Do you ever use standby on your transponder?

Old September 15th 05, 08:25 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

Granted this transponder does have an automatic STBY/ON and visa-versa
switching ability, but upon landing it does not seem to switch quickly
enough to prevent the erroneous traffic alerts.

You can adjust that. There is a timeout after which it will go to GND
mode after the speed falls below the threshold speed (30 knots is
default, I think). The default delay is 30 seconds, I think, giving you
time to taxi off the runway. But you can set that to zero. Google for
the 330 set-up manual if you don't have it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 15th 05, 08:27 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think that is a myth. I don't think the computer shows ATC your
signal if your altitude shows you at ground level.

It's not a myth. The computer doesn't know where the ground is, it filters
out only whatever it's told to filter out.

Old September 15th 05, 08:29 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

I set to "Standby" on the ground, to prevent reflections that could
damage the unit.

What reflections would do that and how?

Old September 15th 05, 08:34 PM
Peter R.

Thomas Borchert wrote:

You can adjust that. There is a timeout after which it will go to GND
mode after the speed falls below the threshold speed (30 knots is
default, I think). The default delay is 30 seconds, I think, giving you
time to taxi off the runway.

Thanks, Tom. I will look into changing this value.

--
Peter

Old September 15th 05, 09:04 PM
Hilton

Larry Dighera wrote:
I was taught to switch from standby upon starting to roll down the
runway for departure.

You were taught to mess with non-essential stuff on the runway? I once flew
with an VFR pilot - he wanted to see what IMC was like - it was a great
flight (lots of IMC) and he did amazingly well in the clouds - I was
impressed. I let him land - right after we touched down, his hands were
moving around the panel so fast I finally just slapped his hands hands and
said "Stop! Do that when we're stopped on a taxiway."

Hilton

Old September 15th 05, 09:18 PM
OtisWinslow

I was taught the old "lights, camera, action" deal. When I'm preparing to
cross the hold
line onto the active runway on goes the landing light, and the xpndr to Mode
C from
Stby. When I cross the hold line after landing .. it's Xpndr to Stby,
landing light
off (unless it's nite), and electric fuel pump off.

..
"Maule Driver" wrote in message
.. .
I don't. It stays on 24/7 (you know what I mean). 1200 unless given a
code. It effectively prevents "Maule, check your transponder" unless using
the wrong code.

I make no attempt to turn it off or go to standby while taxiing or
anything else. I've never been asked to go to standby or otherwise
questioned.

This has been discussed before but I'd suggest the everyone can do this
without causing a problem for anyone.

Old September 15th 05, 10:04 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:04:21 GMT, "Hilton"
wrote in .net::

Larry Dighera wrote:
I was taught to switch from standby upon starting to roll down the
runway for departure.

You were taught to mess with non-essential stuff on the runway?

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "non-essential."

I was taught the "Lights, Camera, Action" reminder phrase where
'camera' signifies transponder on. This mantra is to be uttered in
the beginning of the takeoff roll.

Lights: strobe, landing lights, etc.
Camera: transponder
Action: mixture, props, throttle, airspeed alive, ...

Lots more he http://tinyurl.com/8meqw
Old September 15th 05, 10:22 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Orval,

I set to "Standby" on the ground, to prevent reflections that could
damage the unit.

Say again? Or rather, explain that, please.

Most TXP antennae are belly-mounted. They send out a rather strong EM
signal that can reflect off the pavement and overwhelm the receiver
portion of the TXP, possibly damaging it.
Old September 15th 05, 10:26 PM
Newps

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:15:14 GMT, Maule Driver
wrote in
::

I don't.

I was taught to switch from standby upon starting to roll down the
runway for departure. The reasoning that was cited had to do with
radar clutter on the airport surface.

ADS-B may change this practice, however.

The change was made eons ago. There's no reason to turn the transponder
to STBY anymore.
Old September 15th 05, 10:27 PM
Newps

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I set to "Standby" on the ground, to prevent reflections that could
damage the unit.

??? Now there's a new one.

Operation without a transponder flyer Piloting 11 September 14th 04 08:48 AM
Transponder test after static system opened? Jack I Owning 6 March 14th 04 03:09 PM
Transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 11 February 28th 04 06:38 AM
More on transponder petition Ian Cant Soaring 1 February 27th 04 06:37 PM