CFI oral intel

Old May 30th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
NW_Pilot

Default CFI oral intel

"Gezellig" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 May 2008 07:21:20 -0700, gatt wrote:

One of the folks around the hangar took his CFI practical last week. He
had his AGI so they threw out all of the Fundamentals of Instruction
stuff entirely during the oral.

A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and
trimmed at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what airspeed
will the aircraft strike the ground?

That's easy, gatt. I wouldn't know.

Or care.

That summs it upp....

Old May 30th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
NW_Pilot

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
gatt wrote:

A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and
trimmed at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what airspeed
will the aircraft strike the ground?"

Another was, "You're turning final and you enter a cross-control stall.
Is it better to be in a slip, or a skid?"

-c

These are reasonable questions.

The aircraft would attempt to regain and maintain the trim speed as it
descends. Whether or not it had the time to do that before ground impact
however would be dependent on the altitude remaining, so depending on the
altitude, the airspeed at impact might be short of the trim speed.

(This type of question is typical of FAA orals. They're looking for the
trim speed answer while completely neglecting the time and altitude
factors which to be accurate would have to be in the answer equation.

My advice to the person taking the oral would be to give the trim speed
answer, get the certificate, put it deep in the wallet and in your pocket,
then politely suggest to the fuzz that the altitude should be included in
the answer if not in the question itself :-)

A slipped cross control stall as relates to spin entry is FAR less
pro-spin than a skid entry.

--
Dudley Henriques

Also need to look at coprs position are you slumped over and placign fwd
control pressure on the yoke? is the auto pilot on? lots of questions....

Old May 30th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
NW_Pilot

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On May 29, 7:21 am, gatt wrote:
One of the folks around the hangar took his CFI practical last week. He
had his AGI so they threw out all of the Fundamentals of Instruction
stuff entirely during the oral.

Huh, that's not right. There is nothing in the PTS that says you get
to skip the FOI stuff just because you have an AGI. The only thing you
get to skip is showing your FOI exam results. I had my AGI and
probably spent 5 hours of my CFI oral on FOI stuff.

-Robert, CFII, AGI

FOI is my hangup right now....

Old May 30th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-29, Vaughn Simon wrote:
Those of you who have never broken the monotony of a x-country by exploring
the phugoid characteristics of your steed have missed a good opportunity to
learn something about your airplane. (Don't forget to see how it differs with
CG.) BTW: Some gliders have rather exciting phugoids.

Oh? Please enlighten me, since I'm going to ahve a sterling opportunity to
do so in the not very distant future.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old May 30th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student gatt wrote:
A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and
trimmed at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what airspeed
will the aircraft strike the ground?"

In addition to all the other factors discussed, your airspeed will be
slightly lower than what you had trimmed due to the weight of your soul
departing the aircraft.

OK, so I don't really believe that, but I'd love to see what the guy would
say if you told him that answer!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old May 30th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gezellig[_2_]

Dudley Henriques presented the following explanation :
A slipped cross control stall as relates to spin entry is FAR less pro-spin
than a skid entry.

Dudley, I don't understand why that is? Are you assuming 110 nauts?

Old May 30th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig[_2_]

Jim formulated on Thursday :
A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and
trimmed at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what airspeed
will the aircraft strike the ground?"

Another was, "You're turning final and you enter a cross-control stall.
Is it better to be in a slip, or a skid?"

-c

Wow. I'm glad I have not been asked the first question. I think I
would have given an answer different from that given by the more
experienced folks here.

On the chance the plane went into a spiral dive, which I understand
can happen, I would have thought the plane would attempt to maintain
its trim AOA, but not its trim airspeed. I would likely have said the
plane would strike the ground -- if it had the necessary altitude, as
others have pointed out -- at approximately its trim AOA but at an
airspeed that might be a lot higher than its trim airspeed -- if the
wings did not come off before that.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, I am comforted with the fact that we share a common
dumminess here. lol

Old May 30th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gezellig wrote:
Dudley Henriques presented the following explanation :
A slipped cross control stall as relates to spin entry is FAR less
pro-spin than a skid entry.

Dudley, I don't understand why that is? Are you assuming 110 nauts?

Not sure what you're asking as the 110 kts is connected to the other
question, not the cross controlled stall question as referenced above,
but taking a guess......if you check question number one about dying at
the controls, the trim speed given was 110 kts. :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old May 30th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gezellig[_2_]

Jim Stewart presented the following explanation :
gatt wrote:

One of the folks around the hangar took his CFI practical last week. He
had his AGI so they threw out all of the Fundamentals of Instruction stuff
entirely during the oral.

A question the examiner asked him: "You're flying cross-country and trimmed
at 110 knots. You die, and the engine quits. At what airspeed will the
aircraft strike the ground?"

Another was, "You're turning final and you enter a cross-control stall. Is
it better to be in a slip, or a skid?"

I'm wondering what the significance of posting
this question is. Is it because everyone should
know the answer or because on some level it is
nonsensical?

Can't speak for gatt but the I take it for both. There are nonsensical
questions that need to be prepaered for after all its about passing a
test to get to the real learning.

Old May 30th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
Another was, "You're turning final and you enter a cross-control
stall. Is it better to be in a slip, or a skid?"

I'm wondering what the significance of posting this question is.

They're aviation forums. Some people still actually like to discuss
aviation out here.

I didn't mean to come off as a smart-ass. As
I said, my instructor and I covered this well
before I soloed. I assumed that every soloed
student would know the answer, let alone a CFI
candidate.

I guess I was wrong.

I don't remember ever talking about this with my instructor. I seem to have
known the answer; just can't say where I got the information any more.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com