LS to DG

Old July 10th 03, 08:55 PM
Tim Mara

Default LS to DG

it doesn't get much clearer than this....
DG overtakes LS
on the DG website now:
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/ls-start-e.html
tim

Old July 11th 03, 09:58 AM
Janos Bauer

You were not far from the truth

"...DG Flugzeugbau takes over Production
of the new UL "Silence"

The second topic is as important as the first one:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.com/silence-start-e.html
...."

/Janos

ch wrote:
bad news mate,

it only proves, that banks are really restrictive,
when it comes to give credit to small business.
Private investers who saved DG must have liked
the oportunity to catch a competitor.
I only hope, that the know how transfer to DG
will also have a positive influence on DG gliders
(how they look inside).
But in general it will be hard for the traditional
glider manufacturers to compete, unless they
join the ultra light sector as well.
Gliders like the Apis http://www.apisgliders.com/,
are very attractive (more than a PW5) especially
for all the para glider and hang glider pilots who
start flying sailplanes and pilots witch cannot spend
much money on a new glider.
These gliders even can be towed by a trike. So they
can start cheap and can use the same flat country
hang gliding start fields as before.

Melbourne
CH

Old July 11th 03, 12:00 PM

I belive that DG also has interest in the Apis business, maybe this is not
official, but..........
Old July 11th 03, 05:35 PM
Apis Gliders

In article , Janos Bauer
writes:

ou were not far from the truth

"...DG Flugzeugbau takes over Production
of the new UL "Silence"

The Silent glider and the Silence UL airplane are two very diffrent projects,
from two diffrent companies..
DG is becomming involved with the UL airplane.

Robert Mudd

Old July 11th 03, 05:35 PM
Apis Gliders

In article , Andreas Maurer
writes:

1. Is it really possible for the manufacturer to earn money with such a UL
glider?
Yes.

I see no way how such an equation can work as long as the UL glider is not
produced in a 3rd world country with extremely low wages.
That is what is happening. They are, for the most part, produced in countries
with lower wages than Germany. Even German gliders are produced in these
countries.

2. As long as used gliders of similar or superior performance are easily

available for the same price (especially this is the case for the huge
European market) few people are going to buy an UL glider.
Depends on the wants of the individual buyer. Some only want new. Some want a
lower cost selflaunch. For some the lightweight is important.
See www.apisgliders.com FAQ for more on this subject.

3. Aerotow by trike might be nice - but aerotow with a motorglider (Dimona

etc.) is similar concerning the cost
Not when you look at the cost of buying a trike versus buying a Katana
motorglider. About $100,000 difference at first glance.

And of course the cost for a winch launch are in a completely different
class.
As I understand it German UL regulations do not allow for winch launching.
Can anyone confirm this?

4. UL gliders have to be operated like outgrown gliders - they need helping

hands and an airfield to get airborne. No advantage for an UL glider vs an
outgrown glider here either.
Well I can easily push my 300lbs Apis glider to the launch grid, bit more
difficult with my 520lbs Genesis.
I can use a 13 year old to put my wings on because of their light weight,
(70lbs./31.5kg.).

Obviously the light gliders are giving the market what it wants. How else can
you explain the success of the Russia, Silent and the best of the lot the Apis?
The market speaks, the big 4 are not listening, the little 3 are.

Robert Mudd
Apis Sailplanes inc.

Old July 11th 03, 11:32 PM
Paul

The only connection between Apis and DG is that the DG 1000 Turbo is going
to use the same engine/propeller combo that the Apis uses to self launch.
As follows.

B. The Power Plant
We did an extensive market research for existing modern auxiliary power
plants, not to invent the wheel again. This lead us to the power unit of the
ultra light glider APIS, developed and currently under test by Martin Wezel
of Wezel Flugzeugtechnik (Wezel Aircraft Technologies). Since this engine
allows self-launches of the APIS, we are confident it is well suited to add
the return flight capabilities to our two-seater. Therefore we started the
collaboration between Wezel Flugzeugtechnik and DG Flugzeugbau.

Core of the power unit is a single cylinder two-stroke engine from
Goebler-Hirth, with a directly attached 2.5:1 reduction gear. The engine is
currently certified for ultra lights, we need to extend this certification.