Iowa City Airport in the News

Old April 8th 05, 04:47 AM
Dave Stadt

"H.P." wrote in message
om...
OK you can subsidize the employer's wages by a 30% premium to bring them

up
to your trailer-park wage level. Next time you call line service for a

tow,
tie-down or fill-up, tell them they're not worth the air you'd have to
breath to say they're worthless pieces of s**t. Ensure you do that before
they make the choice between pumping 100LL or JetA in your tanks. Bring

cake
for them to eat to get the message across.

??????????

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

"Morgans" wrote in message

"airman" wrote

Now, if only we can convince Wal-Mart to sell AvGas or open a Pilot

Shop.
Should have been part of the sales contract.

Yea, and a place you can get your oil changed, and your tires rotated!

:-)
--
Jim in NC

No way in hell would a minimum wage (or lower) Wal-Mart employee touch
something that my life depended on.

Old April 8th 05, 04:55 AM
Jay Honeck

Go to http://registry.faa.gov/arquery.asp and search for the names
WAL-MART and WALMART. I heard of a case where an employee complained
of harrassment and WM had an investigation team from headquarters in
the store before the day was over. Sam Walton puttered around from
store to store in the early days in a Tri-Pacer.

He also you used to proudly display "Made in America" on the walls of his
stores.

Those were gone before his body was cold in the grave...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 8th 05, 06:02 AM
Highflyer

"John E. Carty" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
John Galban wrote:
Good job Jay! I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart, but they will be a much
better airport neighbor than a housing development (a problem we have
at my airport). The fact that Wal-Mart also has the $$'s to allow the
airport to bail itself out is also handy.

And, they will be frequent user of the airport.

How do you figure Wal-Mart will be a frequent user of the airport???

Sam Walton used to fly all over the place in his TriPacer.

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

Old April 8th 05, 06:16 AM
Chris

"john smith" wrote in message
John Galban wrote:
Good job Jay! I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart, but they will be a much
better airport neighbor than a housing development (a problem we have
at my airport). The fact that Wal-Mart also has the $$'s to allow the
airport to bail itself out is also handy.

And, they will be frequent user of the airport.

How do you figure Wal-Mart will be a frequent user of the airport???

Sam Walton used to fly all over the place in his TriPacer.

Nice plane the Tripacer

cb

Old April 8th 05, 06:17 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote

Roofs in this area of NJ are designed for a snow load of around 30 pounds

per
square foot. I expect they're stronger in Iowa, but they're still not

designed
to hold a typical small plane.

George Patterson

That is a bit of a missunderstanding. If you had snow, level on the roof,
up to where there was 30 lbs/sq. ft, that would load the roof to a point
that it would do no damage to the roof, and even more significant, it would
not sag more than a certain amount that is determined by a formula, with
span heavily considered. Add on to this, that the design safety margin is
about a factor of two, so you could load the roof to 60 lbs, and the roof
might be close to failing.

This small plane on the roof would have more weight per square foot than the
30 pounds, but would be way less than the amount of weight of the snow in
that span/area.

If the material the deck is made of would be strong enough to spread the
load without failing, it would not be an issue. This is most likely the
case, since the roof deck is made of steel, dense foam, and rubber membrane.
The foam has no strength, but would deform and absorb much of the force of
the impact.

Another thing that was unsaid is that the roof and the plane would need
repair; perhaps considerable repair. It would still beat landing on a
house, or a full parking lot with poles all over, or a street full of cars
and poles and wires. A field would beat the h*ll out of the roof or all of
those other places.

That said, I don't want to be put in the situation of any of the choices,
but the roof landing done under control should not involve any fatalities.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 8th 05, 10:48 AM
Matt Whiting

George Patterson wrote:
Jose wrote:

And what the heck! Another bonus is that WalMart roofs make a pretty
good
small plane emergency landing place! (WINK-GRIN)

I suspect they wouldn't hold up, but does anybody know for sure?

Roofs in this area of NJ are designed for a snow load of around 30
pounds per square foot. I expect they're stronger in Iowa, but they're
still not designed to hold a typical small plane.

George Patterson
Whosoever bloweth not his own horn, the same shall remain unblown.

If the roof sheating can handle the "point" load of the gear, which many
likely can, the overall weight of the plane won't be a problem for the
underlying structure. I would suspect most commercial buildings would
handle a "normal" touchdown of a typical light plane.

Even at 30 psf, a 10x10 patch of roof will hold 3,000 lbs.

Matt
Old April 8th 05, 01:31 PM
Blueskies

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:%gn5e.13830$yg7.1799@attbi_s51...

He also you used to proudly display "Made in America" on the walls of his stores.

and the sad thing is folks still think they follow that mantra...

Old April 8th 05, 02:37 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Gene Seibel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Go to http://registry.faa.gov/arquery.asp and search for the names
WAL-MART and WALMART. I heard of a case where an employee complained
of harrassment and WM had an investigation team from headquarters in
the store before the day was over. Sam Walton puttered around from
store to store in the early days in a Tri-Pacer.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Because I fly, I envy no one.

Yep there are countries whose Air Forces have fewer planes than Wal-Mart.

Old April 8th 05, 04:18 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

He also you used to proudly display "Made in America" on the walls of his
stores.

Those were gone before his body was cold in the grave...

Thing is, many American products were discontinued due to QUALITY issues
(returns seven times the average) not for COST. Further, many such products
are not even made in the US anymore.

ANECDOTE": Our neighbor owns/runs a boutique housewares store. Probably
three our four years ago, my wife was trying to buy a vase and noticed they
were all made in China. She asked if there were others (she was boycotting
China...still does more or less) and the lady said that she always had to
return 3/4ths of the shipments due to poor finish or other such issues, even
ones that cost four or five times as much a comparable ones from China.

In short, the US tried to compete on price instead of quality and wound up
losing on both scores.

Old April 8th 05, 04:20 PM
Matt Barrow

"john smith" wrote in message
John Galban wrote:
Good job Jay! I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart, but they will be a much
better airport neighbor than a housing development (a problem we have
at my airport). The fact that Wal-Mart also has the $$'s to allow

the
airport to bail itself out is also handy.

And, they will be frequent user of the airport.

How do you figure Wal-Mart will be a frequent user of the airport???

Sam Walton used to fly all over the place in his TriPacer.

Later he had a twin Cessna, a 340 I believe.