Things to put in the "remarks" section of the flight plan

Old June 17th 05, 01:15 AM
Newps

Gary Drescher wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

Gary Drescher wrote:

Oh, ok. Is 'priority' a technical term for ATC? In ordinary language,
minimizing delays (to a greater extent than for ordinary flights) would
be a form of priority (though perhaps not as high as the priority
afforded to some other flights).

Angel Flight means nothing to ATC, most controllers don't even know what
it is. And why would you put it in the remarks and not just use the three
letter ID allocated to Angel Flight(NGF)?

Uh, I wouldn't. That's why I was asking specifically about the use of the
Angel Flight call sign (which is obviously supposed to mean something to
ATC--they don't think it's a type of airplane, do they?).

ATC would most likely ignore the remark Angel Flight. If you used the
three letter ID ATC would still ignore it other than having to look up
just what in the hell "NGF" stands for. There's a gazillion three
letter ID's that the FAA has authorized, some sound similar to angel
flight. ATC will see it as just another name.
Old June 17th 05, 01:21 AM
Gary Drescher

"Newps" wrote in message
If you used the three letter ID ATC would still ignore it other than
having to look up just what in the hell "NGF" stands for. There's a
gazillion three letter ID's that the FAA has authorized, some sound
similar to angel flight. ATC will see it as just another name.

We're told to say "Angel Flight 123", not "November Golf Foxtrot 123". Is
that not what ATC expects to hear?

--Gary

Old June 17th 05, 02:47 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message
m...

Then on what basis to you make the following statement?

Same basis as usual, simple logic.

FAA Order 7110.65 requires controllers to provide services on a "first come,
first served" basis, as circumstances permit, except for a few exceptions
where certain operators are given priority over others. Angel Flight is NOT
one of those exceptions. So if a controller gives a flight priority
handling based on an Angel Flight call sign he is acting contrary to FAA
Order
7110.65.

And on that
same basis, how do you answer my subsequent question relating to otherwise
equal consideration?

If two otherwise equal aircraft are a dead ass tie, that is, same speed,
same time over a fix, similar distances to go to their destinations, no
other aircraft to be concerned about, etc., etc., etc., then at least one of
them must be turned or it's altitude changed to ensure separation. If
neither of them is afforded operational priority by FAAO 7110.65 the
decision of which to move is completely arbitrary. It could be decided by a
coin toss. If one of the aircraft in that situation is an Angel Flight, I'd
move the other one and leave the coin in my pocket.

That's not the same as affording an aircraft, such as a Lifeguard,
operational priority over other aircraft. We don't use the "first come,
first served" rule with a Lifeguard or other aircraft that are afforded
operational priority. For example, if another aircraft is naturally ahead
of a Lifeguard for an IAP but it's approach would delay the Lifeguard, the
other aircraft is moved and the Lifeguard goes first.

Old June 17th 05, 02:56 PM
Dave Butler

Newps wrote:

Angel Flight means nothing to ATC, most controllers don't even know what
it is. And why would you put it in the remarks and not just use the
three letter ID allocated to Angel Flight(NGF)?

Angel Flight Mid Atlantic instructs its pilots to use the Angel Flight call sign
and file a flight plan (N1701D becomes NGF01D and the call sign is "Angel Flight
Zero One Delta) and to put the actual registration number into the remarks as
follows:

N1701D ANGEL FLIGHT MID ATLANTIC

I don't have any idea what, if anything, it means to ATC. I do it.

I think I may have been given some consideration in choice of altitudes for
example, because of the AF call sign. Can't prove it, though.

Dave
Old June 17th 05, 03:03 PM
Jose

Thanks Steven, that explains it to me.

Getting ahead in a dead ass tie is worth something, maybe worth
something in the remarks section. Are there many dead ass ties in your
sector?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain."
Old June 17th 05, 04:47 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jose" wrote in message

Thanks Steven, that explains it to me.

Getting ahead in a dead ass tie is worth something, maybe worth something
in the remarks section.

Angel Flight is properly designated by filing and use of the Angel Flight
call sign.

Are there many dead ass ties in your sector?

Hell no, there aren't that many airplanes in my sector.

Old June 17th 05, 08:50 PM
Marty Shapiro

Dave Butler wrote in news:1119016948.514089@sj-nntpcache-3:

Newps wrote:

Angel Flight means nothing to ATC, most controllers don't even know
what it is. And why would you put it in the remarks and not just use
the three letter ID allocated to Angel Flight(NGF)?

Angel Flight Mid Atlantic instructs its pilots to use the Angel Flight
call sign and file a flight plan (N1701D becomes NGF01D and the call
sign is "Angel Flight Zero One Delta) and to put the actual
registration number into the remarks as follows:

N1701D ANGEL FLIGHT MID ATLANTIC

I don't have any idea what, if anything, it means to ATC. I do it.

I think I may have been given some consideration in choice of
altitudes for example, because of the AF call sign. Can't prove it,
though.

Dave

Many times I've received flight following with the Angel Flight call
sign while everyone else was being told "unable".

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)