carb ice

Old September 5th 04, 01:37 AM
john smith

Tony Woolner wrote:
Will using the jpi gauge on my Warrior correctly prvent the formation of
carbutetor ice?

No, carburetor heat will prevent the formation of carburetor ice.
I wasn't aware JPI made a carburetor inlet temperature gauge.

Old September 5th 04, 06:20 AM

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 18:29:08 -0400, Tony Woolner
wrote:

Will using the jpi gauge on my Warrior correctly prvent the formation of
carbutetor ice?

I don't think any gauge will prevent carb ice but I have a Lamar
Iceman instrument that is supposed to detect it by way of a probe in
the carb. Light passes across a gap and if the light transmission is
occluded, it signals that there's ice in the carb. Or the literature
says it does. I had it installed and to this day I don't know if it
works. The company didn't offer help to my installation shop about how
to wire the audio into my panel. So it sits there, never used. But it
wouldn't prevent icing even if it worked.
Old September 5th 04, 04:20 PM
Bob Miller

We had an "Iceman" in the (O-360) Mooney for a couple of years. The
instrument worked very well and detected the ice right when it was
starting to form. For education, we tried letting the ice build up
but at cruise power settings, the Lyco O-360 seems pretty resistant.
We removed the indicator and sold it to a Skylane owner for reasons
unrelated to its performance. If I had a Skylane, it would be more
important to me

Old September 5th 04, 11:29 PM
Tony Woolner

Default carb ice

Old September 6th 04, 12:41 PM
Tony Woolner

leaning the mixture as well as carb heat should melt carbice?

john smith wrote:

Tony Woolner wrote:
Will using the jpi gauge on my Warrior correctly prvent the formation of
carbutetor ice?

No, carburetor heat will prevent the formation of carburetor ice.
I wasn't aware JPI made a carburetor inlet temperature gauge.

Have you ever experienced carb ice with an injector carb? flybynightkarmarepair Home Built 1 January 31st 05 01:48 AM
WANTED ROTAX 912 CARB SYNCHRONIZATION KIT kksksk Home Built 0 November 15th 04 09:43 PM
alternate carb heat Ray Toews Home Built 16 October 29th 04 12:41 PM
Carb heat shroud Gene Seibel Owning 3 January 27th 04 04:13 AM
Carb Temperature Gauge fly_the_skies Home Built 6 January 14th 04 03:32 PM