YAGQ (Yet Another Gyro Query)

Old August 13th 03, 03:50 PM

Default YAGQ (Yet Another Gyro Query)

It looks like the AI on my Cherokee finally bought the farm. My
friend who just flew it on a cross-country said it laid over and died on
the way.

So, the question is, used, overhauled, or new? Any thoughts on
this? Brands to get/not get? I'm leaning away from overhauling the gyro,
since I don't know how long it's been alive. I'm pretty sure it's old and
hasn't been touched in over 20 years.

Just wondering what folks think. I'm currently finishing my
instrument training and plan to use it for some light IFR cross-country
trips later on.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old August 13th 03, 04:13 PM
Maule Driver

My AI failed at 300 hours. Had it overhauled and it's running strong at
900. No recommendations here though. Just don't know enough.

Old August 13th 03, 04:36 PM
Steve

Light IFR cross country can turn into hard IFR cross country. Consider the
importance of the instrument and then decide whether it would be better to
buy a new one or overhaul a 20 year old AI. I think you already know what
you should do.

Old August 13th 03, 05:02 PM

Steve wrote:
: Light IFR cross country can turn into hard IFR cross country. Consider the
: importance of the instrument and then decide whether it would be better to
: buy a new one or overhaul a 20 year old AI. I think you already know what
: you should do.

Well, that's why I'm leaning towards a new one. I'm really not
considering overhauling the one I've got, but possibly purchasing a used
overhauled unit. Most likely not, though... 'tis a rather important
instrument...

Old August 13th 03, 08:46 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I'm as frugal as anyone (c h e a p is the word my bride uses) but, cutting
corners on something that will kill you is not good.. I do not overhaul or
buy a used primary gyro, altimeter, or compass... The savings aren't more
than pocket change, and the downside can be a long ways down...
Now having said that, when it comes to upholstery, radios, gadgets, etc.,
cheap is good!
Denny

Old August 13th 03, 09:01 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
wrote:
So, the question is, used, overhauled, or new?

Whatever you do, get a heading bug. And if you think you'll ever put
an autopilot in it, consider getting one with bootstrap heading output.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 14th 03, 01:33 AM
Jim Weir

I'd think twice about a new one. There was an intermediate period in the gyro
world where we gave up on the old AN style gyro but still hadn't migrated to the
plastic and potmetal crap that passes inspection for new today. It sounds to me
like you've got one of those good, solid instruments (after all, it ran for
twenty years, didn't it?) and I'd probably opt for getting a good overhaul with
first quality bearings on the old unit.

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com