Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates

Old November 21st 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Garmin 430 Jeppesen Skybound updates

Is it possible to purchase a one-time update to the 430 database using the
Skybound adapter?

I don't fly enough IFR to require a current database year round and I'd like
to just update it during certain times during the year.

When I check their webpage all I can find is a one time mail in option using
the classic option, but the only skybound option is an annual subscription
which I don't really need. Why don't they have a one time deal like garmin
does on their webpage?

Thanks.

Old November 21st 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"John Doe" wrote in message
news:qGbgf.14493$om5.386@dukeread04... Is it possible to purchase a
one-time update to the 430 database using the
Skybound adapter?

You have to call Jeppesen, they will sell you a one time update. It is
irritating that they won't sell you one over the web.
Gary

Old November 21st 05, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:
Is it possible to purchase a one-time update to the 430 database using the
Skybound adapter?

I don't fly enough IFR to require a current database year round and I'd like
to just update it during certain times during the year.

When I check their webpage all I can find is a one time mail in option using
the classic option, but the only skybound option is an annual subscription
which I don't really need. Why don't they have a one time deal like garmin
does on their webpage?

Thanks.

Why not just send your card to someone who does it every month and they
can send you theirs that just expired.
Old November 21st 05, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"BillJ" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:
Is it possible to purchase a one-time update to the 430 database using
the Skybound adapter?

I don't fly enough IFR to require a current database year round and I'd
like to just update it during certain times during the year.

When I check their webpage all I can find is a one time mail in option
using the classic option, but the only skybound option is an annual
subscription which I don't really need. Why don't they have a one time
deal like garmin does on their webpage?

Thanks.

Why not just send your card to someone who does it every month and they
can send you theirs that just expired.

That doesn't really solve my problem.

I don't normally fly IMC so I don't really need to pay for continue updates
to be IFR legal with my Garmin 430. I can use an outdated database and just
use it as a backup to VFR navigation.

On the rare occasion that I do need to fly IFR with legal /G I would like to
be able to download the database update on the web, update my 430 and be
able to fly IFR when needed.

I did this to some extent with my handheld 196 off the garmin webpage. If I
was just doing local flying, I didn't really need to keep the database up to
date. If I was going to fly cross country, it was easy for me to update the
database the night prior to the flight.

Old November 21st 05, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Worse, it REALLY is an ANNUAL subscription... You have to use all
thirteen copies in 12 months.

jmk

Old November 21st 05, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"jmk" wrote in message
oups.com...
Worse, it REALLY is an ANNUAL subscription... You have to use all
thirteen copies in 12 months.

jmk

Wow, what a scam. They charge $105 for just one update and then force you
to pay $315 for an entire year. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the
data.

Old November 25th 05, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Wow, what a scam. They charge $105 for just one update and then force you
to pay $315 for an entire year. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the data.

Scam... Yes. Take a look again... They just jacked up their prices by a
whopper. Those greedy b....... Thats what monopoly does. Isn't there
somebody else out there to offer competition?

Old November 25th 05, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Quite honestly, I do not understand why the updates are so expensive.
Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but I thought that all of the
navigation data used
was available for free from the FAA in electronic format ?
And, Jeppesen reformat that data and sell it directly or via Garmin to us
users ?

If I was correct, then the only cost to Jeppesen is the cost of the software
to automatically
reformat the nav data and a run for each new cycle.

How far away am I from the real facts ???

--
Roy
N5804F Piper Archer

"I have had some bad landings but I have never missed the runway"

ups.com...

Old November 25th 05, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"Roy Page" wrote

If I was correct, then the only cost to Jeppesen is the cost of the

software
to automatically
reformat the nav data and a run for each new cycle.

How far away am I from the real facts ???

How far from the facts does not enter in.

How much do you pay for Cadillac parts? Double what they are worth.

How much do you pay for stuff that has boat, or marine on the name? Triple
what they are worth.

How much do you pay for stuff that has airplane or aviation in the name?
Six times what they are worth.

You have to pay that amount, because you have no other choice, and the
market will bear the price. Period.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 28th 05, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"abripl" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow, what a scam. They charge $105 for just one update and then force
you
to pay $315 for an entire year. Must be nice to have a monopoly on the
data.

Scam... Yes. Take a look again... They just jacked up their prices by a
whopper. Those greedy b....... Thats what monopoly does. Isn't there
somebody else out there to offer competition?

Looks like the same prices to me, I just checked again.