OT (It's even controversy free) Here is an interesting scenario. . .

Old July 7th 04, 05:12 AM
Scott Ferrin

Default OT (It's even controversy free) Here is an interesting scenario. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

Now suppose terrorist group B claims the $25 million bounty on
al-Zarqawi? Do we pay? On the one hand paying shows we keep our word
and could encourage further work by the "enemy of my enemy". On the
other hand it could put $25 million in the cofers of terrorists (be
they on "our side" or not). Glad that one's not my decision though I
suspect there could be a middle-man to grease the wheels. Technically
if we paid we'd be supporting terrorism or at the very least a
vigilante group. Of course here in the US our superheros tend to all
be vigilantes (Can we say Spiderman :-) ). Any thoughts?
Old July 7th 04, 08:35 AM
Tamas Feher

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

"The Arabic-language TV network Al-Arabiya said it received a
taped statement from an organization that calls itself the Rescue
Group warning al-Zarqawi and his followers to leave Iraq or face
the consequences."

That Rescue Group is probably the CIA itself. Quite ridiculous.

Old July 7th 04, 11:28 AM
tscottme

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

Now suppose terrorist group B claims the $25 million bounty on
al-Zarqawi? Do we pay? On the one hand paying shows we keep our word
and could encourage further work by the "enemy of my enemy". On the
other hand it could put $25 million in the cofers of terrorists (be
they on "our side" or not). Glad that one's not my decision though I
suspect there could be a middle-man to grease the wheels. Technically
if we paid we'd be supporting terrorism or at the very least a
vigilante group. Of course here in the US our superheros tend to all
be vigilantes (Can we say Spiderman :-) ). Any thoughts?

We should make the bounty decline, quickly. It starts at $25M and is cut in
half every week or month. Frankly I don't like the bounty, I like
Roman-type ruthless pursuit of the enemy. Give those on the fence a choice
between ****ing off our enemies or us and make it clear we can make them one
thousand times more sorry they ****ed us off. We need a General Sherman to
conduct operations. The people in my part of the world didn't like that
stark choice but it put a stop to the fantasy of resisting. A quick
decisive war will kill fewer people than a generation-long small war. We
need more victory and less concern.

Make the locals race each other to turn in the people we are after.

--
Scott

"The enemy is radical Islam and state-sponsored terrorism; the obstacles to
success are the French and American liberals.." - Joseph A. Klein

Old July 7th 04, 02:33 PM
Eliminate SPAM

Tamas Feher wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

"The Arabic-language TV network Al-Arabiya said it received a
taped statement from an organization that calls itself the Rescue
Group warning al-Zarqawi and his followers to leave Iraq or face
the consequences."

That Rescue Group is probably the CIA itself. Quite ridiculous.

Actually, Tamas, the only thing ridiculous is your denial of the fact
that some of the Iraqi people could grow so tired of the terrorists
targeting and killing Iraqis that they would decide to do something
about it themselves. The recent tapes showing how many of the suicide
terrorists are from outside of Iraq probably didn't help matters any,
either.

Sounds like a very positive step to me. They are likely to have access
to better intelligence than the US forces, and potentially be more
effective because of it.