Blakey explains

Old December 23rd 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steve

Default Blakey explains

From today's issue of Parade 'magazine' (in the Sunday paper):

Q: What has gone wrong with air travel?

A: (from Marion Blakey) We're in the safest period in aviation
history, but some of our current system is built on World War II
technology. **Planes must fly on specific highways in the sky to
maintain contact with the ground.** It costs time and fuel and is
inefficient.
[emphasis added]

Old December 23rd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

She's safely blaming the politically-correct cause and not the real
culprits. Over-scheduled departures, ground holds due to weather on the
other side of the country, etc.

--

Scott

Growing corn to make ethanol to fuel a car is like heating your house by
burning money in your fireplace. Yes, it can be done but it makes no
economic sense.
"Steve" wrote in message
From today's issue of Parade 'magazine' (in the Sunday paper):

Q: What has gone wrong with air travel?

A: (from Marion Blakey) We're in the safest period in aviation

Old December 23rd 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
WolfRat

tscottme wrote:
She's safely blaming the politically-correct cause and not the real
culprits. Over-scheduled departures, ground holds due to weather on the
other side of the country, etc.

Filling the FAA with incompetent minorities and women with
no clue(Including dip **** Blakey) is the reason the FAA is
so ****ed up.

Not Politically Correct
Old December 24th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Also, the WWII labor intensive technology is what employs the union labor.
There have been rational proposals for free flight, monitored by computers,
with many improved safety and reduced labor.

. ..

Old December 24th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steve

(ignoring the ranters)

The point was:

"Planes must fly on specific highways in the sky to maintain contact
with the ground."

as an explaination of current IFR procedures.

- Steve

Old December 24th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Steve wrote:
(ignoring the ranters)

The point was:

"Planes must fly on specific highways in the sky to maintain contact
with the ground."

as an explaination of current IFR procedures.

- Steve

**** poor explanation of IFR procedures. I presume she meant ATC by
"ground." But, I am not sure of that, either.

So, if that is what she meant, then does that mean if I do direct, my
radios short out?

She is totally inept.
Old December 24th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

tscottme wrote:

She's safely blaming the politically-correct cause and not the real
culprits. Over-scheduled departures, ground holds due to weather on the
other side of the country, etc.

Lack of runways, lack of proper runway configuration due to politics and
revamping (again and again) of lighted-airway-days airports.

If every major airport was like Denver, we would have a lot less
problems. Obviously, that is an unobtainable ideal, but we could do a
whole lot better than we are doing.
Old December 24th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

**** poor explanation of IFR procedures. I presume she meant ATC by
"ground." But, I am not sure of that, either.

So, if that is what she meant, then does that mean if I do direct, my
radios short out?

She is totally inept.

Hey, give her a break. She didn't enter the aviation industry until she
became FAA administrator.

Old December 24th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Lack of runways, lack of proper runway configuration due to politics and
revamping (again and again) of lighted-airway-days airports.

If every major airport was like Denver, we would have a lot less problems.
Obviously, that is an unobtainable ideal, but we could do a whole lot
better than we are doing.

And all of that, and more, was ascertained at US government expense almost
six decades ago.

Old December 24th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Lee[_2_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Lack of runways, lack of proper runway configuration due to politics and
revamping (again and again) of lighted-airway-days airports.

If every major airport was like Denver, we would have a lot less problems.
Obviously, that is an unobtainable ideal, but we could do a whole lot
better than we are doing.

And all of that, and more, was ascertained at US government expense almost
six decades ago.

So why all this Next Gen BS as a supposed end to flight delays? ADS-B
Out will cost GA owners beaucoup and not benefit them and in my
opinion will have little benefit to commercial ops.

Ron Lee