-Used Instruments & NOS Cleveland Parts!-

Old February 4th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default -Used Instruments & NOS Cleveland Parts!-

OK, now that I have your attention, I'm looking for a Cleveland 40-78
rim set w/disc in new or good condition, and an M&H CF480 O2 tank if
anyone has one of those laying around they don't need...

I have *some* monies, but also have the following NOS Cleveland parts
for trade/sale:
40-19 (older 5x5.00) wheel & disc, [.25" too wide for my fork so I
need the 40-78...] $150
extra disc for 40-19 $50
30-9 caliper w/linings but no torque plate $100
($250 for the Cleveland lot bundled...)

....and some assorted used instruments for sale/trade:

Borgelt B-100 w/57mm meter (works fine but is due for batt change)$300
Cambridge C-Nav w/2 80mm varios (one short one long, both old) $90
80mm PZL 10kt vario/flask (man. 1993, still shiny, has birth cert)
$80
LX-4000 w/57mm mech vario (latest version [11.4?], new GPS, factory
refirb Aug 08...) $1100
Bendix G-meter, 57mm (rebuilt by Keystone Inst 2005, fresh face) $150
Gauting Turn & Slip 57mm (4v, runs but needs cal) $75

If you have a 40-78 wheel to let go of, or are interested in any of
the instruments feel free to email/call.

-Paul Hanson

(510) 535-1946
Old February 4th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

OK, now that I have your attention, I'm looking for a Cleveland 40-78
rim set w/disc in new or good condition, and an M&H CF480 O2 tank if
anyone has one of those laying around they don't need...

I have *some* monies, but also have the following NOS Cleveland parts
for trade/sale:
40-19 (older 5x5.00) wheel & disc, [.25" too wide for my fork so I
need the 40-78...] $150
extra disc for 40-19 *$50
30-9 caliper w/linings but no torque plate *$100
($250 for the Cleveland lot bundled...)

...and some assorted used instruments for sale/trade:

Borgelt B-100 w/57mm dual meter (works fine but is due for batt change)$300
Cambridge C-Nav w/2 80mm *varios (one short one long, both old) * $90
80mm PZL *10kt vario/flask $80-SOLD
LX-4000 w/57mm mech vario (latest version [11.4?], new GPS, factory
refirb Aug 08...) $1100
Bendix G-meter, 57mm (rebuilt by Keystone Inst 2005, fresh face) *$150
Gauting Turn & Slip 57mm (4v, runs but needs cal) *$75

If you have a 40-78 wheel or a CF480 O2 tank to let go of, or are interested in buying any of
the instruments feel free to email/call. I will update this list as it changes.

-Paul Hanson
paul at ealgebrandproducts dot com
(510) 535-1946

Old February 5th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 3, 6:59*pm, sisu1a wrote:
...I'm looking for a Cleveland 40-78 rim set w/disc in new or good
condition...

I have a couple of old Clevelands at the shop, how would I identify a
40-78 by sight?

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 5th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

I have a couple of old Clevelands at the shop, how would I identify
40-78 by sight?

Thanks, Bob K.

Good question. It's a 5 x 5.00 Cleveland wheel that has a smooth,
clean looking exterior on the flanges of the rim that hold the tire
bead. Total width inc disc is 5.155" or so, outer rim face to outer
disc face.

The older style (40-19 & company) has a pattern of indentations on the
exterior of the flange, making them look like classic aircraft wheels.
Both styles are held together with 3 bolts and share the same seals/
bearings...Total width on 40-19 is around 5.3"w/disc (just too wide
for my fork : (

BTW, my 40-19 is the unused 1/2 from a set. The other one went on an
HP-11 long ago...

Thanks!
-Paul
Old February 5th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Paul,

You've probably already thought of this, but is there any reason you
can't just take your 40-19 wheel halves to a machine shop and have
them carve the center seam until the width is as you require and then
redrill the valve stem hole? I could do that on my 9x20 any Monday
through Wednesday evening in Cupertino. Or if you want it blessed by a
racing wheel and brake firm you could probably have Mike Morse at
Vintage Brake do that for you.

I don't know of any HP-11 with Cleveland brakes, that'd be a really
tight fit. The HP-11 gear well is sized for the obsolete 13" dia
13-500x4 industrial tire with band-on-tire brake and won't really take
the 14.25" 500x5 without some heroics. The one HP-11 I saw with a
500x5 (N1954 owned by the late Ray Duncan, later torn up by a tornado
and I don't know where it ended up) had a Tost 5" wheel and brake.
These days most HP-11 operators use either cheap 400x4 tires with
suboptimal ground clearance or expensive 500x4 aircraft tires (about
$200 ea these days) used mostly on Ercoupe nosewheels and AT-6 Texan
tailwheels. The expense of the latter makes it painful to use the band
brake that tends to wear a stripe down the center of the tire on heavy
braking.

I think that the ship you refer to might actually be an HP-14 or
later; starting with the HP-14 Dick designed everything around 500x5
tires with a variety of MATCO (originally Roshenan) and later
Cleveland wheel and brake components. The HP-14 gear is beefier and
more robust than that of HP-11, and appears with only minor variations
on all subsequent HPs and also on my ship.

For some HP-14 kits Fred Roshenan supplied a slick little drum brake
similar to the Tost 5" drum unit, except with wider and larger
diameter contact area, hydraulic actuation, and Bendix pistons and
seals that you could get from any NAPA car parts store. Fred also sold
a neat package of wheels and brakes for Alfred Scott's Falco kits. He
basically gave away the store making stuff like that for homebuilders.
Of course, that ended when MATCO bought him out and started running it
like a real business.

Thanks again, Bob K.

Old February 6th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Bob,

You have made me curious. Here at the Nampa, ID airport there is an HP-11,
HP-16T and my HP-14. (We need a RS-15 and a airworthy HP-18 to complete our
collection.)

Several years ago I replaced the badly corroded drum brake wheel on my HP-14
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N990/N990.html) with a 500 x 5
disc brake wheel. (Matco W51-1.25 ) This winter I replaced the hard rubber
tail wheel with a Matco 6" pneumatic wheel.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...eel/index.html)

I know Brian Case has a 500 x 5 disk brake (even though I don't remember the
brand) on his HP-16T. (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-16/N16VP.html)
Now I am wondering what size wheel is on Jan Zatloukal's HP-11.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-11/N631H/N631H.htm)

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old February 7th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 5, 9:27*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Paul,

You've probably already thought of this, but is there any reason you
can't just take your 40-19 wheel halves to a machine shop and have
them carve the center seam until the width is as you require and then
redrill the valve stem hole?

I got curious about this, so I hunted up an old 40-19 in my shop and
answered my own question. There is a very good reason that my proposed
solution wouldn't work, and it is abundantly clear once you split the
wheel halves apart.

The 40-19, unlike other similar wheels I've worked on, has its shear
web right at the plane of symmetry where the two halves join. Trying
to face off the wheel there would machine off that web, leaving you
with almost no material joining the rim and the bearing hub.

I did find an unlabeled 500x5 wheel with the same width as the 40-19
that has the shear web substantially outboard of the plan of symmetry,
such that it would be amenable to the method of narrowing I described
earlier. Like the 40-19, the halves are joined by a pattern of three
bolts. However, the bolt circle is smaller than that of the 40-19, so
it would not be practical to try to narrow that wheel and then adapt
it to the 40-19's disk and caliper arrangement.

Thanks, Bob K.