OT? write-offs for business commute

Old January 14th 04, 09:55 PM
Chad Munroe

Default OT? write-offs for business commute

I'm in the process of taking flying lessons and working toward my
license. Does anyone in this NG fly their private plane for a
business commute? If so, is it possible to get tax deductions for
travel expenses? I'm just thinking ahead.
Out of curiosity, how many here have an accountant for taxes, and
how many file on their own? I've used an accountant for years, but
most people I know do it online now. I'm trying to decide if I
should switch this year.

Warm wishes,
Chad Munroe
remove delete to email
Old January 14th 04, 10:09 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Chad Munroe wrote:

I'm in the process of taking flying lessons and working toward my
license. Does anyone in this NG fly their private plane for a
business commute?

The company I work for specifically prohibits piloting aircraft on
company business. I got the notification a corporate-wide email a
few months after I got my ppl. Made me wonder how many people at
the company it was relevant to. Too bad.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 14th 04, 11:23 PM
Blanche

As a pilot for Angel Flight West, I can deduct actual expenses for
each trip. Goes on Schedule A - Donations since AFW is 501(c)3.

As for business - yes, since I'm self-employed right now so any
travel for business purposes only needs to be approved by me.

Aviation Consumer had a major article a couple months ago about
this.

Old January 15th 04, 12:05 AM
Judah

There was also an article that talked about the fact that there is a risk
of being in violation of FAR Part 91 if you do this and the plane is owned
by a company that does nothing else except own the plane...

Blanche wrote in news:1074122626.643486
@irys.nyx.net:

Old January 15th 04, 02:08 AM
Mike Rapoport

If you are really talking about commuting then it is not deductible.
Commuting is travel from your home to your place of work and is not a
"business expense". Business travel (or any other expense) is deductible to
the extent that it is an "ordinary and nessesary" business expense.

Mike
MU-2

Old January 15th 04, 02:25 AM
C J Campbell

As pointed out by others, commuting is not deductible. You are able to
deduct the actual costs of business travel, including depreciation of your
aircraft.

There are a lot of tax incentives right now for purchasing an aircraft for
business purposes. You should run these by your tax professional.

I don't like people doing their own taxes. They should come to me and pay me
my old rate of $300 per hour. But then, I have retired. So maybe I don't
care after all.

Old January 15th 04, 05:54 PM
William W. Plummer

"Chad Munroe" wrote in message

I'm in the process of taking flying lessons and working toward my
license. Does anyone in this NG fly their private plane for a
business commute? If so, is it possible to get tax deductions for
travel expenses? I'm just thinking ahead.
Out of curiosity, how many here have an accountant for taxes, and
how many file on their own? I've used an accountant for years, but
most people I know do it online now. I'm trying to decide if I
should switch this year.

Commuting is not deductible. However, on US Government contracts, travel is
reimbursed at a published rate, NOT TO EXCEED the customary commercial
travel rates. See www.dtic.mil under "personal aircraft use". I believe
the rate is $0.965 per mile (SM or NM?). But SWAir will get to to FL from
Bonston for $79.

Once again we discover that flying cannot be justified. You have to do it
because you really like it. Flying a small plane is an end in its own.

Old January 15th 04, 11:17 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tinker" wrote in message ...
This is becuase of the liability issue. If you're flying on company
business and crash, a smart lawyer could go after your employer for
big bucks.

The same is true if you drive or even walk on business.