New Panel Help

Old October 20th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Panel Help

Hello All,
I am returning to the sport after a 30 year hiatus. I have recently purchased an SHK1, which I am refinishing/restoring. My goal is to use this ship to earn FAI badges, not to fly competitively. Given this information, and a limited budget, I am looking for opinions regarding instruments, GPS, Navigation and logger choices as well as their placement on the panel. The ship came with three mechanical variometers, a sage and two winters, an altimeter and an airspeed indicator. What would a good panel look like and comprise?
Thanks for any help.
Bill
Old October 21st 15, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Hello Bill,

Here are a couple of options that you can consider.

The LX Nav S7 and Nano or the LX Eos.

The Eos vario has built in GPS with IGC flight recorder and basic Navigation on a small screen as well as back up battery and built-in Bluetooth to connect to an Android phone running XC Soar, Iphone with Iglide, or Oudie.
http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/...os-57-mm-vario

The S7 vario and Nano combination give you IGC flight recorder and connectivity to your navigation package of choice as suggested above.
http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/lx-nav/v7-vario

There is a sale on at this point for the S7/Nano packages
http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/home

Another option is to look for something like a used Cambridge 302 that will be much cheaper and give you many of the same features.

Old October 21st 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

"Another option is to look for something like a used Cambridge 302 that
will be much cheaper and give you many of the same features."

Except for the Bluetooth connectivity. You would either have to build
or buy a serial to Bluetooth converter to use the CAI-302 to interface
to a PDA. I used such a setup for over 3 years and was very happy with it.

Dan - 5J

Old October 21st 15, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 10:08:37 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
"Another option is to look for something like a used Cambridge 302
that will be much cheaper and give you many of the same features."

Except for the Bluetooth connectivity.* You would either have to
build or buy a serial to Bluetooth converter to use the CAI-302 to
interface to a PDA.* I used such a setup for over 3 years and was
very happy with it.

Dan - 5J

Can the 302 be hard wired to a PDA?
Old October 21st 15, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That depends on the PDA. Some may accept a direct connection but the
output of the 302 is RS-232 in the input to the PDA is generally USB.
You'll need a level converter. The Dell Streak 5 that I use requires
some interface converter. I use a K6BT serial to bluetooth converter
(it worked on my 302 and, with a different cable it now works with my
ClearNav vario). I know someone else who has a wired connection to his
Streak using a IOIO device. I understand you can buy them complete or
buy the parts and build your own. Lately I've seen very inexpensive
serial to Bluetooth devices. Here's an example
http://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM%C2%AE-Arduino-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transceiver/dp/B0093XAV4U.

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 21st 15, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

I posted this some time ago, but it may be helpful.

I recently converted to a Dell Streak 5 Android device and I used a
RS232/Bluetooth adapter from usconverters.com ($51 with shipping) to
connect to the CAI 302. I built a cable to connect the adapter, as
both the 302 and the adapter had the same plug gender. It was no big
deal, even for an electron challenged guy like me. It was only four
wires, and I was able to power the Bluetooth adapter (pin 9) from the
302 power output on either pin 6 or pin 8. So far it works great. I
needed to get some help from a couple of people (Mike C & Mike A) to
get everything up and running, but I am very happy with it so far. I
also have to say that I am very impressed with the screen brightness
of the Dell Streak 5 and the power of XC Soar. Total cost for the
package was under $300. I am seeing the Streak 5 on ebay for around
$200.

Battery life is adequate, even at full brightness but I learned that
the Streak should be set to "Airplane Mode" so that the cell
searching
doesn't draw power. I flew 4.5 hours the other day and the battery
still showed 46%. Just in case, I installed a 12v to 5v USB plug
(soldered two wires to a cigarette lighter charge adapter from
Duracell) in my panel. Pretty cool alternative to systems costing
hundreds or thousands more. I will be comparing screen brightness to
the upgraded Oudie soon. The Craggy Aero Ultimate and ClearNav are
much better, but pretty expensive.

I am also able to download flight logs from the 302 and upload to the
OLC with a WiFi connection. Definitely a big improvement over my old
Compaq 1530 and GlideNav II, but there still needs to be a utility
app
for the Android to replace the Cambridge Utility 257. You can still
use a laptop if necessary, but an Android app would be better.

Old October 22nd 15, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TND

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 9:51:47 AM UTC+11, Mark628CA wrote:
[...]

I have an LXNAV V7 vario with LXNAV Bluetooth dongle talking to my Dell Streak running XCSoar. That leaves the Dell Streak charge port free, which I connect to a 6 inch square USB-output solar panel ($20 on EBay).

The Streak has great sunlight visibility. The V7 is an excellent vario. I really like this setup.

I dropped and broke my original Streak. When I bought another one second hand it came with the early, 1.6, Android version. I couldn't get the Bluetooth on that to work with the V7. After much internet research I managed to hack the Streak and upgrade to v2.1 Android. That was a pain in the arse though, so if you're shopping for a Streak I recommend making sure it's got at least 2.1 (some have 2.2) when you buy it.

--

------------------------------
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
Old October 22nd 15, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 5:57:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello All,
I am returning to the sport after a 30 year hiatus. I have recently purchased an SHK1, which I am refinishing/restoring. My goal is to use this ship to earn FAI badges, not to fly competitively. Given this information, and a limited budget, I am looking for opinions regarding instruments, GPS, Navigation and logger choices as well as their placement on the panel. The ship came with three mechanical variometers, a sage and two winters, an altimeter and an airspeed indicator. What would a good panel look like and comprise?
Thanks for any help.
Bill

I have a dell streak which I am planning on using, but am enough of a noob to have no idea what else I need. To fly badge flights I assume I need some type of gps and some way of saving data? Is that what a "volkslogger" is?
Old October 22nd 15, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

A volkslogger is an IGC approved recorder, but so is the Cambridge 302, so connecting your Streak to a 302 gives you the recorder needed for badge flights and the data that the Streak can use for navigation and wind, etc.
Old October 22nd 15, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

PowerFLARM provides GPS and logging
in addition to traffic.

One of our members runs Top Hat, an
XCSoar variant, on a monochrome Kindle
which is nicely visible.

PowerFLARM, V7 and whichever flight
computer you choose can be connected
with some good synergy.

20B Panel jcarlyle Soaring 21 April 1st 09 10:57 PM
IFR PANEL Flyhighdave Home Built 4 January 18th 05 05:24 AM
IFR PANEL Flyhighdave Home Built 4 January 17th 05 08:15 PM
Panel restoration Roger Halstead Restoration 0 September 3rd 04 05:46 AM
182 panel Jim Owning 2 August 2nd 03 09:06 PM