A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Actual Rope Break

Old June 4th 14, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D
external usenet poster

Default Actual Rope Break

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:36:13 AM UTC-6, Kevin Christner wrote:
This one is easy. A turn to final is a normal operating procedure not an emergency like a rope break recovery. There's no justification for practicing low turns to final.

Here I think I would disagree with you. In a number of land out situations (small fields) turning final at lower than 200ft would be preferable as it would increase the chance of safely landing in the field.

I don't follow you. How does a low turn increase the chance of landing safely? Wouldn't a standard sized pattern with a higher turn followed by a longer final approach work as well?