FLARM antenna question (hindrance from metal)

Old March 16th 13, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default FLARM antenna question (hindrance from metal)

On Friday, March 15, 2013 11:28:44 AM UTC-4, bumper wrote:
Dave,
Just to be clear, my reply to 2NO wasn't uninformed RAS speculation.
I simply did not go into detail as to the reasons why, when I wrote,
"Also, be sure to keep the coaxial cable running straight away from
the antenna for a few inches - - don't run it alongside the radial.".

bumper

No worries bumper, no one is going to accuse you of being uninformed !
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old March 9th 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Any suggestion on mounting the Dipole antennas in a 1-26B (aluminum nose)
Old March 10th 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 1:02:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any suggestion on mounting the Dipole antennas in a 1-26B (aluminum nose)

An external mount might be a good option on a 1-26.

Does it have a nonmetal (fabric or fiberglass) nosecone?

On top of the instrument cover might be an option.

Chris
Old March 10th 17, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On top of the instrument cover might be an option.

Chris

Chris, I'd guess you're not familiar with a 1-26:

The instrument cover is the metal nose cone. Top of the panel is the outside skin of the (metal)glider
Old March 10th 17, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 09 Mar 2017 10:02:02 -0800, johnfwahl wrote:

Any suggestion on mounting the Dipole antennas in a 1-26B (aluminum
nose)

On top of the fuselage behind the cockpit?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 10th 17, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

At 08:29 10 March 2017, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 09 Mar 2017 10:02:02 -0800, johnfwahl wrote:

Any suggestion on mounting the Dipole antennas in a 1-26B (aluminum
nose)

On top of the fuselage behind the cockpit?

Not a dipole, but 1/4-wave.

If a suitable place can be found, Below the fuselage might be better,
giving better reception from the direction where you cannot see.

Old March 10th 17, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 1:02:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any suggestion on mounting the Dipole antennas in a 1-26B (aluminum nose)

John,

When I had 192, I mounted them on a piece of plastic running between two arms of the A frame pretty high under the rear canopy. This seemed to work pretty well. I did have a clear rear canopy.

Kevin Anderson
Old March 10th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:38:37 +0000, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

At 08:29 10 March 2017, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 09 Mar 2017 10:02:02 -0800, johnfwahl wrote:

Any suggestion on mounting the Dipole antennas in a 1-26B (aluminum
nose)

On top of the fuselage behind the cockpit?

Not a dipole, but 1/4-wave.

Yep, apologies - I meant a bottom-fed rod antenna, using the 1-26 alloy
fuselage as a ground plane. Didn't think of 1/4 wave, being sometimes a
bear of very little brain.

If a suitable place can be found, Below the fuselage might be better,
giving better reception from the direction where you cannot see.

Judging from photos, there isn't much clearance between a 1-26 and the
ground, so antennae mounted on the underside may get a lot of damage.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 10th 17, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

A Metal nose (not the nose cap) 1-26B would be a bit rare, most have a fiberglass nose I believe the 1-26A had a fabric nose. in which case mounting high in the nose would probably work good to fair. Of course a 1-26D or E has the metal nose so mounting an external 1/4 wave antenna is probably a good solution.

On all except the E model, one could consider mounting a dipole antenna as far back and low as possible in the Fuselage, As far back to minimize the cockpit metal from blocking the forward signal an as low as possible to get it as far away from the upper aluminum deck on the fuselage.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
Old March 12th 17, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I own a B4 with a plastic nose cone. I have a dipole strapped to the front most frame.
This gives me a very good range forward and still a decent range in other directions.

I used to have a mono pole mounted on the back of the glider, just behind the wings. This gave me horrible coverage in most directions. Especially downwards, due to the wings.