FES&electric system batteries

Old February 23rd 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default FES&electric system batteries

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 6:40:38 PM UTC+3, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 5:27:10 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
Interesting that while current Kokam batteries for FES cost 8000 euros (2000eur/kWh), at the same time Tesla is building batteries costing under 200 eur/kWh. Assembling FES battery with new Tesla cells would cost one tenth, even doubling or tripling that would still keep it quite affordable. Why use so expensive battery?

I think this is where Bob K or Darryl R inserts pictures of Flaming Tesslas...

Pretty sure the percentage of Teslas going up in flames is no higher than for petrol powered cars, and only after crashes not before. We're not talking Note 7's here.
Old February 23rd 17, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tesla is CLAIMING to be building batteries costing under 200 eur/kWh...
Old February 24th 17, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 23:59:50 UTC+2, wrote:
Tesla is CLAIMING to be building batteries costing under 200 eur/kWh...

I'm sure the size of their project dictates that they can not be much off that price...
Old February 24th 17, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I think it's a couple things.

1- as soon as you add "aircraft" to a part description, the price goes up. That little stamp on a part has to be backed up by a mountain of paperwork, thus some of the price increase.

2-economy of scale. How many FES battery packs will be made in a year? How many Tesla battery packs will be made in a year? We should know that the more pieces made in a given time frame drops the per piece price.

With Tesla building their own plant, they should have a better handle on manufacturing costs and quality. Time will tell though.
Old February 24th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tesla makes all their profits off carbon credit games. Thus Tesla pricing might not match reality.
Old February 24th 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 8:03:41 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Tesla makes all their profits off carbon credit games. Thus Tesla pricing might not match reality.

Plus, they are selling 'vapor ware', what a concept! You give us $$$'s of your hard earned money for something that doesn't really exist yet (but we promise you a spot in the line, maybe). Call back in a couple of years. Oh, and buy our stock, will you?
Old February 24th 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Don't think the BD-5 had massive government subsidies to help rich white
guys buy the things. Picking winners and losers didn't extend down to
the homebuilt GA market. Defense contractors, sure.

On 02/24/2017 09:34 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Sounds a bit like the BD-5, doesn't it?

Old February 24th 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Rich white guys? How about people who simply work for a living as most
home builders are? Since you're a glider pilot you must be a "rich
white guy" too. Or are you a female, or a different color, or does it
really matter? Not to me. Is that you, Dave?

My point was that Jim Bede was always promising more than he could
deliver and asking the hopeful builders to hang in there.

--
Dan, 5J

ASW24 - electric valve system Norbert Gulczynski Soaring 1 January 25th 15 01:13 PM
AGM Batteries Dave Anderer Owning 13 March 29th 08 07:38 PM
System Operation of Aircraft System [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 October 12th 07 06:50 AM
2-Batteries [email protected] Soaring 69 January 4th 07 04:09 AM
160 new batteries Mal Soaring 0 October 27th 06 11:36 AM