Soaring Music Video -- Marfa, Texas

Old March 4th 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Soaring Music Video -- Marfa, Texas

"Kiss A Dirt Road In Texas (sang the drummer in the band.")

Enjoy it on youtube at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOmx...are_video_user

A new music video (with my ASK-21 sailplane) written and sung by J. Brian King about my wonderful life as a flight instructor and musician at Marfa in southwest Texas. I was amazed and flattered that Brian would write and sing this song about me, and create this excellent video, from his album "Naked Roads."

Yes, I'm the drummer / pilot, "looking for a place to land . . . "

Old March 4th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

Excellent video production and original "score". That's Burt at 2:00.

Mike

Old March 5th 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 3:28:20 PM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Excellent video production and original "score". That's Burt at 2:00.

Mike

The producer, singer / songwriter is the well-known fashion and commercial videographer J. Brian King of SUNKING Studios in Coconut Grove, Florida. Brian and I were in our first three successful bands together circa 1964 to 1966 in Miami. We lost touch for decades and then he got wind of Marfa as a film location (Giant, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood.) Researching the art and music community of Marfa on the internet he found "Marfa Gliders" and discovered that I had made the move to Marfa from Miami to continue my glider flight school and sing in an oldies band. He realized that my life was a great theme for a song. He really captured the "Marfa Mystique" in both the lyrics, written before he had even visited me in Marfa, and the subsequent video he filmed here in January 2017. The two-step dancers are my local tow pilot / CFIG Cade and his gal Rafael. One of my favorite scenes is when I fly my towplane's shadow over the dancers by my pickup truck by my hangar. We nailed it on the first take, like many of the scenes in the video around Marfa town.
Old March 5th 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IA DPE

Very nice, Burt!
Old March 6th 17, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 10:21:03 AM UTC-6, IA DPE wrote:
Very nice, Burt!

Great story, song and video, Brian and Burt. I'm eager to visit you to see what Marfa's all about!

Chuck
Old March 7th 17, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 10:15:36 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, March 5, 2017 at 10:21:03 AM UTC-6, IA DPE wrote:
Very nice, Burt!

Great story, song and video, Brian and Burt. I'm eager to visit you to see what Marfa's all about!

Chuck

Let me know when you might visit as I travel occasionally conducting FREE "Site Surveys" of clubs for the Soaring Safety Foundation (no flying when I'm away.)

Lots of soaring history here since 1960 and my big hangar is the location of the 15th National Landmark of Soaring as designated by our National Soaring Museum in Elmira, NY. The 5,000' msl high Marfa Plateau is surrounded by mountains and is where "The Sun Ship Game" movie was filmed at the 1969 US National Contest. Wonderful scenery, grasslands (no oil), a big blue sky, the stars at night, art and music year-round. More about my activities on my Facebook page as "Burton Compton."

E-mail me to discuss your plans (please don't show up without letting me know in advance!)
Old March 7th 17, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lewis95

Very cool Burt! .. well done.
Curt Lewis - 95
Old March 10th 17, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 9:39:36 AM UTC-6, Curt Lewis - 95 wrote:
Very cool Burt! .. well done.
Curt Lewis - 95

Thanks, it was amazing to have a song written about my wonderful life in music and aviation.