air battles over normandy?

Old January 19th 04, 01:05 AM
old hoodoo

Default air battles over normandy?

I have heard mention of air battles over normandy--or german attempts to attack the normandy beaches- after D-day but I have never read anything on the subject. The only thing mentioned is the two sorties by Fw-190's on D-Day. Did the Germans belatedly attempt to attack the normandy beaches and the supply ships in any number on any of the D+ days and what were the results. I assume heavy german losses with little result.

al

Old January 19th 04, 04:33 AM
Geoffrey Sinclair

old hoodoo wrote in message ...
I have heard mention of air battles over normandy--or german attempts to
attack the normandy beaches- after D-day but I have never read anything
on the subject. The only thing mentioned is the two sorties by Fw-190's on
D-Day.

The Fw190 story made it to the book "The Longest Day", which was the
basis for the movie.

Did the Germans belatedly attempt to attack the normandy
beaches and the supply ships in any number on any of the D+ days and
what were the results. I assume heavy german losses with little result.

Luftflotte 3 launched something less than 100 sorties on D-day, 70
by single engined fighters, and a further 175 sorties that night, 39
aircraft lost.

On the night of the 7th/8th around 100 sorties, on the 8th around 500
day sorties, 400 by single engined fighters, 68 aircraft lost on the 8th.

By the end of the first week 362 aircraft lost, in the second week, 232
aircraft lost.

The main effect the Luftwaffe has was dropping mines offshore,
in particular the oyster or pressure mines, they did not sink many
ships but they made life difficult. Overall high casualties for minimal
results.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.

Old January 19th 04, 11:26 AM
Cub Driver

There were a few German fighters over the beaches, but not many. I
think it's probably safe to say that more American aircraft were shot
down by friendly fire on June 6 than by the Luftwaffe in the air.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 19th 04, 04:09 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: air battles over normandy?
From: "Geoffrey Sinclair"
Date: 1/18/04 8:33 PM Pacific Standard Time
old hoodoo wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't remember seeing a single luftwaffe plane over Normandy on D-Day.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old January 19th 04, 08:55 PM
Kevin Brooks

From: "Geoffrey Sinclair"
Date: 1/18/04 8:33 PM Pacific Standard Time
old hoodoo wrote in message ...
[...]

You probably were not there the whole day. The Air Force Association
magazine has credited the Luftwaffe with 200 sorties flown to the invasion
area on D-Day (
www.afa.org/magazine/sept2002/0902bogus.pdf ); other sources
give numbers of between fifty and 300. They were not very effective sorties,
but yes, they did fly.

Brooks

Arthur Kramer

Old January 19th 04, 11:02 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 1/19/04 12:55 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Geoffrey Sinclair"

Date: 1/18/04 8:33 PM Pacific Standard Time
old hoodoo wrote in message ...
[...]

Considering how effective they were they should have saved the gas.

Old January 22nd 04, 03:17 AM
Geoffrey Sinclair

ArtKramr wrote in message ...

I don't remember seeing a single luftwaffe plane over Normandy on D-Day.

Which was the experience of most of the allied airmen on that day. The
allied air forces flew something like 14,000 sorties, losing 127 aircraft.

I have RAF fighter loss and USAAF fighter kill claims for 6 June.

The RAF fighter units report losing 5 aircraft to enemy fighters and
1 to an enemy bomber. No idea of kill claims

The USAAF fighter pilots were awarded 27.5 kills.

The 9th Air Force had 22 aircraft MIA, from 3,342 sorties despatched.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.