Garmin iQue 3600a or Lowrance 2000c

Old February 4th 05, 07:53 PM
Juan Jimenez

Default Garmin iQue 3600a or Lowrance 2000c

x-no-archive: yes

If you own a Garmin iQue 3600a (not the plain 3600) or a Lowrance 2000c, I'd
like to hear your opinion and comments on these units... good, bad or
neutral.

email me at

Old February 4th 05, 08:25 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Juan Jimenez wrote:
x-no-archive: yes

If you own a Garmin iQue 3600a (not the plain 3600) or a Lowrance 2000c, I'd
like to hear your opinion and comments on these units... good, bad or
neutral.

email me at

I don't have either yet, but...

The Garmin has internal rechargable batteries. After several e-mail
exchanges with Garmin, it appears they have an AC charger and a 12V
charger cable; no 24V cable now or planned.

The Lowrance runs off 4 AA batteries or 5V to 35V via a provided adapter
cable.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old February 5th 05, 12:04 AM
Daniel L. Lieberman

The Garmin 12v charger cable can be plugged into the lighter socket in a
higher voltage system since, according to Garmin it has a built-in voltage
regulator.

I just received my 3600A and am pleased with it but haven't flown with it
yet. The screen is readable. I picked Garmin because of the terrain
awareness feature and the useabiity as a PDA.

Old February 5th 05, 12:22 AM

In rec.aviation.owning Daniel L. Lieberman wrote:
The Garmin 12v charger cable can be plugged into the lighter socket in a
higher voltage system since, according to Garmin it has a built-in voltage
regulator.

I just received my 3600A and am pleased with it but haven't flown with it
yet. The screen is readable. I picked Garmin because of the terrain
awareness feature and the useabiity as a PDA.

Those are the same reasons I'm interested in the iQue 3600a.

Where did you get the information the lighter cable works on 24V?

In my e-mail exchange with Garmin tech support, the system was 12V only
but I've seen tech support people blow it before.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old February 5th 05, 04:39 AM
Juan Jimenez

The power plug I got with the unit's yoke mount is 12-28v, according to the
sheet of paper that came with it to explain how to mount it.

Juan

Old February 5th 05, 04:40 AM
Juan Jimenez

What do you think of the display's readability in full sunlight? Like many
Palm units, the display is very reflective. The Lowrance doesn't have that
problem, apparently the display has some sort of micro-beveling that reduces
glare.

Juan

Old February 7th 05, 04:03 AM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Juan,
I put one of the protective sheets on the screen. I think that will solve
reflective problems.
Daniel

Old February 7th 05, 12:55 PM
Juan Jimenez

chuckle I forgot I have some of those here for my Palm IIIxe. I'll try
that, thanks for reminding me!

I did fly both of them this weekend here in the Caribbean. I was very
impressed with the 3600a.