Actual Rope Break

Old June 4th 14, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Actual Rope Break

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:36:13 AM UTC-6, Kevin Christner wrote:
This one is easy. A turn to final is a normal operating procedure not an emergency like a rope break recovery. There's no justification for practicing low turns to final.

Here I think I would disagree with you. In a number of land out situations (small fields) turning final at lower than 200ft would be preferable as it would increase the chance of safely landing in the field.

I don't follow you. How does a low turn increase the chance of landing safely? Wouldn't a standard sized pattern with a higher turn followed by a longer final approach work as well?

Rope Break! Waveguru Soaring 9 August 28th 12 03:17 AM
Rope Break Walt Connelly Soaring 4 April 12th 11 09:04 PM
Explanation Required: ATA (actual time of arr) and ATD (actual timeof dep) SVCitian General Aviation 2 September 19th 10 10:27 PM
Actual Autos Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 3 April 26th 07 04:22 AM
IR without actual IMC Iain Wilson Instrument Flight Rules 26 October 13th 03 11:26 PM