Bose Headsets

Old June 14th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Bose Headsets

I've only tried my new Bose for one flight but I was impressed... I'll
just give them the $82 a month and be done with it before ya know it...

B A R R Y wrote:
RK Henry wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:02:51 -0400, "Kobra"
wrote:

My main complaint with the Bose is the price.

I am curious about what Bose brings to the product that makes it worth
the extra money.

Because people pay it. G

Do I think my Bose X is WORTH $995? Not really.

Am I happy I bought them every time I use them? Absolutely.

After trying them for 30 days, I bent over, heald my cheeks, and kept
the headset, simply because I liked them enough to pay the price of
admission.

Old June 14th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Kobra" wrote in message
news
Jon,

My main complaint with the Bose is the price. Everytime I see the ad I
feel like I need to put on a chastity belt to protect my bung hole.

I've compared them to my Lightspeed 30-3G's and they are the same in noise
reduction, but the Bose are far superior in comfort and size.

I own a pair of the Lightspeed 20-3G headsets which have been back to the
factory around 5 times since I bought them. When they work they do a good
job of noise reduction and are reasonably comfortable. Because of all the
problems I've had with them I decided this year to relagate them to the back
seat. At Sun n Fun I went shopping for a replacement set. My first stop was
the Bose tent. I tried on the headset and sat through the sales pitch. I had
planned on purchasing the Bose when I went there but decided to try some
others before I laid down my AMU's. After trying a number of different
headsets I found that for me the Bose headsets did not have any better noise
reduction or sound quality. I also did not find them to be as comfortable as
the Senheiser headsets I wound up purchasing for half the price. I've been
using the Senheisers since SNF and man am I glad I bought them. The passive
reduction is much better than the Lightspeeds and the ANR works great. I
haven't flown with the Bose so I can't compare them but I can't imagine they
could be worth double the money.

Old June 14th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Rich Badaracco wrote:

I also did not find them to be as comfortable as
the Senheiser headsets I wound up purchasing for half the price. I've been
using the Senheisers since SNF and man am I glad I bought them.

What Sennheiser headset model did you purchase?

--
Peter
Old June 15th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

OTOH, an ordinary noise attenuating headset loses effectiveness when
you stick eyeglass (or sunglass) temple pieces between your head and
the ear cushion. The bump around the temple pieces allows noise to
leak in. Years ago, David Clark sold little foam wedges that slipped
on your eyeglasses to smooth over that gap. They worked well, but
apparently they're no longer available. Does ANR eliminate the need
for such accessories?

Yes.

(I've owned six pair of ANR headsets...and I wear glasses.)

BTW: I've not been able to justify spending $1K on Bose headsets. I've been
with Lightspeeds almost since they started, and can testify that they have
solved their early problems with durability. They have features that Bose
simply does not offer (built-in cellphone/MP3 interface) , and they stand
behind their product like no other company I've ever seen.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 15th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay,

They have features that Bose
simply does not offer (built-in cellphone/MP3 interface) , and they stand
behind their product like no other company I've ever seen.

And the alleged bulkiness is a matter of taste, pure and simple.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 15th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

BTW: I've not been able to justify spending $1K on Bose headsets. I've
been with Lightspeeds almost since they started, and can testify that they
have solved their early problems with durability. They have features
that Bose simply does not offer (built-in cellphone/MP3 interface) , and
they stand behind their product like no other company I've ever seen.

I don't like to wear mine anymore. After the Bose, the Lightspeed feels
like having two heavy pillows clamped to my head.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 15th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I don't like to wear mine anymore. After the Bose, the Lightspeed feels
like having two heavy pillows clamped to my head.

That is high praise, indeed, since our Lightspeeds are the most comfortable
headsets either of us has ever worn.

I'll have to borrow a pair of Bose for a long trip, someday...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 15th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

They have features that Bose
simply does not offer (built-in cellphone/MP3 interface) , and they stand
behind their product like no other company I've ever seen.

And the alleged bulkiness is a matter of taste, pure and simple.

Agreed. I don't find Lightspeeds to feel bulky at all, and (compared to our
old Flightcoms and Telexs) they are quite light weight.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 15th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

I don't like to wear mine anymore. After the Bose, the Lightspeed feels
like having two heavy pillows clamped to my head.

That is high praise, indeed, since our Lightspeeds are the most comfortable
headsets either of us has ever worn.

When I used to wear my Lightspeed 25 or 33s in the cold of the winter, I
recall that it used to take about twenty minutes to a half hour before the
foam ear pads would completely warm up and mold properly to the side of my
head.

After three winters with the Bose, I discovered that the Bose ear seals
needed no warm up at all before they were comfortably adhering to the side
of my head.

FWIW...

--
Peter
Old June 15th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It seems all Bose items are more expensive, not just in aviation. RK,
depending on your age, your future hearing may depend on ANR. Granted,
that the non-ANR headsets are better than nothing, protect your hearing
the best you can. Before I bought ANRs (LightSpeed) I would cram in the
little foam ear plugs, then put on the headset. There were so many years
I flew with no headset.

Ross
KSWI

wrote:

My main complaint with the Bose is the price.

I am curious about what Bose brings to the product that makes it worth
the extra money. Or David Clark for that matter. I've fantasized about
a ANR headset but am deterred by the money. I'll just have to make do
with the old-fashioned foam-stuffed noise attenuating headset. If
someone can give a good reason to put up the money, I'd like to hear
it.

RK Henry

Bose active headsets Matt Johnson Piloting 0 November 22nd 05 08:38 AM
Bose active headsets Rip Piloting 1 November 14th 05 12:20 AM
Bose active headsets Mark Manes Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:52 AM
Bose active headsets kontiki Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:12 AM
My Bose headsets are shocking me! Peter R. Owning 5 February 17th 04 01:16 PM