Flying Technique Question of the Day

Old October 2nd 03, 02:27 PM
Jim Vincent

On final, assuming there is a crosswind and you need to forward or side
slip,
does it make a difference which wing is held down, and why?

Since you're a CFIG, I' assuming that you already have an answer to
the question, and that you were curious as to what the "newbies" would
answer ?

Just have a minute to give my input since I'm leaving town for the next three
weeks...

You want the wing down into the wind. Too often, if some one is doing a
pattern, they maintain the same bank direction in a slip that they used in the
pattern. You have to be consciously aware of this and know which will be the
"low" wing on final.

The main reason is to correct for cross wind component. If the wind is coming
from the left and you're banked right wing down, there is very little ability
to adjust for the non-constant cross wind.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old October 2nd 03, 06:39 PM
Chuck Scrivner

At 16:06 02 October 2003, Mike Stramba wrote:
(Marcel Duenner) wrote in message

First: what do you mean by a 'slipping turn' and when
would you need one?

Chuck Writes;
It was required that I demonstrate a slipping turn
for the Practicle exam. It is not difficult. But,
I contend that it should never be necessary. A good
pattern should resolve any altitude adjusment necessary.
If a slip is needed, there should be plenty of time
in the Down Wind, Base or Final areas.

A good turn is a Coordinated turn. A good pattern
leads to a good landing.

I dislike the terms 'top rudder and Bottom rudder'.
They are confusing and easily mistaken by the fledgling
student.

A slipping turn for the Practical test is like Boxing
the Wake. It just demonstrates pilot control abiliities
and serves little purpose for actual flight.

If you HAVE to slip in a turn, you have totally misjudged
your pattern entry, placement and timing.

Slips ARE fun. I really like to 'crank it sideways'.
But, if you are constantly requireing a slip to final,
then you need to work on your landings and visual references.

The 'Forward' Slip on Final (to lose Altitude) should
ideally be with wing low and/or nose with wind. This
allows an (argueably) easier transition to 'Side' Slip
for Cross wind compensation. I find little difference
one way or the other.

Be aware that there is a tendency to lower the nose
when entering a Foward slip to lose altitude.

This is counter productive for all of the 'speeds to
fly' reasons.

Set up your appropriate pattern or final speed. Maintain
the SAME horizon attitude during the Foward slip.
This will give the greatest amount of Altitude lose
for a given distance and your airspeed will remain
constant.
End O' Rant

Chuck
********

You've never heard of a slipping turn? Well... it's
a turn + a slip,i.e. the contols are 'modulated' so

that the flight path is curved, as in a 'normal' turn/bank,
but the sink rate is accelerated with top rudder.

Second: IMHO you should never start a slip before
being fully
established on final. Separate the two manoeuvres.
That also means it doesn't matter which direction the

last turn had.

I don't see why. Flying should be a 'fluid' process.
Labelling
'slips', 'turns' / banks, etc is useful when learning,
but after that
it should all be just called 'flying'

Mike

"Cleared Straight-In Runway X; Report Y Miles Final" Jim Cummiskey Piloting 86 August 16th 04 06:23 PM
NE Flying Royce Brown Piloting 1 July 8th 04 01:17 AM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM
'They want to ban recreational flying...' Thomas J. Paladino Jr. Piloting 28 July 22nd 03 07:20 PM
Got my ticket.... now what (the cross-country question) bdl Piloting 6 July 13th 03 02:06 AM