Commercial rating: complex aircraft required aircraft for practical test?

Old November 21st 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Commercial rating: complex aircraft required aircraft for practical test?

So after getting my instrument rating in my COZY last April, I'm
starting to think about getting my commercial rating. I realize that
per FAR 61.129 (a)(3)(ii) I need to have 10 hours in a complex aircraft
(flaps, retracts, CS prop), which my COZY doesn't have, so I'll have to
take that 10 hours of lessons in another aircraft. That's fine - won't
hurt me to do that, that's for sure. AFAICT, I've got all the other
requirements met, for hours, cross-countries, etc., and I'll have to
take the written, of course.

An instructor told me yesterday that I would have to take the practical
test in a complex aircraft (which the COZY isn't), but for the life of
me, I can't find that requirement anywhere in the FAR's. Can someone
out there point me to the FAR that requires a complex aircraft be used
for the Commercial rating practical test? Or point me to where that's
NOT required, and this instructor is mistaken?

Thanks.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/

Old November 21st 05, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:

[...]

Why not double up and get a multi-engine rating as part of your complex
aircraft requirements.

Old November 21st 05, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote:

[...]

I was told you only have to take the portions that apply to the complex
part of the test in a complex aircraft.
Old November 21st 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Most folks around here rent an Arrow for the complex portion (To&L) then do
the rest of the flying maneuvers in their plane or a cheaper 150/172.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old November 21st 05, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In order to demonstrate all items in the PTS you will need a complex
plane for the landings. You can use two different planes for the flight
part if the DE is ok with it. Another option would be to get your
Commercial Multi first. Adding a SE to your ME commercial ticket only
requires the maneuvers and can be done in a Cessna 150.

-Robert, CFI

Old November 21st 05, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Commercial Multi first. Adding a SE to your ME commercial ticket only
requires the maneuvers and can be done in a Cessna 150.

or a Citabria 7ECA :-))

--Sylvain
Old November 21st 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This is NOT true. All the take offs. landings, and emergency approach
and landing must be done again, in a single engine aircraft, though it
need not be in a complex. Look at the rating task table in the PTS
for additional class ratings.

Old November 21st 05, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AFAICT, I've got all the other
requirements met, for hours, cross-countries, etc., and I'll have to take
the written, of course.

Are you implying that you have met the commercial xc requirements previously
before beginning training for the commercial? If so, you may want to read
the regulations carefully.

Watson

Old November 21st 05, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

In the case of the Commercial Airplane Practical Test, you can find
the requirement on page 7, under "Aircraft and Equipment Required for
the Practical Test".....

Thanks!

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/

Old November 21st 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Watson wrote:

If so, you may want to read
the regulations carefully.

Right. There are a couple of 100 mile duals in there that most people
wouldn't have w/o deliberate commercial intent.

- Andrew