARCH ISSUE

GLIDING INTERNATIONAL
ISSUE MARCH 2017

The March 2017 issue went in the mail on March 1 and should be with subscribers within a week. The Digital version was released on the same day.

Our circulation continues to grow and the March issue breaks new territory with a fresh look at ”falling membership.” We regretfully have to assume that the International Gliding Commission or (even the FAI) are not interested in accepting that they have the responsibility of addressing the problem and bringing forth a united world wide program to at least attempting “a fix.”

Fees paid to FAI are not inconsiderable and the advantages are getting less and less. New Zealand has acknowledged that they can no longer afford to send a representative to Europe to the IGC annual meeting and we suspect they are certainly not the only member country in the same position. The sport needs a more switched-on body that is aligned to the whole membership and not just the two percent of the membership that are competition orientated. In other words IGC is fast outgrowing its usefulness.

• Gliding’s Best Kept Secret - The Jonker factory have released the story on just how they went about designing and manufacturing their new JS3. A company with a dedicated goal! They are now a force to be reckoned with.

• The weather at Benalla for Australia’s World Championships was a major disappointment for the dedicated team that excelled in providing everything except great soaring conditions. We devote 12 pages covering the event with some spectacular photos.

• Schempp-Hirth’s new Ventus hits the headlines in this issue. And for the first time ever, we have seen a quoted price in public. Unsubstantiated - €100,000.

• OSTIV had a very successful Congress at Benalla and Gerard Robertson has produced an excellent report. OSTIV is far more membership related than IGC and they should be receiving more support participation from the whole gliding movement.

• FAI has become a member of the Olympic TV sports organisation .

• Virtual Reality has arrived and it has a great future for pilot training in the gliding movement (If only it could be organised on a world wide basis). They are a fraction of the cost of a sailplane simulator. A very worth-while project that could make a difference to our gliding population. We have done some electrifying research.

• Bet you haven’t heard about the gliders that ended up in the US Airforce and were fitted with motors and used as observation aircraft in the Vietnam war. Gliders as war birds ? Yes ! One of our best stories!

• The medical battle is over in the USA and a number of CAA’s around the world are considering accepting their lead as a concept of some merit. Will your country follow the U.S. move ?

• Englishman, G Dale, is producing a new series of training manuals. We think they lead the market and are worthy of considering as an aid for your club and your members. After all, G is the most advanced mountain soaring instructor in the world. Read about him in this issue.

• Veronica is a new name on the Namibian scene. Just completed their first season. A well illustrated project.

• Our Sebastian Kawa article on soaring in Russia in our last issue has generated some interesting possibilities on sites with considerable soaring possibilities. Russian soaring pilot, Dimetria Ivanischev, has written to us about going to likely locations he personally wants to explore. Anyone with their hands up for a Russian expedition?

• And we tell you how to handle yourself when you have been “balled-lout”
by an air traffic controller for an airspace infringement.

• All this plus 35 other stories that will educate and inform.

As we have said before - our best issue yet!

We hope you will join us.
JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR.